Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,731,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Trump Lawyers Target Obama, Biden
They argue that the Obama administration was the one that abused power
- Much of the second day of President Trump's impeachment defense focused not on the president's actions, but on the previous administration. In what Politico calls "an alternate-reality impeachment of his political rivals," Trump lawyers Pam Bondi and Eric Herschmann argued that former President Obama and Joe...
Kenneth Starr to Senate: 'Close This Chapter'
He says Trump charges should be dismissed because president did not commit a crime
- The second day of President Trump's defense in his impeachment trial included a big new wrinkle in the form of John Bolton . The former national security adviser's upcoming book reportedly alleges that Trump directly linked Ukraine aid to an investigation of the Bidens, a development that is raising...
Impeachment Day 3: Trump Puts 'Nixon to Shame'
'This conduct is Donald Trump first'
- Day 3 of President Trump's impeachment trial is underway, and Democratic impeachment managers plan to focus much of the day's arguments on the abuse-of-power allegation against the president, reports the Hill . "The Constitution is not a suicide pact," said one of those managers, Rep. Jerry Nadler....
Alan Dershowitz Grilled on New View of Impeachment
Trump attorney says he is 'far more correct now than I was then,' referring to 1998 view of Clinton
- Trump attorney Alan Dershowitz went on CNN Monday night and got into a memorable exchange with Anderson Cooper and Jeffrey Toobin over how his view of impeachment has changed since the days of Bill Clinton. Background and highlights:
“It certainly doesn’t have to be a crime,”
2 Big Names Join Trump's Impeachment Legal Team
Alan Dershowitz and Ken Starr are among the president's defense lawyers
- We've met the Democratic managers for President Trump's impeachment trial in the Senate. Now it's time to meet the commander in chief's defense team. A source tells the
Wall Street Journal
that, under the leadership of White House counsel Pat Cipollone, Trump's trial lawyers will...
Dershowitz's Harvard Lectures Bothered Female Students
'New Yorker' is out with a lengthy, unflattering profile of the law professor
is out with a deep dive into the professional and personal life of Alan Dershowitz, the 80-year-old emeritus professor of Harvard Law who maintains a near-constant presence on TV as a legal analyst. In fact, his public profile has only increased since the election of Donald Trump,...
Dershowitz: Trump Has a Much Bigger Problem Than Mueller
President should be worried about state prosecutors in New York, he says
- Michael Cohen's guilty plea . Paul Manafort's conviction . The granting of immunity to longtime Trump allies. Last week provided one big headline after another in regard to the legal trouble swirling around President Trump, and Harvard legal scholar Alan Dershowitz sees a clear takeaway: Trump's biggest legal worry...
Dershowitz Is Now Helping Harvey Weinstein's Defense
Celebrity lawyer joins effort to obtain 'exculpatory' emails
- A former member of OJ Simpson's defense team is now assisting Harvey Weinstein. Alan Dershowitz—a Harvard Law School professor and frequent guest on cable news—is serving as a consultant to Weinstein's effort to obtain emails from The Weinstein Company that he sent and received before he...
Could Polanski Case Finally Come to an End?
That seems to be Alan Dershowitz's goal
- More than 35 years later, Alan Dershowitz is trying to bring the case against Roman Polanski, who fled the US before being sentenced on a statutory rape charge in 1978, to an end. The lawyer has filed new paperwork in a California court calling for a hearing that could close...
'Double Jeopardy' Could Block Knox Extradition
Experts say case could put US courts in uncharted territory
- Amanda Knox won't be going back to Italy for her new murder trial , but if she is found guilty in absentia and appeals fail, she could be facing a mammoth legal battle at home in the US. If Italy seeks her extradition, American courts will have to decide whether...
Pro-Gun Petition Founder Blows Up at Piers Morgan
'1776 will commence again,' Alex Jones warns host
- Things got pretty heated on
Piers Morgan Tonight
as the host came face-to-face with the man who started a petition to deport him for supporting gun control. Morgan barely got a word in as conspiracy theorist talk show host Alex Jones attacked him as a "hatchet man of the...
OJ Team Denies It Tampered With Evidence
Lawyers attack Darden's claims
- The surviving members of OJ Simpson's defense team are hopping mad about a prosecutor's claim that the infamous "bloody glove" found at the murder scene of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman was tampered with by their late colleague Johnnie Cochran. Prosecutor Christopher Darden "lost, and he...
Ex-Prosecutor: OJ Defense Tampered With Glove
Simpson's former attorney calls charge 'total fabrication'
- It's been 18 years since that infamous white Ford Bronco chase, but arguments over the guilt or innocence of OJ Simpson still run hot. Now a former LA deputy district attorney is accusing the defense team in his murder trial of fiddling with the glove, just hours before Simpson...
Sorry, but Casey Anthony Verdict Was Totally Right
Dershowitz: Criminal trials are not about 'justice for the victim'
- Alan M. Dershowitz and Marcia Clark were on opposite sides of the OJ Simpson trial, and they're on opposite sides now : In a
Wall Street Journal
op-ed, Dershowitz firmly states that "the system worked" when Casey Anthony was found not guilty. That's because, much as we all...
Don't 'Blackmail' Israel Into Peace Talks Over Iran: Dershowitz
Deal with nukes, then engage with Palestine
- Clip Iran's nuclear claws first, then press for peace between Israel and Palestine—not the other way around, Alan Dershowitz argues in the
New York Post
. Reacting to a recent report, Dershowitz says Rahm Emanuel has it backward in putting Israeli-Palestinian talks before negotiations that could denuclearize Iran. "The...
Powder Mailed to
, Dershowitz Is Harmless
- White powder mailed to executives of the
Wall Street Journal
and to Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz is harmless, authorities say. Authorities have no suspects or motive, but the
notes that Dershowitz wrote an essay for the paper earlier this month defending Israel's assault on Gaza. The
She Shouldn't Stand by Him
Spitzer takes backlash for taking wife along; reactions run along gender lines
- Eliot Spitzer is going up in flames, but Americans are wondering why his wife has to go with him:
Los Angeles Times
talks to angry people on the street, including one divorcee who insists, “She should’ve said, ‘This is your fight. ... You stand there and get
Obama Finds Advice Can Carry a Price
Brzezinski raises hackles in pro-Israel circles
- Barack Obama may get foreign policy credit for traveling with Zbigniew Brzezinski, but having the Carter-era hand to hold won’t help with Israel boosters. The former national security adviser’s in the doghouse after defending the authors of an article that claimed the “Israel Lobby” has outsize influence...
Prosecutor Pushes for Quick Action on Libby
Fitzgerald urges judge to rule against release pending appeal
- The prosecutor in the Scooter Libby case wants the judge to send the vice president's ex-chief of staff to prison sooner rather than later. Arguing that the chance of an appeals court overturning the conviction is "at best, remote," Patrick Fitzgerald filed documents today calling for Libby's 30-month...
Holocaust Critic Loses Tenure Bid
University cuts controversial Finkelstein loose
- Polarizing poli-sci scholar Norman Finkelstein has been refused tenure at DePaul University in Chicago. The school's president said that Finkelstein, a virulent critic of Israel who's been accused of anti-Semitism for his remarks on the Holocaust, stirred too much controversy and ill will for the nation's largest Catholic University.
Popular on Newser
Twitter Hides Trump Tweet on Minneapolis
Mayor Refuses to Resign Over George Floyd Remarks
7 Shot at Kentucky Protest Over Police Shooting
Men Hired for Sexual Fantasy Broke Into Wrong House
Trump's Order Could Upend 26 Key Words
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.