Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses
Abound. Now, a New Find
Aug 8, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
At This AFB, Cancer Diagnoses Abound. Now, a New Find
Air Force finds unsafe carcinogen levels at Montana's Malmstrom nuclear missiles base
- The Air Force has detected unsafe levels of a likely carcinogen at underground launch control centers at a Montana nuclear missile base where a striking number of men and women have reported cancer diagnoses. A new cleanup effort has now been ordered, reports the AP . The discovery "is the...
As N. Korea
Jul 28, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
As N. Korea Displays Nukes, a Message From Putin
Russian leader thanked North for its 'firm support' amid Victory Day celebrations in Pyongyang
- Pyongyang hosted quite a military parade Thursday evening, complete with tens of thousands of spectators, a display of North Korea's nuclear weaponry , and delegates from Russia and China . The event, marking the 70th anniversary of the armistice that stopped the fighting in the Korean War, also saw a special...
6 Officers Fired After Missile
Base Gets Inspection 'F'
Mar 2, 2023 6:50 PM CST
6 Officers Fired After Missile Base Gets Inspection 'F'
2 commanders, 4 subordinates relieved of command at North Dakota's Minot Air Force Base
- Six officers at an Air Force nuclear base were fired this week after units failed an inspection meant to ensure the nation's nuclear weapons stockpile is safe and secure, CNN reports. The two commanders and four subordinates "were in charge of caring for the infrastructure, fuel, and logistics...
Reports: N. Korea May
Have Enough ICBMs
to Overwhelm US
Feb 9, 2023 7:37 AM CST
Reports: N. Korea May Have Enough ICBMs to Overwhelm US
Pyongyang trotted out a dozen or so of what it says are Hwasong-17s at Wednesday military parade
- North Korea hosted a military parade Wednesday night in Pyongyang, a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the modern-day Korean People's Army. But one attraction in particular rolling down the streets of Kim Il Sung Square is now drawing international attention: what the nation's government claims were a...
US 'Missileers' Have
Troubling Rates of Cancer
Jan 23, 2023 10:10 AM CST
US 'Missileers' Have Troubling Rates of Cancer
9 officers who worked at nuclear base years ago diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Nine military officers who'd worked decades ago at a nuclear missile base in Montana have been diagnosed with blood cancer, and there are "indications" the disease may be linked to their service, according to military briefing slides obtained by the AP . One of the officers has died. All...
Now Aboard US Subs:
a Nuclear Policy 'Landmark'
Feb 4, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Now Aboard US Subs: a Nuclear Policy 'Landmark'
'Low-yield' long-range missile is first major addition to strategic nuclear arsenal in recent decades
- The US military has deployed a new addition to its nuclear arsenal—a long-range missile armed with a nuclear warhead of reduced destructive power. The so-called low-yield missile has been fitted atop an undisclosed number of Trident ballistic missiles carried aboard the Navy's Ohio-class submarines. The debut deployment aboard...
Latest Launch Was
a 'Grave Moment'
Oct 3, 2019 3:43 AM CDT
North Korea's Latest Launch Was a 'Grave Moment'
New missile can be launched from submarine
- North Korea has confirmed that its latest missile launch involved a new kind of ballistic missile—and it's one that has other countries very worried. Pyongyang says the missile launched early Wednesday was a Pukguksong-3 submarine-launched ballistic missile, which state news agency KCNA said "ushered in a new...
Putin: We'll Target US With
Missiles If We Have To
Feb 20, 2019 9:04 AM CST
Putin: We'll Target US With Missiles If We Have To
Russian leader says he's at the ready, but only if US deploys first anywhere in Europe
- Vladimir Putin is seemingly following DC's lead of late, first by announcing that Russia will, like the US, pull out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, and now by threatening another mirroring. The Russian leader gave his annual speech, akin to the State of the Union, to the nation...
'We Must Prepare for a
World Without the INF Treaty'
Feb 1, 2019 8:11 AM CST
'We Must Prepare for a World Without the INF Treaty'
Pompeo announces the US is withdrawing
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Friday that the US is pulling out of a treaty with Russia that's been a centerpiece of arms control since the Cold War. The American withdrawal, expected for months, follows years of unresolved dispute over Russian compliance with the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces, or...
Putin Boasts About
New Hypersonic Weapon
Dec 26, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Putin Boasts About New Hypersonic Weapon
Kremlin says Avangard test was a success
- Russian President Vladimir Putin oversaw a test Wednesday of a new hypersonic glide vehicle, declaring that the weapon is impossible to intercept and will ensure Russia's security for decades to come. Speaking to Russia's top military brass after watching the live feed of the launch of the Avangard...
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not
According to These Images
Dec 6, 2018 9:50 AM CST
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not According to These Images
Satellite pics shows possible new missile site near border with China
- People lie, satellite images don't—hence why the US and South Korea are closely monitoring a new suspected missile site near North Korea's central border with China. The facility in Hoejung-ni, "one of the most likely sites for deploying intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United...
Show Expansion of
N. Korea Nuclear Plant
Jul 2, 2018 4:06 AM CDT
Satellite Images Show Expansion of N. Korea Nuclear Plant
Trump says it's possible deal won't work out
- President Trump's declaration that there is "no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea" may have been somewhat premature, according to experts analyzing new satellite images from the country. The images show that North Korea is continuing to expand a missile-manufacturing plant in the city of Hamhung, the...
The Possibly 'World-Changing'
Move Kim Could Make Next
Sep 22, 2017 7:44 AM CDT
The Possibly 'World-Changing' Move Kim Could Make Next
North's foreign minister says they could detonate hydrogen bomb over Pacific Ocean
- Tensions between the US and North Korea continue to escalate. First the leader of the former threatened to wipe out the latter . Then Kim Jong Un followed up by calling Trump a "mentally deranged US dotard," and Trump capped that off with a new warning Friday, tweeting that...
Look to Ukraine for
N. Korea's Missile
Aug 14, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
Look to Ukraine for N. Korea's Missile Engines: Expert
Expert analysis points to Dnipro factory as producing engines scooped up by Pyongyang
- Many are worried over North Korea's ICBM launch last month, which analysts say indicate its weapons can now reach the US. And what may be behind this apparent success: liquid-propellant rocket engines from a Ukrainian factory linked to Russia's missile program that were then scooped up on the...
North Korea Details
Guam Strike Plan
Aug 10, 2017 5:01 AM CDT
North Korea Details Guam Strike Plan
Pyongyang calls Trump 'bereft of reason'
- North Korea took things up yet another notch Thursday by issuing detailed plans for a strike near Guam —and some insults directed at President Trump. Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency said a plan to fire four Hwasong-12 intermediate-range ballistic missiles into waters 25 miles off Guam will...
N. Korea: Missile
Launch a Dry Run
for Blowing Up
Jul 20, 2016 1:06 PM CDT
N. Korea: Missile Launch a Dry Run for Blowing Up South's Airports
And US targets
- Three ballistic missiles launched by North Korea Tuesday into the Sea of Japan off of South Korea's eastern coast wasn't just an arbitrary exercise, the
reports. The apparent intent of the Kim Jong Un-approved launch: A dry run at "preemptive strikes at ports and airfields...
Kim Jong Un:
Can Hit US
Jun 23, 2016 7:37 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un: My Missiles Can Hit US Pacific Targets
Experts say North Korea is, at very least, making progress in its launch capabilities
- Japan expressed concern about North Korea's Wednesday Musudan missile launches , especially since one of the two made it more than halfway to Japan. But per Kim Jong Un, Japan shouldn't be alone in its worry, the
reports. "We have the sure capability to attack in an...
Russia: US Missile
in Romania a
May 12, 2016 9:45 AM CDT
Russia: US Missile Defense Site in Romania a 'Direct Threat'
The US says defense site is meant to stifle threats from Iran, not Russia
- A US missile defense site in Romania aimed at protecting Europe from ballistic missile threats went live Thursday, angering Russia, which opposes its presence in its former area of influence, the AP reports. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg tried to reassure Russia as he spoke at a ceremony attended by...
Nuclear Base Investigated
for Drug Use
Mar 18, 2016 11:32 AM CDT
Airmen at Nuclear Base Investigated for Drug Use
It's the latest Air Force embarrassment
- The Air Force is investigating about a dozen airmen at a nuclear missile base for alleged use of illegal drugs, in some cases possibly including cocaine, anonymous defense officials tell the AP . The drug investigation at FE Warren Air Force Base, home of the 90th Missile Wing, was to be...
Troubled Air Force Base
Failed Nuke Drill
May 22, 2014 7:02 AM CDT
Troubled Air Force Base Failed Nuke Drill
Security forces couldn't recapture nuke quickly enough
- Um, whoops? The Air Force failed a drill at a nuclear missile base last summer, according to a previously unreleased internal review obtained by the AP . Armed forces at the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana simulated a hostile takeover of a missile launch silo, but...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.