Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Photo Completes Portrait Wall
Honoring 9/11 Attacks' Victims
Jun 30, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Photo Completes Portrait Wall Honoring 9/11 Attacks' Victims
New York exhibition is a tribute to the 2,977 lives taken
- A portrait filled the last vacancy on the photo wall at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum in New York on Wednesday, concluding the almost 16-year-long project to memorialize the hundreds killed as a result of the terrorist attacks of 2001. Antonio Dorsey Pratt's portrait, provided through Voices...
Going to Ukraine
May 23, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
High-Tech Arms Going to Ukraine Include Harpoon Launcher
International meeting of defense leaders discusses sending more advanced weapons
- Nearly 50 defense leaders from around the world met Monday and agreed to send more advanced weapons to Ukraine, including a harpoon launcher and missiles to protect its coast, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told reporters. And Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that "low-level"...
Pentagon: Ukraine Hit Russia's
Warship Before It Sank
Apr 15, 2022 1:22 PM CDT
Pentagon: Ukraine Hit Russia's Warship Before It Sank
Ukrainian forces struck Moskva with two Neptune missiles, says defense official
- Ukraine claimed it caused a Russian warship to sink on Thursday. Russia refuted that claim, saying there was a fire and that the ship simply sank as it was being towed to shore for repairs. Now the Pentagon is weighing in, and it's confirming the Ukrainian side of the...
US Prepares for Test
of North Korean Missile
Mar 10, 2022 6:10 PM CST
US Prepares for Test of North Korean Missile
Next launch of ICBM could be to determine its range
- North Korea is in the middle of testing a new intercontinental ballistic missile, US officials said Thursday, prompting an increase in the readiness level for American missile defense forces in Asia. The tests are being conducted openly this time, officials said, allowing them to prepare for what they expect to...
Pentagon Adjusts Account
of Kabul Airport Attack
Feb 4, 2022 5:20 PM CST
Pentagon Adjusts Account of Kabul Airport Attack
Investigation concludes that a single bomber was responsible
- The mass killing at the Kabul airport last August, as US forces were withdrawing from Afghanistan, was carried out by a single attacker, a Pentagon investigation has found. At least 170 Afghans and 13 American troops were killed in the blast . The Pentagon report says it was caused by one...
'Nervous' Chicken Caught
at Pentagon Checkpoint
Feb 4, 2022 6:36 AM CST
'Nervous' Chicken Caught at Pentagon Checkpoint
It's been named 'Henny Penny'
- A mysterious intruder was found at a Department of Defense security checkpoint earlier this week—and fowl play is suspected. "Apparently, the answer to 'why did the chicken cross the road' is to get to the Pentagon," an animal welfare group tweeted after the bird was spotted...
in the West
Jan 28, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Ukraine Worried About 'Panic' in the West
US defense chief urges Putin to back away from a confict
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin joined the list Friday of political and military leaders around the world urging Russia to turn away from a fight at the Ukraine border. "There's no reason that this situation has to devolve into conflict," Austin said, per the Hill , adding that Russian...
US Places 8.5K Troops
on High Alert for Ukraine
Jan 24, 2022 5:09 PM CST
US Places 8.5K Troops on High Alert for Ukraine
Move is intended to reassure allies, Pentagon says
- Saying "it's very clear the Russians have no intention right now of de-escalating," a Pentagon spokesman announced Monday that 8,500 US troops have been placed on high alert. Should Russia invade Ukraine, most of them would join a NATO response force that hasn't yet become...
New Video Shows
US Drone Strike
That Killed 7 Kids
Jan 20, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New Video Shows US Drone Strike That Killed 7 Kids
'We deeply regret the loss of life,' says US Central Command rep
- The Pentagon has released video footage of last year's botched drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan, which killed 10 civilians, seven of them children. In two silent videos obtained by the
New York Times
through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, two drones observe a car backing into a walled...
Has New Rules
for Use in DC
Dec 30, 2021 4:26 PM CST
National Guard Has New Rules for Use in DC
Approval responsibility shifts to defense secretary
- The Pentagon said Thursday it has streamlined the approval process for urgent use of National Guard forces in the District of Columbia, after months of study following the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol. The changes give the defense secretary sole authority to approve requests that would involve DC...
Dec 13, 2021 5:14 PM CST
Pentagon Won't Punish Anyone for Civilian Deaths
10 people were killed in Kabul after US commanders decided aid worker was with ISIS-K
- The Pentagon won't discipline any US personnel involved in the mistaken drone strike that killed 10 civilians in Afghanistan in August. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin accepted recommendations on the issue that did not include punishment, press secretary John Kirby said Monday. The recommendations from two commanders were mostly procedural,...
6-Year ID Project for Victims
of USS Oklahoma Is Complete
Dec 7, 2021 11:40 AM CST
6-Year ID Project for Victims of USS Oklahoma Is Complete
92% of the victims from Pearl Harbor attack were identified, with 33 remaining 'unknowns'
- A six-year project to identify the crew members killed on the USS Oklahoma when it sank during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor has ended with 33 people still unidentified, the military revealed this week. However, 355 sailors and Marines were identified from dental records or DNA samples supplied by...
Generals Lied About Jan. 6,
Ex-DC Guard Official Charges
Dec 6, 2021 4:59 PM CST
Generals Lied About Jan. 6, Ex-DC Guard Official Charges
Memo says deployment was delayed to avoid the appearance of uniformed troops at Capitol
- A memo by a DC National Guard officer accuses two Army generals of lying to Congress about the response to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol and the Pentagon of trying to cover up the failures. Gen. Charles Flynn and Lt. Gen. Walter Piatt are "absolute and unmitigated...
Trump's Ex-DOD Chief Sues
Pentagon Over Memoir
Nov 29, 2021 7:32 AM CST
Trump's Ex-DOD Chief Sues Pentagon Over Memoir
Mark Esper says Defense Department is blocking parts of his manuscript it thought were 'too candid'
- Mark Esper's memoir,
A Sacred Oath
, is due out in May from William Morrow, but readers may not see everything he originally included in its pages, thanks to the Pentagon. The former defense secretary in the Trump administration is now suing the agency he once led, claiming that sections...
Pentagon Group to
'Mitigate' UFO Threats
Nov 25, 2021 9:50 AM CST
Pentagon Group to 'Mitigate' UFO Threats
Critic argues investigative body will only 'maintain UAP/UFO secrecy'
- There's a new team of experts patrolling the skies for UFOs. The Pentagon on Tuesday announced the creation of a new body to investigate unidentified flying objects, now labeled "unidentified aerial phenomena," after a federal government report published in June failed to explain 143 of 144 sightings...
for a Hotter Planet
Oct 8, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Pentagon Plans for a Hotter Planet
Defense proposal calls for adapting but not for cutting its own fossil fuel use
- A new Pentagon plan calls for incorporating the realities of a hotter, harsher Earth at every level in the US military, from making worsening climate extremes a mandatory part of strategic planning to training troops how to secure their own water supplies and treat heat injury. The Pentagon—whose jets,...
Sep 30, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Suicides Increase, Puzzling Military
Possible contributors include pandemic and war-zone stress
- The number of US military suicides jumped by 15% last year, fueled by significant increases in the Army and Marine Corps that senior leaders called troubling. They urged more effort to reverse the trend, the AP reports. According to data released Thursday, there were 580 suicides last year compared with...
CIA Warned About Civilians
Seconds Before Drone Hit
Sep 18, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
CIA Warned About Civilians Seconds Before Drone Hit
Word came too late to stop the missile that killed 10 people
- A Hellfire missile was on its way to its target, a white Corolla in Kabul, when the CIA realized there were civilians in the area, maybe even children in the vehicle. The agency issued an urgent warning to the US military seconds before the missile struck, killing 10 civilians, seven...
Evidence Raises Questions
About US Drone Strike
Sep 11, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Evidence Raises Questions About US Drone Strike
Driver could have been putting canisters of water, not explosives, in his vehicle
- Video footage and interviews in Kabul have raised questions about the Pentagon's account of the final, fatal US drone attack of the Afghanistan war. The drone struck a vehicle in a residential neighborhood on Aug. 29 that the military said carried explosives and was "an imminent ISIS-K threat"...
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking
Suicide Bombers to Airport
Aug 29, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking Suicide Bombers to Airport
Secondary blasts indicate a load of explosives, officials say
- A US drone strike on a vehicle killed suicide bombers on their way to the Kabul airport on Sunday, Pentagon officials said. US officials said the attack eliminated "an imminent ISIS-K threat," the
New York Times
reports. According to initial reports, no civilians were injured, a spokesman said,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Emmett Till's Family Finds 1955 Warrant, Calls for Arrest
Donald Trump No Longer in Contempt
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.