Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kyiv Bomb Shelter
Gets a Surprise
May 9, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Kyiv Bomb Shelter Gets a Surprise Concert
Bono, the Edge put on 40-minute show with Ukrainian band Antytila
- On Sunday morning, two stars from U2 made an unexpected announcement. "President @ZelenskyyUa invited us to perform in Kyiv as a show of solidarity with the Ukrainian people and so that's what we've come to do," tweeted Bono and the Edge, but they didn't play...
DJs Get Interview
of a Lifetime:
May 14, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
DJs Get Interview of a Lifetime: a Locked-Down Matt Damon
'I feel like I'm about to throw up,' Dublin's Nathan O'Reilly told Damon, quarantined in small Irish town
- Talk about an at-work win. Per the BBC , Dublin DJs Nathan O'Reilly and Graham O'Toole nabbed none other than Matt Damon for a Zoom interview after finding out the 49-year-old star was quarantining with his family in the coastal town of Dalkey. For six weeks, O'Reilly had...
These 60 Songs
Saved Bono's Life
May 11, 2020 5:00 AM CDT
These 60 Songs Saved Bono's Life
U2 frontman shares list to mark his 60th birthday
- Bono turned 60 on Sunday, and to mark the occasion, the U2 frontman released a playlist of the "60 Songs That Saved My Life," CNN reports. "These are some of the songs that saved my life," he writes in a statement . "The ones I couldn'...
'It's the End of
the World as
We Know It'
Mar 18, 2020 1:58 PM CDT
Michael Stipe: 'It's the End of the World as We Know It'
REM frontman releases coronavirus PSA, Bono releases song
- Michael Stipe is the latest celebrity to jump on the " coronavirus PSA " bandwagon, and his video includes possibly the most fitting song for our current moment in time: "It's the End of the World as We Know It." The REM frontman then launches into a...
Earliest Known Recording
of Live U2 Show Surfaces
Jul 2, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Earliest Known Recording of Live U2 Show Surfaces
Bono and the boys were just teenagers in 1979
- In 1979, the members of U2 were still in their teens when they performed at the Dandelion Market in Dublin. The guitarist of the band that opened for them was so impressed with their talent that he recorded their show on cassette tapes, explains
. Lo and behold, those...
'Don't Know What Happened:'
Bono Loses Voice During Show
Sep 2, 2018 6:29 AM CDT
'Don't Know What Happened:' Bono Loses Voice During Show
U2 has to cancel Berlin concert after frontman loses voice 20 minutes in
- For the second time since 1989, U2 has had to cancel a concert partway through after Bono's voice failed, reports E! Online . The 58-year-old made it about 20 minutes into the show in Berlin before halting to address the audience, telling the crowd that "I can promise you...
U2 Dedicates Song
to Anthony Bourdain
Jun 12, 2018 2:30 AM CDT
U2 Dedicates Song to Anthony Bourdain
Band honors late chef at NYC performance
- U2 honored the late Anthony Bourdain during their Monday night concert at the Apollo Theater in New York City. Lead singer Bono spoke of losing a "lot of inspiring, useful people" over the past few years "who gave up on their own life," alluding to the apparent...
Bono Says He
Dec 28, 2017 5:00 PM CST
Bono Says He Almost Died While Making U2 Album
He's also disappointed in the state of today's 'girly' rock 'n' roll music
- What you may know: U2's new album,
Songs of Experience
, came out in early December. What you may not know: Bono apparently almost died while making it. That's per a new interview with
co-founder Jann Wenner in which the U2 frontman doesn't reveal exactly what...
U2 Will Break 'Sacred Pledge,'
and You Could Take Part
Nov 28, 2017 9:50 AM CST
U2 Will Break 'Sacred Pledge,' and You Could Take Part
Up for a game of mini-golf?
- When the members of U2 were just young Irish lads, they made "a sacred pledge" to each other that has remained steadfast throughout their decades-long run as rock stars: Never play golf. "We didn't think it was rock 'n' roll," frontman Bono tells the AP...
List of Inspiring
Nov 2, 2016 10:17 AM CDT
's List of Inspiring Women: Bono
He's 'grateful,' but plenty of women are peeved
's 2016 Women of the Year list honoring inspiring females includes Gwen Stefani, Simone Biles, model Ashley Graham, the woman sexually assaulted by Brock Turner, the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement, and … Bono. For the first time in 27 years, the magazine has named a Man...
to Fight ISIS
Apr 13, 2016 10:47 AM CDT
Bono: Deploy the Comedians to Fight ISIS
U2 frontman mentioned Amy Schumer, Chris Rock specifically
- Bono has an idea for fighting ISIS: Deploy the comedians. "The first people that ... Adolf Hitler threw out of Germany were the Dadaists and the Surrealists," the U2 frontman explained during an appearance before the US Senate on Tuesday on the subject of foreign aid to fight terrorism....
U2 Brings Surprise
Guest to Paris
Dec 7, 2015 7:04 PM CST
U2 Brings Surprise Guest to Paris Stage
Eagles of Death Metal start with a Patti Smith song
- Members of the California rock band Eagles of Death Metal have made a surprise return to a Paris stage during a concert by U2, less than a month after suicide bombers stormed the band's Nov. 13 gig at the Bataclan theater and killed 89 people. U2 on Monday night...
U2 Tour Manager
Found Dead in LA Hotel
May 28, 2015 12:03 AM CDT
U2 Tour Manager Found Dead in LA Hotel
Dennis Sheehan had been with the band 33 years
- U2 is in mourning for the tour manager who had been with the band since they were barely out of their teens. Dennis Sheehan, 68, was found dead at the Sunset Marquis Hotel early yesterday morning after emergency services were called to the West Hollywood hotel for a report of...
Bono: I May
Jan 2, 2015 9:11 AM CST
Bono: I May Never Play Guitar Again
He reflects on bike accident in blog post
- In a very long New Year's Day blog post , Bono revealed yesterday that he may have to put down his guitar for good after his traumatic bike accident in November. "Recovery has been more difficult than I thought," he writes under the section "I IS FOR...
Fill In for Injured Bono
Dec 2, 2014 1:26 AM CST
Springsteen, Martin Fill In for Injured Bono
They join rest of U2 for World Aids Day gig
- Bono has some top-notch understudies: Bruce Springsteen and Chris Martin of Coldplay acted as the U2 frontman, who is recovering from a bike accident , at a New York City concert last night honoring World AIDS Day. Springsteen performed "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "I Still Haven'...
2014's Least Influential People
Nov 25, 2014 10:30 AM CST
2014's Least Influential People
'GQ' takes down Obama, Goodell, the Mo. governor, and ... Zach Braff
- If you're wondering who "took up vast clouds of oxygen, gave us back nothing of use, and probably helped accelerate the death of our planet" most this year, Drew Magary has 30 of them ranked and ready for our review in
's "Least Influential People of...
Are Pretty Serious
Nov 19, 2014 9:43 AM CST
Bono's Bike Crash Injuries Are Pretty Serious
U2 frontman will need 'intensive' therapy
- U2 recently revealed that Bono took a bit of a "cycling spill" and had to have surgery on his arm, but the details are a bit more gory than that phrase might have led you to believe. The singer was riding his bike through Central Park in New York...
Why He's Always
Oct 17, 2014 12:21 PM CDT
Bono Explains Why He's Always Wearing Sunglasses
He has glaucoma, he reveals
- Curious why Bono is always in sunglasses, even indoors? Well, it's not because the U2 frontman thinks he's too cool to go without shades. It's because, he recently revealed on the BBC's
Graham Norton Show
, he has glaucoma. Asked by Norton whether he ever takes the...
How the Mighty Have Fallen: U2 Is a Punchline
Sep 18, 2014 12:34 PM CDT
How the Mighty Have Fallen: U2 Is a Punchline
Nico Lang: It joins the ranks of Nickelback as a band 'no one likes'
- There was a time when the giveaway of a new U2 album would have been a big deal in a good way, not in the PR-disaster way surrounding this month's Apple stunt . Most people, it seems, responded with a shrug or with annoyance that an album they didn't...
Here Are Your
Jan 12, 2014 9:59 PM CST
Here Are Your Golden Globes Winners
Big winners: American Hustle, 12 Years a Slave, Breaking Bad
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler opened the Golden Globes tonight , and then it was on to the awards:
Best supporting actress in a motion picture
: Jennifer Lawrence,
Best supporting actress in a TV series, miniseries, or movie
: Jacqueline Bisset,
Dancing on the Edge
Best TV miniseries or movie
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.