Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Fight Against Aging
Enters a 'Whole New Era'
May 17, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Fight Against Aging Enters a 'Whole New Era'
Young spinal fluid is seen to improve memory in older mice, per new research
- Researchers are heralding "a whole new era" in the search for Alzheimer's treatments, with a new study suggesting those treatments don't necessarily need to address damage in the brain. Tony Wyss-Coray of Stanford University previously showed infusions of blood from younger animals could reverse the effects of...
She Was Upbeat
Mar 4, 2022 11:15 AM CST
Stanford Soccer Player's Parents: She Was Upbeat Before Death
'Heartbroken' Gina and Steven Meyer don't know what triggered Katie Meyer to take her own life
The parents of a star Stanford soccer player who took her own life spoke out Friday in the hope of helping other families, saying they had no "red flags" she was struggling with her mental health, reports NBC News . In an appearance on the
show , Gina and...
This Is the Best
College in America
Oct 18, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
This Is the Best College in America
MIT is No. 1, at least according to WalletHub
- Deciding where to go to college can be a stressful time for high schoolers. For those who are determined to attend the best of the best, WalletHub tries to ease the burden by sifting through all the pros and cons of more than 1,000 higher-ed institutions. The site looked...
Law Student's Satirical Flier
Jeopardized His Diploma
Jun 3, 2021 11:26 AM CDT
Law Student's Satirical Flier Jeopardized His Diploma
But Stanford will let Nicholas Wallace graduate after all, following mockery of Federalist Society
- It's nearly graduation day at Stanford, but a free-speech controversy on campus has stolen some of the attention. The details of what's happening:
In January, a few weeks after the Jan. 6 riots, Stanford law student Nicholas Wallace put out a fake flier mocking the Federalist Society, a
2 Hikers Aim to Finish
Coveted 'Triple Crown'
Jan 18, 2021 12:16 PM CST
2 Hikers Aim to Finish Coveted 'Triple Crown'
Stanford pair hope to be youngest to hike 3 mammoth trails in one calendar year
- Two Stanford students started hiking on New Year's Day and don't plan to stop for the better part of a year—all part of their goal to become the youngest hikers to claim the "Calendar Year Triple Crown," reports the
Los Angeles Times
. In other words,...
She Was No. 1 and
Headed to Stanford.
Then Came the Hits
Dec 27, 2020 6:00 AM CST
She Was No. 1 and Headed to Stanford. Then Came the Hits
The 'LAT' looks at what happened to volleyball star Hayley Hodson
April 2015 cover featured the No. 1 college volleyball recruit in America: Hayley Hodson. A lengthy December 2020
Los Angeles Times
article about the player has a less positive flavor. The Californian, now 24, played for Stanford as a freshman and alleges that two blows to the...
'First in the Room!
Back of the Line!'
Dec 19, 2020 8:15 AM CST
Doctors Protest Vaccine Plan: 'First in the Room! Back of the Line!'
Stanford medical residents miffed after finding out front-line workers weren't prioritized for COVID shots
- Stanford Health Care has issued an apology after word on how it would distribute its coronavirus vaccine backfired. According to Stanford's vaccine dissemination plan published earlier this week, priority for the shots was to be given to "those who provide direct care and service to patients, those who...
How Tara VanDerveer
Plans to Mark Her 1,099th Win
Dec 16, 2020 10:55 AM CST
How Tara VanDerveer Plans to Mark Her 1,099th Win
Stanford coach to donate $10,990 to food banks
- Tara VanDerveer made history, and then took a moment to tell her Stanford players what they mean to her. VanDerveer became the winningest women's college basketball coach Tuesday night, passing the late Pat Summitt with her 1,099th victory as No. 1 Stanford romped to a 104-61 victory over...
Here's What Happens
When You Sleep
Through Your Nobel Call
Oct 13, 2020 6:31 AM CDT
Here's What Happens When You Sleep Through Your Nobel Call
Robert Wilson, who won economics prize, crossed the street in PJs to alert fellow winner Paul Milgrom
- No one wants to hear their doorbell ring in the middle of the night, but Paul Milgrom will probably give Bob Wilson a pass. That's because Wilson, who won the Nobel Prize in Economics on Monday, was forced to trudge out in his pajamas to alert his Stanford colleague,...
Harry, Meghan Sack
Feb 14, 2020 11:22 AM CST
Harry, Meghan Sack Palace Employees
Charitable foundation is the focus amid trip to Stanford
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are clearing out of Buckingham Palace. The couple are closing their office in the Queen's main London residence and laying off their 15-member staff as they withdraw from royal life, CNN reports. Staffers including private secretary Fiona Mcilwham, communications chief Sara Latham, and assistant...
Student Found Dead
at Stanford University
Jan 20, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Student Found Dead at Stanford University
Not much is yet known about male sophomore found in Theta Delta Chi fraternity house
- It's not yet clear what happened to a male sophomore at Stanford University who was found dead Friday morning inside an on-campus fraternity house, the
reports. The Palo Alto Fire Department found the unresponsive student in the Theta Delta Chi house and tried to revive him but...
New Path to Curing
the Common Cold
Sep 18, 2019 3:48 PM CDT
Research Finds New Path to Curing the Common Cold
Scientists use gene editing to block protein that viruses need to spread
- It's not a cure just yet, but researchers have found a way to stop the spread of viruses that cause half of all common colds. Teams at Stanford and the University of California-San Francisco used gene editing to prevent cells from supplying a protein that the viruses need to...
$6.5M College Bribery Mystery
May Have Been Solved
May 2, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
$6.5M College Bribery Mystery May Have Been Solved
Sources say Chinese parents paid to get daughter into Stanford
- It was the big unanswered question in the college admissions bribery scandal—who paid $6.5 million , far more than any other parents, to get their kid into college? Sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
that the parents in question are those of Yusi Zhao, a Chinese student who was...
Suicide: 'If I Am
Not an Athlete,
I Am Nothing'
in case you missed it
Apr 13, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Days Before Suicide: 'If I Am Not an Athlete, I Am Nothing'
Kelly Catlin was 'obsessed with success': 'NYT'
- A Stanford graduate student with an Olympic silver medal under her belt, Kelly Catlin was bound for "something great." Or so her mother thought. Poised for a shot at gold with the US women's cycling team at the 2020 Olympics, Catlin felt differently. In a January email—...
Student Embroiled in
Apr 8, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Stanford Expels Student Embroiled in Admissions Scandal
Student had falsified sailing credentials, the university says
- The only Stanford student known to be associated with the massive college admissions scandal has been expelled from the university, the
reports. The female student, whose identity hasn't been released, was admitted through the standard process—not as a recruited athlete—but her application included falsified sailing...
Cops: Ivy Leaguer on LSD
Attempted a Horrible Crime
Mar 6, 2019 5:14 PM CST
Cops: Ivy Leaguer on LSD Attempted a Horrible Crime
James Shirvell, 26, allegedly tried killing a woman he lives with
- An Ivy League graduate has been arrested for allegedly trying to murder a woman while they were trying out LSD, NBC Bay Area reports. James Shirvell, 26, was collared just after midnight Sunday in San Franciso and hit with charges including attempted murder, domestic violence, and assault with a deadly...
10 Best Colleges for the Money
Oct 24, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
10 Best Colleges for the Money
MIT tops the list
- If you're going to fork over close to $50,000 a year to go to college—the top-end average for tuition, room, and board at a four-year school—you want the best ROI on your money. WalletHub looked at close to 1,000 of America's higher-education venues, examining...
College' Is Named
Sep 7, 2018 12:17 PM CDT
'America's Best College' Is Named
Harvard tops list in 'Wall Street Journal' rankings
- "Hidden gems" emerge in an annual ranking of US colleges, a collaboration between the
Wall Street Journal
and Times Higher Education, though the school taking the top spot for a second year in a row is far from hidden—it's called Harvard. Factoring in resources, engagement, environment, and...
Century Later, Death of
Stanford Founder a Mystery
Jan 16, 2018 6:25 PM CST
Century Later, Death of Stanford Founder a Mystery
The suspicious demise of Jane Stanford sure looks like a homicide
- Everyone's heard of Stanford University, but perhaps not the story of the suspicious death of co-founder Jane Stanford back in 1905. The
San Francisco Chronicle
looks back and finds that it sure looks like Stanford was poisoned by strychnine while in Hawaii—as opposed to succumbing to a heart...
May Be Heading
Back to Court
Dec 2, 2017 12:19 PM CST
Brock Turner May Be Heading Back to Court
Stanford swimmer is appealing his sex assault conviction
- A former Stanford swimmer convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman outside a campus fraternity party is appealing, the AP reports. In an appeal filed Friday, lawyers for Brock Turner said the initial trial was "a detailed and lengthy set of lies." They hope a new trial will...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.