Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Dolly Parton Says She Got a
'Dose of Her Own Medicine'
Mar 3, 2021 12:02 AM CST
Dolly Parton Says She Got a 'Dose of Her Own Medicine'
Singer gets the coronavirus vaccine, which she helped fund
- Saying she was getting a "dose of her own medicine," Dolly Parton on Tuesday got her first COVID-19 vaccination shot. The 75-year-old helped to fund the Moderna vaccine by donating $1 million to Vanderbilt researchers,
explains. In fact, she received the shot from the Vanderbilt physician...
Footnote in Vaccine News
Credits a Familiar Face
Nov 17, 2020 11:26 AM CST
Footnote in Vaccine News Credits a Familiar Face
Dolly Parton's $1M donation to Vanderbilt helped fund Moderna's vaccine
- Everyone was so excited by the
New England Journal of Medicine
's announcement that Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine was shown to be 94.5% effective that many missed the footnote giving partial credit to a country music superstar. Back in April, Dolly Parton donated $1 million to Vanderbilt University Medical...
After 'Professor' Dies of COVID,
Bizarre Hoax Theory Emerges
in case you missed it
Aug 8, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
After 'Professor' Dies of COVID, Bizarre Hoax Theory Emerges
It appears the professor never existed and the related Twitter feed was bogus
- It's a convoluted tale without a lot of answers at the moment. It revolves around an apparently fictitious professor at Arizona State University, the announcement of that professor's death on Twitter of COVID-19, and a prominent crusader against sexual harassment in the sciences. Digging in:
Gives Him a
Feb 20, 2020 9:35 AM CST
A Bolton Predecessor Gives Him a Hard Time
Ex-national security advisers face off
- Two former national security advisers faced off at a Vanderbilt University event Wednesday, with the Obama administration's Susan Rice taking former Trump staffer John Bolton to task for not testifying in the impeachment process against President Trump. NBC News reports that Bolton scoffed at the idea his testimony regarding...
Surgical 'Never Event'
Leads to $25M Lawsuit
Aug 8, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
Surgical 'Never Event' Leads to $25M Lawsuit
Woman had stent put in wrong kidney at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Two doctors at Vanderbilt University Medical Center have admitted to implanting a stent in the wrong kidney of a woman who sued in March for more than $25 million. Carla Miller of Jackson, Tenn., died two months later, though her children are continuing with the lawsuit and will argue kidney...
Vanderbilt to Pay $1.2M
to Zap 'Confederate' Name
Aug 16, 2016 6:52 AM CDT
Vanderbilt to Pay $1.2M to Zap 'Confederate' Name
University seeks to rename Memorial Hall
- In an attempt to bury a relic of its past, Vanderbilt University announced Monday that it will pay more than $1 million to remove the word "Confederate" from one of its dorms, the
reports. Chancellor Nicholas S. Zeppos called the inscription on Confederate Memorial Hall "a reminder...
First Mass Extinction
Likely Caused by
'Utterly Weird' Animals
Aug 1, 2016 1:01 PM CDT
First Mass Extinction Likely Caused by 'Utterly Weird' Animals
Animals shaped like 'Frisbees and lumpy mattresses' may have killed early Ediacarans
- New fossil evidence dug up in Namibia lends credence to the theory that we should blame "ecosystem engineers" for the world's first mass extinction, and that's not a euphemism for man, asteroids, or aliens. Instead, per a Vanderbilt University study published in the October issue of the...
Guilty of Rape—Again
Jun 20, 2016 1:41 AM CDT
Ex-Vanderbilt Student Guilty of Rape—Again
Unlike Brock Turner, Brandon Vandenburg faces minimum 15 years
- Years before the Brock Turner uproar, there was the shocking Vanderbilt rape case , which is still going through the courts. In the latest development, ex-Vanderbilt football player Brandon Vandenburg was found guilty Saturday of taking part in the rape of an unconscious woman in his dorm room in June 2013....
Mar 18, 2015 9:10 AM CDT
Vanderbilt's Jewish Frat Defaced With Swastikas
Police conducting hate crime investigation
- Police are conducting a hate crime investigation after students found three swastikas spray-painted in a Jewish frat house at Vanderbilt University on Saturday, the
reports. The student president of the Alpha Epsilon Pi frat says students were "horrified" to discover the Nazi symbols, painted in an elevator and...
on All Counts
in Rape Trial
Jan 27, 2015 6:50 PM CST
Ex-Vanderbilt Students Guilty on All Counts in Rape Trial
Cory Batey, Brandon Vandenburg face long prison sentences
- One stared ahead stoically and the other mouthed "No"—after a jury found two former Vanderbilt football players guilty on all counts in a rape trial that included shocking video and images of the assault, the AP reports. Cory Batey, 21, and Brandon Vandenburg, 21, each face decades-long...
Texted During Rape
Jan 15, 2015 1:40 PM CST
DA: Vanderbilt Players Giggled, Texted During Rape
Jurors shown video of accused carrying passed-out victim into dorm
- Jurors in the rape trial of two ex-Vanderbilt football players have watched surveillance video of a female student being carried into a dorm, put in an elevator, and dragged out after the doors opened. Four former players are accused in the alleged rape of the unconscious female in a dorm...
Vanderbilt Football Players Arrested on Rape Charges
Aug 12, 2013 8:24 AM CDT
Vanderbilt Football Players Arrested on Rape Charges
JaBorian McKenzie, Brandon Vandenburg, and Cory Batey indicted
- Four recently-dismissed members of the Vanderbilt University football team were arrested over the weekend in the alleged rape of an unconscious 21-year-old student in her dorm room. The rape allegedly occurred on June 23. University officials discovered the incident while checking dorm surveillance footage for an unrelated matter. Brandon Vandenburg,...
America's 10 Priciest Colleges
Oct 5, 2010 10:30 AM CDT
America's 10 Priciest Colleges
...that we definitely haven't saved enough for
- Oh, sweet journalistic irony:
releases its list of the country's most expensive colleges, and MarketWatch reports on a Sallie Mae survey released today that finds that, on average, families have saved $48,367 for school by the time their kid leaves for college. (Though, disturbingly, 24% of parents use...
Ranking America's Most
Apr 7, 2010 1:41 PM CDT
Ranking America's Most Stressful Schools
These colleges might just drive you to suicide
- This month, lots of high school overachievers will be anxiously awaiting acceptances from the halls of Ivy—even as concerns mount that these schools might not be great for your mental health. Cornell University, for example, had two suicides in as many days last month. So the Daily Beast decided...
First Tournament Upset
murray state stuns vandy
Mar 18, 2010 6:02 PM CDT
Buzzer-Beater Notches First Tournament Upset
And lucky President Obama picked 'em in his bracket
- The president called this one, all right. Danero Thomas hit a 15-footer at the buzzer as 13th-seeded Murray State stunned No. 4 seed Vanderbilt 66-65 in the first big upset of the NCAA tournament. It's the school's first tournament win since 1988. Maybe President Obama was onto something picking these...
the Value of a Life by $1M
Jul 11, 2008 4:13 AM CDT
EPA Cuts the Value of a Life by $1M
Statistical trim makes life-saving regulation harder to justify
- The Environmental Protection Agency has quietly reduced the hypothetical value of a human life by almost a million dollars to $6.9 million, reports the AP
The figure is used in cost benefit analyses to weigh the life-saving potential of environmental protection policies. Placing a lower value on human life...
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.