Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Final Minutes of Term,
Releases Uighur Report
Sep 1, 2022 8:59 AM CDT
In Final Minutes of Term, UN Commissioner Releases Uighur Report
In it, UN accuses China of serious human rights violations
- The UN accused China of serious human rights violations that may amount to "crimes against humanity" in a long-delayed report examining a crackdown on Uighurs and other mostly Muslim ethnic groups. Beijing on Thursday denounced the assessment, which was released late Wednesday, as a fabrication cooked up by Western...
Olympic Presser Gets Heated
Over Taiwan, Uighurs
Feb 17, 2022 8:22 AM CST
Olympic Presser Gets Heated Over Taiwan, Uighurs
Reports of human rights abuses are 'lies,' organizing committee rep claims
- What sports? The Beijing Olympics organizing committee's last scheduled daily news conference of the Games got downright political, as journalists asked about Taiwan, the forced labor of Uighurs, and the safety of Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai. Yan Jiarong, an organizing committee spokesperson, first made clear that China considers...
Billionaire's Uighur Remarks
Do Not Go Over Well
Jan 18, 2022 1:27 PM CST
Billionaire's Uighur Remarks Do Not Go Over Well
Chamath Palihapitiya walks back 'don't care' comments made on his podcast
- While discussing concerns over China's treatment of Uighurs, billionaire investor Chamath Palihapitiya didn't even feign interest. "The rest of us don't care," he said on Saturday's episode of his podcast, per CNBC . Palihapitiya said he had more important things to worry about than reports...
Tesla's New Showroom Is
Subject of Much Consternation
Jan 4, 2022 8:08 AM CST
Tesla's New Showroom Is Subject of Much Consternation
American activists want the Xinjiang location closed immediately
- American activists are appealing to Tesla to close a new showroom in China’s northwestern region of Xinjiang, where officials are accused of abuses against mostly Muslim ethnic minorities. China is one of Tesla's biggest markets, and the company on Friday announced the opening of its showroom in Urumqi,...
China's Press Tactics Are
'Unprecedented' and 'Terrifying'
Dec 8, 2021 3:07 PM CST
China's Press Tactics Are 'Unprecedented' and 'Terrifying'
Reporters Without Borders report details journalist arrests, surveillance
- China is committing an "unprecedented campaign of repression" against journalists, according to a new report by Reporters Without Borders. The report finds at least 127 journalists are detained in the country—including 71 Uighurs—making China "the world's biggest captor of journalists." The journalism advocacy group...
We're Just 100 Days Away
From Another Olympics
Oct 27, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
We're Just 100 Days Away From Another Olympics
'Muted' celebrations mark 100 days to Winter Olympics in Beijing amid travel restrictions
- In 100 days, Beijing will become the first city to host both the Summer and Winter Olympics, which CNN reports is "a major point of pride for China." But the marathon relay and musical performances that marked the 100-day countdown to Beijing's 2008 Summer Olympics were missing...
Woman Claims She Was Held
in Chinese 'Black Site' in Dubai
Aug 16, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
Woman Claims She Was Held in Chinese 'Black Site' in Dubai
China, Dubai dispute her allegations
- A young Chinese woman says she was held for eight days at a Chinese-run secret detention facility in Dubai along with at least two Uighurs, in what may be the first evidence that China is operating a so-called "black site" beyond its borders. The woman, 26-year-old Wu Huan, was...
US Move May Further
Fray Relations With China
Mar 22, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
US Move May Further Fray Relations With China
White House sanctions officials in Beijing over Uighurs
- The US, the European Union, Britain, and Canada launched coordinated sanctions against officials in China on Monday over what they call human rights abuses against Uighur Muslims in the Xinjiang region, per the AP . "Amid growing international condemnation, the [People's Republic of China] continues to commit genocide and...
Open Letter Asks
Feb 3, 2021 2:56 PM CST
Open Letter Asks Governments to Boycott 2022 Olympics
180 groups call for boycott over human rights abuses
- A coalition of 180 rights group on Wednesday called for a boycott of next year's Beijing Winter Olympics tied to reported human rights abuses against ethnic minorities in China, reports the AP . The games are to open in one year, on Feb. 4, 2022, and are set to go...
Jan 19, 2021 2:42 PM CST
Pompeo: Multiculturalism Is Anti-American
Outgoing secretary of state's tweet doesn't go over well with some diplomats
- Outgoing Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made headlines for two pronouncements on Tuesday, one about foreign policy and the other about American values:
Pompeo lashed out anew at China on Tuesday by declaring that its policies on Muslims and ethnic minorities in the western Xinjiang region constitute "crimes
Sep 8, 2020 8:14 AM CDT
Criticism Mounts of Disney's
Credits thank China for allowing it to be filmed in areas where human rights abuses are alleged
- Disney's new
, a live-action remake of the animated original, is now streaming on Disney Plus, but the film is once again courting controversy. Much of it sprang up over the weekend when critics on social media noted that the film's credits thank the Chinese government for allowing...
Rubio Responds to Getting
Sanctioned by China
Jul 13, 2020 6:47 AM CDT
Rubio Responds to Getting Sanctioned by China
'I guess they don't like me?" tweets senator
- Last week, the US sanctioned three Chinese officials over alleged human rights abuses against Muslims in the region of Xinjiang. On Monday, China retaliated with sanctions of its own against four US officials—Sens. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, Rep. Chris Smith, and Sam Brownback, who is the US ambassador...
Pompeo Accuses China
of Human Rights Abuses
Jul 9, 2020 12:19 PM CDT
Pompeo Accuses China of Human Rights Abuses
US sanctions 3 Chinese officials over treatment of Uighurs, other minorities
- The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on three senior officials of the Chinese Communist Party for alleged human rights abuses against ethnic and religious minorities, per the AP . The decision to bar these senior officials and their families from entering the US is the latest of a series of...
Weaves Suspected to Be
Made From Human Hair
in Prison Camps Seized
Jul 2, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
Weaves Suspected to Be Made From Human Hair in Prison Camps Seized
Federal authorities in New York announce seizure of shipment from China
- Federal authorities in New York on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection officials told the AP that 13 tons of hair products worth an...
In China, a 'Slow, Painful,
Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
In China, a 'Slow, Painful, Creeping Genocide'
AP report: Country is systematically forcing birth control on Uighurs to cut down Muslim population
- The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country's Han majority to have more children. While individual women have spoken out before about...
He Blasted China for Treatment
of Muslims. China Reacted
Dec 16, 2019 11:45 AM CST
He Blasted China for Treatment of Muslims. China Reacted
Country yanks soccer game of Arsenal team after star player Mesut Ozil offered his take on Uighurs
- On Friday, one of the English Premier League's star players criticized China for its incarceration of Uighur ethnic-minority Muslims , and on Sunday, that player saw his team's game get yanked from Chinese broadcasts. As the weekend approached, Arsenal's Mesut Ozil, a Muslim of Turkish heritage, tweeted against...
Teen Posts About 'Another
Holocaust,' Gets Banned
Nov 28, 2019 3:00 PM CST
Teen Posts About 'Another Holocaust,' Gets Banned
Feroza Aziz talked about more than beauty in TikTok video
- TikTok's decision to ban a US teenager and suddenly reverse course didn't pass unnoticed on Thanksgiving Day. "TikTok is trying to cover up this whole mess," Feroza Aziz, 17, tells the
Washington Post .
"I won't let them get away with this." It all...
Secret Documents Blow
Lid Off Hidden China Policy
Nov 24, 2019 1:00 PM CST
Secret Documents Blow Lid Off Hidden China Policy
Beijing is detaining ethnic minorities 'before they commit a crime'
- The watch towers, double-locked doors, and video surveillance in the Chinese camps are there "to prevent escapes." Uighurs and other minorities held inside are scored on how well they speak the dominant Mandarin language and follow strict rules on everything down to bathing and using the toilet, scores...
Susan Rice Calls Chinese
Diplomat a 'Racist Disgrace'
Jul 16, 2019 2:22 AM CDT
Susan Rice Calls Chinese Diplomat a 'Racist Disgrace'
He brought up US race relations in defense of Xinjiang policy
- Former national security adviser Susan Rice called a Chinese diplomat a "racist disgrace" after he brought up race relations in Washington, DC, while defending China's detention of an estimated 1 million Muslims in Xinjiang province. In a now-deleted tweet, Zhao Lijian said: "If you’re in Washington...
US May Make
Sep 11, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
US May Make Rare Move Against China
White House considers penalties over human rights issue, the treatment of Uighur Muslims
- President Trump has been quick to go after China on trade issues , but the
New York Times
reports his administration is poised to penalize Beijing on a human rights issue for perhaps the first time. The administration is considering sanctions in response to China's crackdown on minority Muslims, specifically...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.