Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pentagon: US Ships
Were Attacked in Red Sea
Dec 3, 2023 11:50 AM CST
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Houthi rebels report firing on two vessels but don't mention US
- An American warship and multiple commercial ships came under attack Sunday in the Red Sea, the Pentagon said. Yemen's Houthi rebels later claimed attacks on two ships they described as being linked to Israel but did not acknowledge targeting a US Navy vessel. The attack potentially marked a major...
Senate Confirms First Woman
for Joint Chiefs of Staff
Nov 2, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Senate Confirms First Woman for Joint Chiefs of Staff
Nominations of Adm. Lisa Franchetti, two others are approved despite Tuberville's hold
- The Senate easily confirmed three senior military officers for new jobs on Thursday, one of whom will become the first female member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Adm. Lisa Franchetti was approved to lead the Navy, the
reports. The Air Force also got a new boss: Gen....
Veteran to Israel
Oct 23, 2023 5:13 PM CDT
Pentagon Sends Urban Combat Veteran to Israel
Air defense systems also are on their way to Middle East
- The Pentagon has sent military advisers, including a Marine Corps general versed in urban warfare, to Israel to aid in its war planning and is speeding multiple sophisticated air defense systems to the Middle East days ahead of an anticipated ground assault into Gaza. One of the officers leading the...
China Preps for Assault
With Tips Learned From Russia
Oct 20, 2023 1:21 PM CDT
China Preps for Assault With Tips Learned From Russia
Government looks to limit the effect of potential sanctions as it builds up military capability
- A Pentagon report on China's military power says Beijing is exceeding previous projections of how quickly it is building up its nuclear weapons arsenal and is "almost certainly" learning lessons from Russia's war in Ukraine about what a conflict over Taiwan might look like, per the AP...
Pentagon: Footage Shows
Chinese Jets' Risky Behavior
Oct 18, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Pentagon: Footage Shows Chinese Jets' Risky Behavior
Says more than 180 intercepts of US warplanes by Chinese aircraft happened in last 2 years
- The Pentagon has released footage of some of the more than 180 intercepts of US warplanes by Chinese aircraft that have occurred in the last two years—more than the total amount over the previous decade and part of a trend US military officials called concerning. The photos and video...
Oct 5, 2023 6:35 PM CDT
US: Downing Turkey's Drone 'Regrettable'
Pentagon says armed drone came close to American troops in Syria
- Pentagon officials said several warnings were issued before a US fighter jet shot down an armed drone belonging to Turkey on Thursday. The drone was flying close to American ground forces in northeast Syria, US officials said. Fearing the downing will increase the already rising tensions between the two nations,...
Pentagon Official Has Allegedly
Been Dogfighting for 20 Years
Oct 5, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Pentagon Official Has Allegedly Been Dogfighting for 20 Years
Frederick Douglass Moorefield Jr. of communications team faces years in prison
- A senior member of the Pentagon communications staff has allegedly spent the last two decades taking part in a dogfighting ring. Last month, agencies including the FBI and Department of Agriculture raided the Maryland homes of Frederick Douglass Moorefield Jr. and a friend, Mario D. Flythe, finding they kept five...
Senate Goes Around Tuberville,
Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman
Sep 20, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Senate Goes Around Tuberville, Confirms Joint Chiefs Chairman
Charles Brown Jr. will succeed Mark Milley next month
- Gen. Charles Brown Jr., a fighter pilot and former Air Force chief of staff, was confirmed as the nation's next chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Wednesday. His nomination was approved on an 83-11 Senate vote after being held up for months by Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville'...
More Witness Interviews
in Kabul Bombing Ordered
Sep 15, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
More Witness Interviews in Kabul Bombing Ordered
US general says he wants new accounts of airport attack taken seriously
- For the first time, almost 20 eyewitnesses to the bombing at the Kabul airport as US forces were leaving Afghanistan will be able to tell their stories to Pentagon investigators. Gen. Michael Kurilla ordered the interviews of US personnel who were wounded in the August 2021 attack and whose public...
Training of Ukrainian
Pilots on F-16s
Aug 24, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
US Schedules Training of Ukrainian Pilots on F-16s
Crews also will learn how to maintain the fighter jets
- The Pentagon announced Thursday that Ukrainian fighter jet pilots will begin training on US-made F-16s in Arizona, starting in October. The pilots and support personnel will complete English language education at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, in September, then go to Morris Air National Guard Base to...
Pentagon Weighs Changes in
Deploying DC National Guard
Aug 12, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Pentagon Weighs Changes in Deploying DC National Guard
Proposals follow problems with response to George Floyd, Jan. 6 protests
- The Pentagon is developing plans to restructure the National Guard in Washington, DC, in a move to address problems highlighted by the chaotic response to the Jan. 6 riot and safety breaches during the 2020 protests over the murder of George Floyd, the AP reports. The changes under discussion would...
Jul 14, 2023 12:19 PM CDT
House OKs Defense Bill With Eyebrow- Raising Extras
Add-ons in annual legislation include restrictions on abortion, transgender health care, diversity training
- The US House on Friday approved a sweeping annual defense bill that provides an expected 5.2% pay raise for service members but strays from traditional military policy with political add-ons from Republicans to block abortion coverage, diversity initiatives at the Pentagon, and transgender issues that deeply divided the chamber....
Marines Hold Ceremony
to Transfer Power but Can't
Jul 10, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
Marines Hold Ceremony to Transfer Power but Can't
Commandant's position is one of the military jobs frozen by senator
- Gen. David Berger's retirement arrived on schedule Monday after four years atop the Marine Corps, and a colorful ceremony was held, but politics got in the way of a smooth handover of power. "You know, it's been more than a century since the US Marine Corps has...
US to Send Controversial
Weapon to Ukraine
Jul 7, 2023 8:32 AM CDT
US to Send Controversial Weapon to Ukraine
Pentagon will send cluster bombs, banned by many nations over risk to civilians
- The US has just made perhaps its most controversial decision to date in regard to the Russia-Ukraine war: It will send Ukraine controversial munitions commonly known as cluster bombs, report the
and the AP . Many nations, including some of America's closest allies, ban the bombs because of...
Fort Bragg Is
No Longer Fort Bragg
Jun 2, 2023 11:01 AM CDT
Fort Bragg Is No Longer Fort Bragg
Military renames it Fort Liberty, part of a push to rid itself of Confederate names
- Quick, name the biggest military base in the country. The longtime answer of "Fort Bragg" is no longer correct. The Pentagon on Friday formally renamed the gigantic base in North Carolina "Fort Liberty," reports CNN . It's part of the military's ongoing push to rid itself...
No, the Pentagon Didn't
Blow Up Monday
May 23, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
No, the Pentagon Didn't Blow Up Monday
But eerily realistic fake explosion pic, perhaps created by AI, circulated online, shook up stocks
- Most of the tweets on the OSINTdefender Twitter account , which bills itself as an "open source intelligence monitor," have focused lately on the Russian invasion of Ukraine. A post on Monday morning, however, set off alarms closer to home, after a phony image circulated on social media depicting...
Pentagon Finds $3B
in Aid to Ukraine
May 19, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Pentagon Finds $3B Accounting Error in Aid to Ukraine
And it could be a huge boost to the war effort
- The Pentagon says it has overestimated the value of the weapons it has sent to Ukraine by at least $3 billion—an accounting error that could be a boon for the war effort because it will allow the Defense Department to send more weapons now without asking Congress for more...
Colorful Words After
Classified Briefing on Leak
Apr 20, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Senators Have Colorful Words After Classified Briefing on Leak
GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham, after largely unhelpful session on Pentagon leak: 'It’s just a s--- show'
- After last week's flurry of headlines about the Pentagon intelligence leak and the arrest of Massachusetts Air National Guard member Jack Teixeira, the news flow has tapered off—for senators too, it seems. NBC News and the Hill report that lawmakers from both sides of the aisle left a...
US Leak Reveals More
Than War Secrets
Apr 9, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
US Leak Reveals More Than War Secrets
Justice Department investigates while Pentagon assesses the damage
- The leak of US classified documents concerning Ukraine's defense against the Russian invasion has done more than reveal information that could help opposing nations on the battlefield. The files also provide a detailed look at US intelligence operations, including whom the US is spying on and how, the
Pentagon Releases Close-Up
of Chinese Spy Balloon
Feb 22, 2023 8:10 PM CST
Pentagon Releases Close-Up of Chinese Spy Balloon
U-2 pilot took a photo the day before the craft was shot down
- A U-2 pilot flying high above the Chinese spy balloon took a close-up photo of the large white orb just a day before the Air Force shot it down off the South Carolina coast. The photo shows the top of the pilot's helmet inside the U-2 cockpit with the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.