Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Nov 9, 2015 3:00 PM CST
Missouri Student Ends Hunger Strike, Calls Situation 'Vile'
Jonathan Butler had protested against campus prejudice
- Jonathan Butler can finally savor a good meal—and the taste of victory. The 25-year-old University of Missouri graduate student, who began a hunger strike on Nov. 2, posted a tweet Monday in the wake of school President Tim Wolfe's resignation : "The #MizzouHungerStrike is officially over!" Butler...
Student Goes on
to Fix 'Infected'
Nov 6, 2015 8:51 AM CST
Student Goes on Hunger Strike to Fix 'Infected' Campus
U of Missouri student wants president gone over racist, sexist, homophobic incidents
- Jonathan Butler isn't planning on eating "until either Tim Wolfe is removed from office or my internal organs fail and my life is lost." Those were the words the graduate student wrote in a letter sent Monday to University of Missouri officials, declaring he's on a...
Strike, but They
Sep 21, 2015 1:04 PM CDT
Parents End 34-Day Hunger Strike, but They Aren't Done
Chicago protesters plan to keep up fight for 'green tech' school
- Protesting parents in Chicago ended their 34-day hunger strike on Saturday—not because they're giving up their battle over a high school in a predominantly African-American neighborhood, but because they want to have the strength to keep fighting. "We decided that we will feed our bodies so that...
a Closed School
Aug 25, 2015 10:54 AM CDT
Chicago Parents Hunger-Striking Over a Closed School
'We have to starve ourselves to have our voices heard,' says protest leader
- Protesters in Chicago say they haven't eaten in eight days and will continue their hunger strike until a proposal to turn a former high school into a new "green tech" school is accepted. For years, members of the Coalition to Revitalize Dyett High School have fought to preserve...
Palestinian Hunger Striker
Suffers Brain Damage
Aug 19, 2015 5:40 PM CDT
Palestinian Hunger Striker Suffers Brain Damage
Israeli court suspends detention of Mohammed Allan
- A Palestinian lawyer who hasn't eaten in more than two months to protest his detention in Israel won a court victory today, though he's likely not aware of it. Mohammed Allen, 31, remains sedated in a hospital, and a medical exam shows that he has suffered brain damage...
'Special Threat Group'
Inmates in Utah Won't Eat
Aug 4, 2015 6:43 AM CDT
'Special Threat Group' Inmates in Utah Won't Eat
They say they're kept in their cells all but 3 hours a week
- The maximum-security Utah State Prison sits about 20 miles outside of Salt Lake City, in Draper, Utah. Within its walls, in the Uinta 2 housing unit, live what's referred to as the Special Threat Group, or STG. These inmates, who have been branded violent, say they're kept in...
to Have Baby
at 25 Weeks
Aug 18, 2014 4:00 PM CDT
Denied Abortion, Woman Forced to Have Baby at 25 Weeks
Irish case tests new law that permits some abortions
- The abortion issue is heating up in Ireland, where a woman was denied termination under a new law—then threatened a hunger strike and was forced to have a Caesarean section, the
reports. The woman (impregnated via rape, a friend says) demanded an abortion at eight weeks' pregnancy and...
Secret Tapes of Gitmo
Force-Feedings Do Exist
May 22, 2014 1:34 PM CDT
Secret Tapes of Gitmo Force-Feedings Do Exist
Well, at least tapes of one detainee being force-fed
- In an unprecedented ruling, non-government officials have been given the go-ahead to view secret recordings that depict force-feedings at Guantanamo Bay—a ruling that by its nature establishes the fact that these tapes actually do exist, reports the
. A federal judge yesterday ruled that lawyers for Abu Wa’el...
No One Intervened as
Ky. Inmate Starved to Death
Apr 21, 2014 1:25 PM CDT
No One Intervened as Ky. Inmate Starved to Death
Prison doctor has been fired, criminal investigation opened
- A 57-year-old Kentucky inmate is dead after going on a five-week hunger strike, dropping 50 pounds between September and his death in January. A prison doctor was fired and two other staffers are in the process of being dismissed over the death of James Kenneth Embry, 57, found dead in...
in Cuban Jail
Apr 8, 2014 9:09 AM CDT
American on Hunger Strike in Cuban Jail
Alan Gross has been jailed for 4 years, wants out
- After four years cooling his heels in a Cuban prison, American Alan Gross has begun a hunger strike he says is a protest against his treatment by both Havana and Washington. Gross, 64, was arrested in 2009 while working for USAID as a sub-contractor to get Internet access to Cuba'...
New Radar Evidence
the Jet Turned West
Mar 18, 2014 11:17 AM CDT
New Radar Evidence the Jet Turned West
Thai military releases its data
- Thailand is offering what CNN calls "the second radar evidence" that the missing Malaysia Airlines flight took an altered path toward the Strait of Malacca. All looked normal on Thailand's military radar until 1:22am, when Flight 370 vanished. Within six minutes, an unknown aircraft was spotted moving...
Why 30K US
Inmates Went on
Mar 2, 2014 6:53 AM CST
Why 30K US Inmates Went on Hunger Strike
Solitary confinement drove alleged gang leaders to make a statement
- Last summer, four prison inmates organized a hunger strike from their solitary-confinement cells and inspired 30,000 prisoners to join them —a stunning development that says a lot about US prisons, writes Benjamin Wallace-Wells in
. The four guys—allegedly leaders of white, black, and Latino gangs—were...
Sep 27, 2013 2:02 PM CDT
Hunger Strike Puts Jailed Pussy Rioter in Hospital
Nadezhda Tolokonnikova hasn't eaten in five days
- Nadezhda Tolokonnikova has been moved to the medical ward at the Mordovia penal colony, after five days of refusing to eat, Russian state-run media reported today. The 23-year-old Pussy Riot member declared that she was going on hunger strike after her request to move to a different prison was denied....
59 Days Later, California Prisoners End Hunger Strike
Sep 5, 2013 11:36 AM CDT
59 Days Later, California Prisoners End Hunger Strike
40 had been striking since July 8
- California inmates have ended a nearly two-month hunger strike to protest the prison system's isolation policies, prison officials said today. More than 30,000 inmates, who said gang leaders are often held for decades in isolation units, had been refusing meals when the strike began July 8. By this...
Judge: OK to
Aug 20, 2013 6:44 AM CDT
Judge: OK to Force-Feed Calif. Inmates
Backs officials' request as 129 remain on hunger strike
- As a prison hunger strike continues in California, a federal judge has given officials the go-ahead to force-feed inmates. The procedure is allowed if a prison's medical chief finds that an inmate is "at risk of near-term death or great bodily injury" or can't make his or...
Woman: 16 Days in NJ Jail
a 'Death Sentence'
Aug 9, 2013 9:48 AM CDT
Woman: 16 Days in NJ Jail a 'Death Sentence'
Topless-rights activist Phoenix Feeley threatens hunger strike
- Phoenix Feeley thinks that conditions at Monmouth County Jail in New Jersey are so bad that a 16-day stay there amounts to a "death sentence." Feeley, a 33-year-old professional fire-eater, has been locked up for refusing to pay a $816 fine for going topless at Spring Lake beach...
Take It From an Ex-Con:
Jul 17, 2013 12:49 PM CDT
Take It From an Ex-Con: Solitary Confinement
California's striking inmates deserve our attention: Wilbert Rideau
- At last count, about 2,500 inmates in California were still taking part in a hunger strike that began on July 8. If corrections officials were smart, they'd pay careful attention to the inmates' complaints, writes Wilbert Rideau in the
New York Times
. The main one is that prisons...
Gitmo Hunger Strikers
Have Eaten: Officials
Jul 13, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
Gitmo Hunger Strikers Have Eaten: Officials
But that doesn't mean the strike is over: Lawyers
- The Guantanamo hunger strike may be coming to an end, with 99 of the 102 hunger strikers reportedly eating on Friday, according to military officials, the
reports. But were they really ending their strike or just pausing for Ramadan? Gitmo spokesman Captain Robert Durand says most of the...
30K California Inmates
Join Hunger Strike
Jul 9, 2013 3:13 AM CDT
30K California Inmates Join Hunger Strike
Prisoners demand end to indefinite isolation
- More than 30,000 inmates in California refused meals yesterday in what could be the start of the biggest prison hunger strike in American history—although corrections officials won't consider it a hunger strike until inmates miss nine consecutive meals. Inmates at more than 20 of the state's...
Jun 1, 2013 9:46 AM CDT
Pussy Riot Member Ends Hunger Strike
Maria Alekhina says prison officials met her demands
- A Russian activist says that a jailed member of the punk group Pussy Riot has ended her 11-day hunger strike after prison authorities met her demands. Maria Alekhina had complained that officials at her prison colony in the Ural Mountains attempted to turn fellow inmates against her with a security...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.