Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Star Stunt-Driver Dies
in Snowmobile Crash
Jan 3, 2023 8:16 AM CST
Star Stunt-Driver Dies in Snowmobile Crash
Rally champ Ken Block killed at the age of 55 in Wasatch County, Utah
- Ken Block, a motor sports champ and sportswear company co-founder who became an internet sensation for his nail-biting stunts , has died in a snowmobiling accident in Utah, per his Hoonigan Racing team. He was 55. The Wasatch County Sheriff's Office says Block was riding on a steep slope around...
Hilaree Nelson Given
a Sherpa Cremation
Oct 3, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Hilaree Nelson Given a Sherpa Cremation
The ski mountaineer died in a Sept. 26 fall
- Hilaree Nelson died on Sept. 26 after falling thousands of feet when a small avalanche struck as she skied down the 26,781-foot Manaslu in Nepal. On Sunday, she received a traditional funeral at a Sherpa cremation ground in that country. The AP reports family, friends, mountaineers, and government officials...
Nation Halts All Extreme Sports
After 'Man-Made Disaster'
Jun 3, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Nation Halts All Extreme Sports After 'Man-Made Disaster'
Ultramarathon in China's Gansu province, which led to 21 deaths, isn't the only event that's seen problems
- Last month, 21 competitors in a 62-mile ultramarathon in China's Gansu province perished during severe weather that included freezing rain, hail, and frigid strong winds. On Wednesday, in response to that deadly event, the country's sports oversight agency announced it's indefinitely suspending all extreme sports—including ultra-long...
BASE Jump Off a Tourist
High-Rise Ends in Tragedy
Mar 23, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
BASE Jump Off a Tourist High-Rise Ends in Tragedy
31-year-old Timothy Ackerman dies after leaping off condo complex in Panama City Beach
- A Florida man who tried to BASE jump from a high-rise condo complex died over the weekend after his parachute apparently didn't open, and local authorities have now identified him. Per a release from the Panama City Beach Police Department cited by the
Panama City News Herald
, deputies found...
I Tore Down
Dec 2, 2020 7:47 AM CST
'Sketchy Andy': I Tore Down the Monolith
Slackliner Andy Lewis claims he, companions removed Utah structure to save land
- Another apparent piece of the puzzle of the vanishing Utah monolith has been solved. First, photographer Ross Bernards told the
New York Times
that he and his companions saw four men dismantle the shiny structure on Friday night. Now, at least two men have come forward claiming they were part...
Met an 'Unreal' Fate
Sep 23, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
He Conquered Peaks Worldwide, Met an 'Unreal' Fate
Davo Karnicar, first to fully ski down Mount Everest nonstop, is killed in tree-cutting mishap
- In 1995, Davo Karnicar became the first person to successfully ski down Nepal's Annapurna from the top, the lead-in to a more high-profile descent he'd complete five years later: He became the first person to ski nonstop from the summit of Mount Everest to base camp. He went...
He Created the Death Race.
Now, a New Extreme Offering
Oct 17, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
He Created the Death Race. Now, a New Extreme Offering
Meet Andy Weinberg, founder of the Endurance Society
- More than 1 million people clamor their way through a Spartan obstacle race each year. Andy Weinberg has moved on to a more extreme kind of challenge. He's the co-founder of Spartan but no longer a part of it following a legal battle between him and co-founder Joe De...
Swimmer Begins Record
in case you missed it
Jun 9, 2018 11:30 AM CDT
Swimmer Begins Record Japan-California Attempt
Frenchman plans to swim 8 hours a day
- Ben Lecomte has set off from Japan in an effort to swim to California, undaunted by sharks, low temperatures, fierce weather, a gigantic garbage patch—and the fact that nobody has even swum across the Pacific before. But the 51-year-old Frenchman has the right experience to attempt the record-breaking open-water...
Most Climbers Need
3 Days to Conquer This.
These Guys, 2 Hours
Jun 7, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Most Climbers Need 3 Days to Conquer This. These Guys, 2 Hours
Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell say they're never taking on record for El Capitan's 'Nose' again
- Most climbers take three days to scale the 3,000-foot Nose route of Yosemite's El Capitan, perhaps the most intimidating big-wall climbing route on the planet, so it was nothing short of incredible when a pair did it with a time of 2:19:44 last October. Sadly for...
Runner Could Lose Feet After
Attempting Punishing Race
Feb 15, 2018 9:35 AM CST
Runner Could Lose Feet After Attempting Punishing Race
Roberto Zanda was attempting the Yukon Arctic Ultra
- The chances of emerging from a 300-mile race through Canada's Yukon Territory amid temps as low as minus 40 unscathed? Not good for Roberto Zanda. On Feb. 7, what was day six of the nine-day race—which can be completed on foot, skis, or mountain bike—guides working the...
Gets Stuck on
Aug 23, 2017 11:45 AM CDT
BASE Jumper Gets Stuck on Canyon Wall
Rescuers saved the day
- A BASE jumper apparently trying to make it to the floor of an Idaho canyon instead ended up stuck on the canyon wall Tuesday night, KMVT reports. Emergency responders were called to the scene in Twin Falls, where one descended the cliff face to perform a rope rescue, CBS News...
Guy Practicing Parkour
Tumbles 40 Feet
Feb 19, 2017 10:31 AM CST
Guy Practicing Parkour Tumbles 40 Feet Down Chimney
And he's been charged with trespassing for his trouble
- A 26-year-old man says he was making a parkour video with friends when he fell 40 feet down the chimney of a downtown Denver apartment building, reports the AP . Dustin Hinkle tells KCNC-TV that he and a couple of friends were making a parkour video on the roof of the...
An Extreme Sport
Few Are Brave
Enough to Try
Jan 13, 2017 3:30 PM CST
An Extreme Sport Few Are Brave Enough to Try
Spencer Seabrooke tells how he got into slacklining and yes, our hearts are racing
- When Spencer Seabrooke first witnessed the sport of slacklining, or highlining—traversing a not-taut rope stretched high above the ground, calling for greater balance than a traditional tightrope—at a 2012 film fest, he "walked out of there a different person," he says. Writing for
Young Chess Grandmaster
Dies in Extreme Sport Fall
Nov 27, 2016 6:17 AM CST
Young Chess Grandmaster Dies in Extreme Sport Fall
Yuri Eliseev, 20, was apparently practicing parkour, fell from balcony
- Russian news reports say a prominent young chess grandmaster has died after falling from a Moscow balcony apparently while undertaking the extreme sport of parkour. The reports cited police as saying 20-year-old Yuri Eliseev died late Saturday after falling from the 12th story of his apartment building in Moscow, reports...
American 'Speed Flyer' Disappears in Swiss Alps
Mar 29, 2016 4:25 PM CDT
American 'Speed Flyer' Disappears in Swiss Alps
Official search for Harrison Fast was called off Monday
- Family and friends are launching their own search for a 28-year-old Colorado man who disappeared Saturday while speed flying in Switzerland, KDVR reports. According to the AP , speed flyers use special parachutes to fly close to the ground at high speeds while descending mountains. Mechanical engineer Harrison Fast was speed...
Up Hot Air
Jan 8, 2016 9:22 AM CST
Extreme Athlete Dies Setting Up Hot Air Balloon Stunt
Tancrede Melet, 32, was 'at arm's length' from the basket when he fell 100 feet
- A French extreme sportsman described by the Inertia as an "inspiration to the working man" has died at the age of 32 after a hot air balloon stunt backfired, ABC News reports. Tancrede Melet, part of a daredevil group known as the Flying Frenchies , was setting up the stunt...
Skier's 1,600-Foot Fall
Caught on Video
Nov 11, 2015 4:40 PM CST
Skier's 1,600-Foot Fall Caught on Video
'The most terrifying crash I've ever seen'
- Sure it's fast, but it's not the way we would choose to get down a mountain. UPI reports a 24-year-old professional skier survived a 1,600-foot fall while filming footage for an extreme sports film in Alaska's Necola mountains. The film production company, Teton Gravity Research, posted...
Extreme Sports Star
Killed in Skydive
Sep 29, 2015 12:53 AM CDT
Extreme Sports Star Killed in Skydive
Erik Roner slammed into tree at Lake Tahoe
- The world of extreme sports is mourning yet another star killed doing what he loved best. Erik Roner made his name as a ski BASE jumper, but his final stunt was a skydive at a golf course at the Squaw Valley resort in Lake Tahoe, Calif., reports the
Daredevil Pulls Off
Aug 3, 2015 11:00 AM CDT
Daredevil Pulls Off 'Most Hardcore' Stunt Yet
FMX champ pushes the boundaries of motocross
- There's surfing waves, and then there's Australian daredevil Robbie Maddison surfing waves on his motorbike "and performing other God-like activities to slam home the fact that he is not a human," as Jenni Ryall at Mashable puts it. Incredible footage shows Maddison pulling stunts on a...
in Yosemite Stunt
May 18, 2015 6:27 AM CDT
Daredevils Die in Yosemite Stunt
Dean Potter was among best-known extreme athletes
- Extreme athlete Dean Potter, renowned for his daring and sometimes rogue climbs and BASE jumps, was one of two men killed while attempting a wingsuit flight in Yosemite National Park, a park spokesman says. Someone called for help late Saturday after losing contact with Potter, 43, and his climbing partner,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.