Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
7 Dead After Philippine
Ferry Goes Up in Flames
May 23, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
7 Dead After Philippine Ferry Goes Up in Flames
120 people were rescued in Monday disaster
- A ferry carrying more than 130 people caught fire Monday while approaching a northeastern Philippine province, killing at least seven people while most passengers and crewmembers were rescued, the coast guard said. At least seven people remained missing and 23 others were injured and brought to a hospital, including the...
They Thought It Was a Drill.
Then, 'People Were Running'
Feb 19, 2022 11:00 AM CST
They Thought It Was a Drill. Then, 'People Were Running'
Rescue is on for 12 missing after ferry catches fire off coast of Greece
- Rescue teams in Greece searched a burning ferry Saturday for 12 people believed to be missing after it caught fire in the Ionian Sea while en route to Italy, while passengers described a frightening evacuation from the ship. After working all night to try to extinguish the blaze that broke...
Stars Plunk Down
$280K for Staten Island Ferry
Jan 21, 2022 1:05 PM CST
Stars Plunk Down $280K for Staten Island Ferry
Pete Davidson, Colin Jost, and real estate agent partner will turn vessel into live entertainment venue
- Pete Davidson is making headlines again, but this time it doesn't involve Kim Kardashian . Instead, it's about a big purchase the
Saturday Night Live
comic has made, along with fellow
er Colin Jost and real estate agent/comedy club co-founder Paul Italia: a decommissioned 277-foot-long Staten Island ferry, for...
Cops Boot Couple Who Wouldn't
Wear Masks Off NYC Ferry
Sep 7, 2020 5:00 AM CDT
Cops Boot Couple Who Wouldn't Wear Masks Off NYC Ferry
Brooklyn husband and wife say they may sue
- A Brooklyn couple refused to wear masks on a New York City ferry Saturday night and ended up kicked off the boat and cited for disorderly conduct. Gothamist has a number of videos of the incident, in which the husband and wife, on their way home after an evening in...
South Korea's Biggest
Manhunt Ever Is Over
Jul 24, 2020 8:58 AM CDT
South Korea's Biggest Manhunt Ever Is Over
Yoo Hyuk-kee, wanted after 2014 sinking of Sewol ferry, was nabbed at home in New York
- He may not have been steering the ferry that sank six years ago in South Korean waters, but Yoo Hyuk-kee was nevertheless a wanted man. Now Yoo—also known as Keith Yoo—is in police custody in New York, accused with other family members of embezzling millions from the company...
3 Ferries Capsize,
With Multiple Casualties
Aug 3, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
3 Ferries Capsize, With Multiple Casualties
Boats overturn in bad weather in the Philippines; dozens rescued
- Multiple people died and dozens others were rescued when three ferry boats separately capsized in bad weather Saturday between two central Philippine island provinces, the coast guard said. Coast guard spokesman Armand Balilo said it's not immediately clear if there were passengers or crewmen missing after the inter-island ferries...
9/11 Is Dead at 45
Mar 19, 2018 3:40 AM CDT
Man Who Evacuated Hundreds After 9/11 Is Dead at 45
Thomas Phelan was a ferry captain turned firefighter
- Thomas Phelan's life followed a different trajectory to that of many other 9/11 heroes: He was a hero who became a firefighter. On the day of the attacks, Phelan, who has died of cancer at age 45, was working as a ferry captain for Circle Line-Statue of Liberty ferry...
Homemade Explosive Caused
Ferry Blast, Mexico Says
Mar 11, 2018 4:06 PM CDT
Homemade Explosive Caused Ferry Blast, Mexico Says
The investigation has reportedly ruled out terrorism
- Mexican authorities say a rudimentary or homemade explosive device was responsible for a tourist ferry blast that injured 26 people Feb. 21 in the Caribbean resort city of Playa del Carmen. But Deputy Attorney General Arturo Elias Beltran said Sunday at a news conference that terrorism and organized crime have...
After Ferry Sank,
Survivors Floated for
Week Without Water
Jan 29, 2018 9:24 AM CST
After Ferry Sank, Survivors Floated for Week Without Water
Search operation continues 500 miles west of Kiribati
- A search and rescue operation is heating up in the Pacific Ocean near Kiribati, where passengers from a missing ferry were discovered Sunday. The 56-foot MV Butiraoi ferry was carrying at least 50 people, and perhaps 100, when it departed on a two-day, 150-mile trip from Nonouti to the island...
She Leapt From Ferry Believing
She Was Dying. She Wasn't.
Dec 8, 2017 7:56 AM CST
She Leapt From Ferry Believing She Was Dying. She Wasn't.
Incredibly, Canada's Mya DeRyan survived, then learned terminal diagnosis was wrong
- Diagnosed with a terminal illness at 52, Mya DeRyan saw no use in medicine. After spending several months with her adult son, the British Columbia woman departed his Vancouver home, leaving a note reading, "My body hurts, my heart is full. It's time. I love you." DeRyan...
Captain Who Jumped Ship
Arrested After Ferry Disaster
Jan 2, 2017 12:30 AM CST
Captain Who Jumped Ship Arrested After Ferry Disaster
23 dead, 17 missing after Indonesia fire
- Four crew members who survived the New Year's Day ferry disaster in Indonesia have been arrested, including the captain, who was allegedly the first to jump ship when the Zahro Express caught fire off the coast of Jakarta. "A captain who abandons ship first is no captain at...
23 Dead So Far
After Fiery Ferry
Horror Off Indonesia
Jan 1, 2017 9:00 AM CST
23 Dead So Far After Fiery Ferry Horror Off Indonesia
At least 17 are still missing, nearly 2 dozen injured after New Year's Day disaster
- At least 23 people were killed and 17 others were missing after a ferry caught fire Sunday off the coast of Indonesia's capital, officials said. The vessel was carrying more than 230 people from Jakarta's port of Muara Angke to Tidung, a resort island in the Kepulauan Seribu...
Florida Ferries Going
to Cuba Again
May 5, 2015 3:43 PM CDT
Florida Ferries Going to Cuba Again
Also, JetBlue adds a weekly flight from New York City
- The US embargo on Cuba is still in place, but two developments today further suggest that its days are numbered:
Two companies have gotten approval from the US to begin running ferries from Florida to Cuba for the first time in 50 years, reports the
Captain in Ferry Disaster
Sentenced to Life in Prison
Apr 28, 2015 5:49 AM CDT
Captain in Ferry Disaster Sentenced to Life in Prison
Lee Joon-seok previously only got 36 years
- The South Korean ferry captain responsible for last year's disaster that killed more than 300 people, mostly schoolchildren, was given an increased sentence of life in prison today by an appellate court that convicted him of homicide. A district court in November had sentenced Lee Joon-seok to 36 years...
Italy: Nearly 100
in Ferry Disaster
Dec 31, 2014 2:21 PM CST
Italy: Nearly 100 Unaccounted for in Ferry Disaster
But records of passengers remain a confusing mess
- There are still 98 people unaccounted for in the Greek ferry disaster, according to an Italian prosecutor, but that number is really murky: As the AP reports, discrepancies in the ship's records and a chaotic rescue effort mean officials don't know whether these people ever boarded the Norman...
2 Sailors Killed
in Recovery of
Dec 30, 2014 7:45 AM CST
2 Sailors Killed in Recovery of Stricken Ferry
As distress call comes in from another ship in the region
- Two Albanian sailors are the latest casualties in the Greek ferry disaster , killed today when they were hit by a line during attempts to secure the still-smoldering Norman Atlantic. One man died instantly, reports the AP ; the other died as medics worked on him. Dutch firm Smit Salvage is overseeing...
Rescued Ferry Rider:
'We Experienced the Titanic'
Dec 29, 2014 9:13 AM CST
Rescued Ferry Rider: 'We Experienced the Titanic'
Passengers describe chaos, trampling; 7 now confirmed dead
- Simultaneously battling driving rain, gale-force winds , freezing temperatures, flames, and smoke, Italian and Greek rescuers have painstakingly plucked all of more than 400 passengers and crew from a blazing ferry in the Adriatic Sea, reports CNN . In the course of the daylong rescue, they came upon four more bodies from...
1 Dead, Hundreds
Still Stuck in
Dec 28, 2014 12:16 PM CST
1 Dead, Hundreds Still Stuck in Greek Ferry Disaster
Officials fighting gale-force winds, rough waters
- A fire erupted on a ferry carrying 478 people from Greece to Italy today, leaving one person dead and trapping hundreds on top decks as gale-force winds and choppy seas hampered evacuation. The Italian Navy said that the victim and an injured person were transported by helicopter to the southern...
In Gale-Force Wind,
Dec 28, 2014 5:27 AM CST
In Gale-Force Wind, Greece Evacuating Burning Ferry
Norman Atlantic in gale-force winds with nearly 500 aboard
- A ferry carrying nearly 500 people caught fire off the Greek island of Corfu early today, trapping passengers on the top decks as gale-force winds and choppy seas hampered the evacuation. Greek and Italian Navy ships were heading to the area in a rescue effort. The fire broke out on...
S. Korean Ferry
Nov 11, 2014 5:49 AM CST
S. Korean Ferry Captain Gets 36 Years
Lee Joon-seok acquitted of homicide
- A South Korean ferry captain was sentenced today to 36 years in prison for negligence and abandoning passengers when his ship sank earlier this year, but the court acquitted him of homicide, concluding there was no proof he knew his actions would cause the more than 300 deaths that shocked...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump: FBI Has Raided 'My Beautiful Home'
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Anne Heche in Worse Condition Than Last Reported
Woman Lost House, All Possessions After Heche Crash
After Trump Raid, Republicans Call to Investigate, Defund FBI
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.