Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Svalbard Global Seed Vault
After 'Doomsday Vault'
Withdrawal Comes a Deposit
Feb 14, 2022 12:06 PM CST
After 'Doomsday Vault' Withdrawal Comes a Deposit
Group formerly in Syria deposits seeds for safeguarding, a milestone for the vault
The world's "Doomsday Vault" opened its doors Monday to accept more seeds from abroad. The vault in Norway was taking seeds for safeguarding from facilities in Uganda, Sudan, New Zealand, Germany, and Lebanon, reports Reuters . Most notably, the International Center for Agricultural Research in Dry Areas, formerly...
Scientists Want to Store
a 'Lunar Ark' on the Moon
Mar 16, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Scientists Want to Store a 'Lunar Ark' on the Moon
It would hold frozen samples of sperm, eggs in case disaster strikes on Earth
- It's like an emergency kit, but in this case the label would read, "open in case of Armageddon." Scientists are floating the idea of storing samples of sperm, eggs, spores, and seeds from pretty much every life form on Earth up on the moon, reports CBS News...
Cherokee Nation: 'This
Is History in the Making'
Feb 6, 2020 1:34 PM CST
Cherokee Nation: 'This Is History in the Making'
US tribe is first to deposit heirloom seeds in global vault
- "There will always be a part of the Cherokee Nation in the world," declares the Native American tribe, which will be the first to store its heirloom seeds in the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, better known as the "doomsday vault." In a statement , Senior Director of...
Be Glad You Don't
Live in 'Doomsday
Mar 28, 2019 1:00 AM CDT
Be Glad You Don't Live in 'Doomsday Vault' Town
Its permanently frozen ground isn't so frozen anymore
- Thank your lucky stars you don't live in Longyearbyen. Tucked away on a remote Norwegian island, the town of 2,000 is built on permafrost that's melting due to climate change—which is destabilizing houses, threatening wildlife, and menacing the so-called "doomsday vault," CNN reports. A...
At Doomsday Vault Meant to
Protect Our Seeds, a Breach
May 20, 2017 5:00 AM CDT
At Doomsday Vault Meant to Protect Our Seeds, a Breach
But don't panic just yet
- "This is supposed to last for eternity," says the operator of the so-called Doomsday Vault , which since 2008 has been tucked within a mountain on a Norwegian island 800 miles from the North Pole where the soil is always frozen—or is supposed to be. The
'Doomsday' Vault Just
Made Its 1st 'Real-World Run'
Feb 23, 2017 2:08 PM CST
'Doomsday' Vault Just Made Its 1st 'Real-World Run'
It came much sooner than anyone would have imagined when the vault first opened
- Nearly 10 years after a "doomsday" seed vault opened on an Arctic island, some 50,000 new samples from seed collections around the world have been deposited in the world's largest repository built to safeguard against wars or natural disasters wiping out global food crops, reports the AP...
'Doomsday Vault' Sees
Its First Withdrawal
Sep 23, 2015 7:29 AM CDT
'Doomsday Vault' Sees Its First Withdrawal
Spurred by the Syrian civil war
- The "Doomsday Vault" just got its first bit of doomsday press: coverage of its first-ever withdrawal of seeds. Since 2008, the vault has sat on a Norwegian island in the Svalbard archipelago, 800 miles from the North Pole where the soil is always frozen. It's a place so...
Gets First Tree Seeds
Mar 2, 2015 2:07 PM CST
'Doomsday Vault' Gets First Tree Seeds
Spruce and pine among new collection added to Svalbard Global Seed Vault
- The " Doomsday Vault " sits on an Arctic Island, quietly helping to protect our future. At first, it mostly collected and stored food crops, but it recently got its first shipment of tree seeds,
reports. Norway spruce and Scots pine are, of course, not much of a meal,...
Feb 27, 2014 7:43 AM CST
'Doomsday Vault' Gets Sizable Birthday Present
Sleep easy tonight: Key miso ingredient is now safe
- Earth is now slightly better prepared for an agricultural apocalypse: The "Doomsday Vault" is 20,000-species stronger as of this week— its sixth birthday . A new wave of seed varieties were deposited that hail from more than 100 countries and represent a "sort of winter Olympics of crop...
'Doomsday' Seed Vault to Open
Feb 25, 2008 3:57 PM CST
'Doomsday' Seed Vault to Open
Norwegian project will house all known crop species
- The North Pole is no Fertile Crescent, but it will house collections of the world's crop seeds in a doomsday vault that will open tomorrow, AFP reports. The vault, built on Norwegian territory, contains three cold chambers that can hold a total of 4.5 million seed samples—twice the...
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.