Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Blinken Says US Will
Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
May 26, 2021 12:44 AM CDT
Blinken Says US Will Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
Secretary of State makes first official visit to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday announced plans to reopen a key diplomatic outreach office to the Palestinians and pledged nearly $40 million in new aid—reversing key policies of the Trump administration as he moved to bolster the embattled Palestinian government in the West Bank. On his first...
Hamas Fires Rockets
After Mosque Clashes
May 10, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Hamas Fires Rockets After Mosque Clashes
'This is a message the enemy has to understand well,' spokesman says
- Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip fired rockets toward Jerusalem on Monday, setting off air raid sirens throughout the city, after hundreds of Palestinians were hurt in clashes with Israeli police at a flashpoint religious site in the contested holy city. The early-evening attack drastically escalated what already are heightened...
Jerusalem at 'Brink of
Eruption' After Latest
Clash Hurts Hundreds
May 10, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Jerusalem at 'Brink of Eruption' After Latest Clash Hurts Hundreds
Medics say at least 153 were hospitalized after Israeli police confronted Palestinian protesters
- Israeli police firing tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber-coated bullets clashed with Palestinian stone-throwers at a flashpoint Jerusalem holy site on Monday, the latest in a series of confrontations pushing the contested city to the brink of eruption. More than a dozen tear gas canisters and stun grenades landed in...
At Jerusalem Holy Site,
a Night of Violent Clashes
May 8, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
At Jerusalem Holy Site, a Night of Violent Clashes
Medics say 200-plus Palestinians were hurt during confrontation with Israeli cops at Al-Aqsa Mosque
- A night of heavy clashes between Palestinians and Israeli police at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and elsewhere in Jerusalem left more than 200 Palestinians wounded, medics said Saturday, as the city braced for even more violence after weeks of unrest. Nightly protests broke out at the start of the holy...
This Case Is
May 24, 2020 2:45 PM CDT
Netanyahu: This Case Is 'Fabricated'
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu goes on trial
- Israel's prime minister arrived in a Jerusalem court Sunday and denounced the corruption case against him—along with officials, journalists, and police he claims fabricated the evidence, the
Times of Israel
reports. "Elements in the police and State Attorney’s Office banded together with left-wing journalists ... to fabricate...
Notes Pulled From
With a Twist
Apr 1, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Notes Pulled From Western Wall, With a Twist
Hazmat suits were required this time around due to coronavirus
- He stood at one of the world’s holiest sites and prayed for those who've contracted COVID-19. Then Shmuel Rabinowitz, rabbi of Jerusalem's Western Wall, watched as thousands of written prayers crammed into the crevices of stone were removed. This happens twice a year before Passover and Rosh...
Mar 4, 2019 2:57 AM CST
US Closes Jerusalem Consulate, Angers Palestinians
It served as de facto embassy to Palestinians
- The United States has officially shuttered its consulate in Jerusalem, downgrading the status of its main diplomatic mission to the Palestinians by folding it into the US Embassy to Israel. For decades, the consulate functioned as a de facto embassy to the Palestinians. Now, that outreach will be handled by...
More Than 50 Dead
as US Opens Embassy
May 14, 2018 2:35 PM CDT
More Than 50 Dead as US Opens Embassy
Violence continues in Israel
- The US formally opened its embassy in Jerusalem on Monday, and the historic move triggered a new wave of violence. At least 52 Palestinians were killed by Israeli troops as they demonstrated near the border fence between Israel and the Gaza Strip, reports the AP . The
Romney: 'Bigot' Shouldn't Pray
at Jerusalem Embassy Opening
May 14, 2018 5:24 AM CDT
Romney: 'Bigot' Shouldn't Pray at Jerusalem Embassy Opening
City soccer team names itself after Trump
- One of Israel's biggest sports teams has given itself a new name in honor of the opening of the new US Embassy in Jerusalem —and the man who made it possible. Soccer club Beitar Jerusalem says it is now called Beitar Trump Jerusalem and the change will be...
Israel Preps Big
Festivity, But Many
Diplomats Won't Go
May 13, 2018 9:02 AM CDT
Israel Preps Big Festivity, But Many Diplomats Won't Go
Amid increasing Palestinian protests
- Israel is preparing festivities Sunday to celebrate Monday's opening of the new US Embassy in Jerusalem , a move that has ignited Palestinian protests and raised fears of further violence. As Israel marks Jerusalem Day, the 51st anniversary of what it refers to as the city's "unification" following...
Report: Surprise Date Set for
Embassy Move to Jerusalem
Feb 23, 2018 11:22 AM CST
Report: Surprise Date Set for Embassy Move to Jerusalem
Supposedly May 14, the 70th anniversary of Israel's independence
- May 14th is the 70
anniversary of Israel's independence, and it appears it will serve as another big day: the moving of the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Per the
, Minister of Transportation and Intelligence Israel Katz made the surprise announcement on Twitter Friday, tweeting...
This Could Prove Biblical
Prophet's Existence. Or Not
Feb 22, 2018 10:00 AM CST
This Could Prove Biblical Prophet's Existence. Or Not
Clay seal reading 'Isaiah' up for debate
- A clay seal found in an ancient garbage pit in Jerusalem might have belonged to the prophet Isaiah, who's described as predicting the virgin birth and Jesus' death in the Old Testament. Or, less exciting, it might have belonged to some random guy named Isaiah. At present, it's...
Jordan to VP Pence: 'Rebuild
Trust' After Jerusalem Pivot
Jan 21, 2018 1:30 PM CST
Jordan to VP Pence: 'Rebuild Trust' After Jerusalem Pivot
Jordan's King Abdullah hopes for renewed confidence in a two-state solution
- Jordan's king appealed Sunday to Vice President Mike Pence to "rebuild trust and confidence" in the possibility of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, following fallout from the Trump administration's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. Pence tried to reassure King Abdullah that the...
Embassy Move to Jerusalem
Coming Sooner Than Expected
Jan 19, 2018 7:07 AM CST
Embassy Move to Jerusalem Coming Sooner Than Expected
As early as 2019, say US officials
- Rather than wait three-plus years to build a new US embassy in Jerusalem, US officials are speeding up the move from Tel Aviv. A new, more affordable plan will see an existing consular building in the Arnona neighborhood of West Jerusalem converted into a new embassy, officials tell the
Abbas to Trump: 'May
Your House Be Demolished'
Jan 15, 2018 4:11 AM CST
Abbas to Trump: 'May Your House Be Demolished'
He slams Trump's 'slap of the century'
- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas laid into President Trump, among others, in a two-hour speech Monday, saying he rejects Trump's attempt for a Middle East peace "deal of the century"—and he hopes the president's house is demolished. Abbas, addressing the Palestinian Central Council, said he had...
Trump on Palestinian Authority:
US Gets 'No Respect'
Jan 3, 2018 2:00 AM CST
Trump on Palestinian Authority: US Gets 'No Respect'
President threatens to cut off aid
- Acknowledging his push to broker peace in the Middle East has stalled, President Trump appeared to threaten to cut off US aid money to the Palestinian Authority Tuesday, asking why the US should make "any of these massive future payments" when the Palestinians are "no longer willing to...
Another Jerusalem Move
Is Blasted by Palestinians
Jan 2, 2018 8:48 AM CST
Another Jerusalem Move Is Blasted by Palestinians
Law makes it tougher to cede any part of the city
- Israeli-Palestinian tensions have been high since President Trump's Dec. 6 decision on Jerusalem , and the new year isn't bringing calming overtures. Israel's parliament on Tuesday voted to stipulate that a supermajority—80 of the Knesset's 120 votes—would have to vote in favor of any proposal...
Israeli Minister Demands NBA
Remove Term From Website
Dec 29, 2017 2:16 PM CST
Israeli Minister Demands NBA Remove Term From Website
Miri Regev didn't like seeing 'Palestine—occupied territory' on basketball site
- The Israeli-Palestinian conflict isn't usually the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks about the NBA, but the basketball association has found itself suddenly mired in the political due to one particular term on its website. The
Times of Israel
reports that a pop-up list for an...
Plans to Thank
Trump by Using
Dec 27, 2017 8:44 AM CST
Jerusalem Plans to Thank Trump by Using His Name
Next stop on high-speed rail line could be 'Donald John Trump'
- Some 128 countries may be no fan of President Trump's decision on Jerusalem, but Israel obviously is, and it plans to demonstrate its appreciation in a bricks-and-mortar kind of way. The AFP reports that Transportation Minister Israel Katz on Tuesday gave the green light to a $700 million plan...
Another Country Follows
Trump's Lead on Israel
Dec 25, 2017 10:33 AM CST
Another Country Follows Trump's Lead on Israel
Guatemala says it also will move its embassy to Jerusalem
- Guatemala's president says the Central American country will move its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, becoming the first nation to follow the lead of President Trump in ordering the change, per the AP . Guatemala was one of nine nations that voted with the United States and Israel on Thursday...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
2nd Woman Dumped at LA Hospital Dies
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
He Stuck Out His Arm to Get Vaxxed. It Was 'Cold and Gummy'
You Know About Foster Care, Maybe Not Its 'Shadow' System
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.