Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Jail Cell,
Allison Mack Is Now Free
Jul 5, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
to Jail Cell, Allison Mack Is Now Free
Actor involved in NXIVM sex cult is released from prison after 2 years of 3-year sentence
- NXIVM leader Keith Raniere isn't getting out of prison anytime soon, but one of the highest-ranking members in his sex cult is now free. Per Federal Bureau of Prisons records, former
actor Allison Mack was released Monday from a federal prison in Dublin, California, as first reported in...
in the '70s. Now
Dec 23, 2022 12:51 PM CST
'The Serpent' Killed Backpackers in the '70s. Now He's Free
Admitted serial killer Charles Sobhraj is released from a Nepal prison
- Confessed French serial killer Charles Sobhraj was freed from prison in Nepal on Friday after serving most of his sentence for killing American and Canadian backpackers and was taken to the airport for a flight back to Paris, his attorney said. His alleged killings were dramatized in a series co-produced...
Court in India Sets Free
Men Who Raped Woman
Aug 18, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Court in India Sets Free Men Who Raped Woman
'How can justice for a woman end like this?' asks victim
- A Muslim woman who was gang raped while pregnant during India's devastating 2002 religious riots has appealed to the government to rescind its decision to free the 11 men who had been jailed for life for committing the crime. The victim, who is now in her 40s, was brutally...
Killer Walks Free
Nov 23, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Meredith Kercher's Killer Walks Free
Rudy Guede, who maintains his innocence, served just 13 years
- The only person with a lasting conviction in the 2007 murder of British student Meredith Kercher is free. If you don't know the name Rudy Guede, blame the fiasco that was the murder conviction of Amanda Knox. Whereas Knox and former Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were convicted in Kercher'...
US Woman in Bali
Oct 29, 2021 12:34 AM CDT
US Woman in Bali 'Suitcase Murder' Walks Free
Heather Mack of Chicago was arrested for helping her boyfriend kill her mother
The Chicago woman who, along with her then-boyfriend, murdered her mother on Bali in 2014 and stuffed her body in a suitcase walked free Friday after serving seven years of a 10-year sentence, the AP reports. Heather Mack, now 26, was escorted through a crush of reporters outside the...
After 22 Years in Jail,
Dance Goes Viral
Oct 27, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
After 22 Years in Jail, Dad-Daughter TikTok Dance Goes Viral
Justine Tuckett reunites with dad Bill Lorance
- Justine Tuckett was 5 years old when her father was sent to prison for murdering his stepfather in 1999. Over the next 22 years, Bill Lorance would miss her many dance recitals and her wedding. "When I was younger every time I blew out my birthday candles, I would...
76-Year-Old Returned to Prison
After Missing Calls Goes Home
Jul 7, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
76-Year-Old Returned to Prison After Missing Calls Goes Home
Gwen Levi was at a word-processing class with her ringer off at the time
- A 76-year-old grandmother sent back to prison after attending a computer class is back to living life with a small amount of freedom. US District Judge Deborah C. Chasanow granted Gwen Levi a request for compassionate release Tuesday, saying "it would do little" to force the Baltimore resident to...
Saudi Activist's Release
Seen as a Nod to Biden
Feb 11, 2021 12:58 PM CST
Saudi Activist's Release Seen as a Nod to Biden
Prince Mohammed bin Salman may be trying to play nice by freeing Loujain al-Hathloul
- US and Canadian authorities are celebrating the release of a Saudi women's rights activist after 1,001 days in prison, though allies say she is not yet "free." Loujain al-Hathloul, a 31-year-old activist who attended university in Canada, was arrested in 2014 as she defied a ban...
Lori Loughlin Is
Released From Prison
Dec 28, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Lori Loughlin Is Released From Prison
She served nearly 2 months in college bribery scandal
- Lori Loughlin is a free woman again. The
actress was released from a federal prison in California on Monday after serving nearly two months in the college admissions bribery scandal , reports
. Her husband, fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, is scheduled to be released in April after his own...
His Release Date
Was 2419. It Just
Got Pushed to Now
Nov 17, 2020 9:49 AM CST
His Release Date Was 2419. It Just Got Pushed to Now
'Stunning reprieve' from judge for money launderer Juan Carlos Seresi, serving a 505-year sentence
- A money launderer who was sentenced nearly 30 years ago to five centuries behind bars just got what CNN calls a "stunning reprieve." A Los Angeles federal judge decided he should be let out of prison ASAP. US District Court Judge Stephen V. Wilson ruled Thursday that 73-year-old...
Paul Manafort Is Out
May 13, 2020 8:18 AM CDT
Paul Manafort Is Out
Former Trump campaign chairman granted house arrest due to coronavirus
- Paul Manafort is out of prison. President Trump's former campaign chairman, sentenced to 7.5 years for tax fraud and conspiracy in March 2019, was released from Loretto federal prison in Pennsylvania early Wednesday owing to the novel coronavirus, according to ABC News and CBS News . Manafort, picked up...
Bad News on 2 Fronts
for Michael Cohen
May 2, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Bad News on 2 Fronts for Michael Cohen
Trump's ex-lawyer wasn't released from prison, though it's murky; plus, pushback on his tell-all
- Friday was supposed to be the day when Michael Cohen, the former personal attorney to President Trump, was to be released early from prison, allowed to spend the rest of his sentence in home confinement instead of remaining behind bars until November 2021. Now, sources tell ABC News that Cohen...
Mobster Go Free
Apr 19, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Mobster Go Free
Vinny Asaro is allowed to go home
wiseguy Vinny Asaro got a break Friday when he was released from prison over concerns about the coronavirus, the
New York Post
reports. The thinking: He's 85 and suffered a stroke just last year. "If Asaro were to contract COVID-19, given his age and current state, it...
After 32 Years,
Apr 1, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
After 32 Years, Convict Walks Into Pandemic
But Joe Bryan is just 'thankful' to be free
- "Just don't be hugging everybody," a correctional officer advised Joe Bryan shortly before the 79-year-old walked out of Texas State Penitentiary for the first time in 32 years on Tuesday. It was well-meaning advice in the midst of a pandemic. But "that is like telling a...
Feb 13, 2020 9:16 AM CST
Convicted Murderer Freed After Cop's Letter Surfaces
Letter names suspect other than Calvin Bright, who is released on time served
- "I knew this day would eventually come," convicted murderer Calvin Bright said upon walking out of jail in Washington, DC, Wednesday after 25 years. "I never doubted it because I'm innocent." Bright, 47, was sentenced to 65 years to life on two counts of first-degree...
A Break for Prison Seamstress
Who Helped Killers Escape
Feb 6, 2020 7:50 AM CST
A Break for Prison Seamstress Who Helped Killers Escape
Joyce Mitchell to go free after 5 years in prison
- The former upstate New York prison worker who helped two convicted murderers escape in 2015 is about to go home. Joyce Mitchell, sentenced to up to seven years in prison for providing material support to Clinton Correctional Facility escapees Richard Matt and David Sweat, is expected to be released from...
Case Is Out
Jan 23, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Woman in Texting Suicide Case Is Out
Michelle Carter released early for good behavior
- The woman convicted in Massachusetts' "suicide by text" case was released from jail Thursday. Michelle Carter, now 23, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for, when she was 17, encouraging her 18-year-old boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, to go through with his planned suicide. She called and texted him as he...
State Sets 450 Inmates Free
Nov 4, 2019 6:45 PM CST
State Sets 450 Inmates Free
Emotional reunions with families and friends follow in Oklahoma
- "Let's make it so you guys do not come back here again." With that, Gov. Kevin Stitt and the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board freed at least 462 inmates on Monday, the nation's largest one-day commutation ever. The governor addressed about 70 of the nonviolent offenders...
Oct 29, 2019 8:02 AM CDT
Georgia Accidentally Sets Free Child Rapist
Now scrambling to find inmate after public wasn't notified for days
- Authorities in Georgia are on the hunt for a rapist who was serving a life sentence when he was mistakenly released from prison on Friday. Tony Maycon Munoz-Mendez, 31, jailed since 2015 on convictions of rape and aggravated child molestation in Gwinnett County, was released from Reidsville's Rogers State...
Oct 25, 2019 1:08 PM CDT
Felicity Huffman Catches Break Thanks to Release Rules
Credit for time served, plus DOJ guidelines on weekend releases spring actress 3 days early
- If anyone thought Felicity Huffman's two-week prison sentence was too short, it just got truncated even more.
reports that the 56-year-old was released Friday from the Federal Correctional Institution in Dublin, Calif., on the 11th day of her 14-day sentence. Huffman, who pleaded guilty to paying college admissions...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.