Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Police: Teenage Thief
Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Nov 17, 2021 6:16 PM CST
Police: Teenage Thief Got $36M in Cryptocurrency
Canadian scammer intercepted authentication request, investigators say
- A cross-border investigation has led to the arrest of a teenager in Canada suspected of a cryptocurrency theft of more than $36 million US from a single person. Officials called it the largest cryptocurrency scam involving one person in Canadian history, CTV News reports. Police did not release the age...
Trapped Miners All Freed
After 'Physically Taxing' Climb
Sep 29, 2021 7:29 AM CDT
Trapped Miners All Freed After 'Physically Taxing' Climb
They used a secondary ladder system to reach the surface
More than three dozen miners who were trapped underground in central Canada on Sunday have all been freed thanks to ladders. The BBC reports a secondary ladder system enabled them to leave the mine, but required that they climb as many as 4,000 feet to the surface. The...
Prof to Teach
Class on Drake,
Sep 27, 2021 8:13 AM CDT
Prof to Teach Class on Drake, the Weeknd: 'It's Time'
Canada's Ryerson University is offering deep-dive course on Toronto-born performers
- If you're an undergrad at the Creative School, part of Toronto's Ryerson University, there's a class on Aubrey Drake Graham and Abel Makkonen Tesfaye that may interest you. Don't recognize those names? You likely know them as Drake and the Weeknd, and if you want to...
Cop Who Shot
Fellow Cop: I Kept
Firing Till He
Dropped His Gun
Sep 16, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Cop Who Shot Fellow Cop: I Kept Firing Till He Dropped His Gun
Shane Donovan says Nathan Parker came at him with a baton: 'It was either me or him'
- A Canadian police officer who fired at least 10 shots at a fellow officer during a 2018 altercation says, "It was either me or him." Though Niagara Regional Police Det. Sgt. Shane Donovan was the one to open fire, it's Constable Nathan Parker who's on trial...
Not Guilty in Fatal Boat Crash
Sep 14, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Star's Wife Not Guilty in Fatal Boat Crash
Two people were killed in Ontario accident in 2019
: Linda O'Leary, wife of
star Kevin O'Leary, will not be going to prison in connection with a boat crash that killed two people on a lake north of Toronto two years ago. Ontario judge Richard Humphrey found O'Leary, who was at the helm in...
Away to Canada.
Saved 14 Dogs
Jun 24, 2021 1:07 PM CDT
Scooby Ran Away to Canada. His Escape Saved 14 Dogs
Officials returning wandering beagle find more than a dozen others living in unsanitary NY home
- A runaway beagle inadvertently led authorities to rescue 14 others in an international incident that started in Western New York. WGRZ reports on the adventures of Scooby Doo, who escaped from his home in Niagara Falls, NY, at some point—that outlet says it was last weekend, though a Sunday...
Cops: Pickup Driver Killed
4 Muslims in Targeted Attack
Jun 7, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
Cops: Pickup Driver Killed 4 Muslims in Targeted Attack
London, Ontario, mayor says Sunday night attack was 'rooted in unspeakable hatred'
- The mayor of London, Ontario, says a vehicle attack Sunday night was "rooted in unspeakable hatred." Police in the Canadian city say a man deliberately drove his pickup truck into a Muslim family of five as they waited to cross a road, killing four of them and seriously...
Official Who Spoke of
'Making Sacrifices' Was
Really on Luxury Island
Dec 31, 2020 12:05 AM CST
Official Who Spoke of 'Making Sacrifices' Was Really on Luxury Island
Canadian minister has been ordered to return home immediately
- Ontario Premier Doug Ford has promised to have a "tough conversation" with a minister who defied government guidance and went on a Caribbean vacation—while sending tweets implying he was still in Ontario. "As we all make sacrifices this Christmas, remember that some of our fellow citizens won'...
A 'Boom' Is Heard
From Canada to Virginia
Dec 2, 2020 5:13 PM CST
A 'Boom' Is Heard From Canada to Virginia
Witnesses report seeing a fireball
- A noontime boom that was heard and felt from southern Ontario to Virginia was likely caused by a disintegrating meteor, according to an organization in western New York that keeps track of such phenomena, the AP reports. Witnesses across the area reported hearing the boom or seeing a fireball in...
Toddler Killed When Father
Allegedly Clashes With Police
Nov 28, 2020 11:51 AM CST
Toddler Killed When Father Allegedly Clashes With Police
But what happened in Ontario, Canada isn't quite clear
- A possible kidnapping turned tragic in Canada when a one-year-old child died in an encounter with police, the
reports. Details remain sketchy, but officers fired on a pickup truck Thursday with the boy and his father inside. "It's too early for us to know why officers fired...
Cops: Restaurant Owner
Went to Extremes to
Nov 27, 2020 8:16 AM CST
Cops: Restaurant Owner Went to Extremes to Violate Lockdown
Owner of Adamson Barbecue in Toronto facing 13 charges
- With COVID-19 cases spiking, Canada's largest city entered a four-week lockdown on Monday. Among other restrictions, Toronto restaurants are prohibited from offering indoor dining—a rule police say Adam Skelly willfully violated. The owner of Adamson Barbecue in the suburb of Etobicoke is facing 13 charges for continuing to...
Sperm Donor Looked Stellar.
Then, a 'Horrifying' Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 3, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Sperm Donor Looked Stellar. Then, a 'Horrifying' Find
Families suing after 5 kids from Donor 3116 test positive for degenerative nerve disorder
- He seemed like the perfect sperm donor: a well-educated cytogeneticist with a robust genetic makeup, with no signs of even minor health issues. But seven Canadian families say the man known as Donor 3116 wasn't quite what he seemed, and they're now suing the Ontario sperm bank they...
Canada Busts Americans
Under Quarantine Act
Jul 5, 2020 9:21 AM CDT
Canada Busts Americans Under Quarantine Act
Police say visitors roamed Canadian border town instead of isolating
- When David and Anne Sippell entered Canada last month at Fort Frances, police say, they were told to drive straight to their destination and isolate for 14 days. That's not what the pair from Excelsior, Minn., did, Ontario officials say. Instead, Global News reports, the Sippells were seen in...
19 Arrests Made in
Investigation of Vicious
Tow Truck Turf War
May 26, 2020 5:57 PM CDT
19 Arrests Made in Investigation of Vicious Tow Truck Turf War
Cops say organized crime dominates industry in Toronto area
- The tow truck industry in the Toronto area has broken down into a "true Wild West show" dominated by organized crime, police say. Police said Tuesday that 200 charges were filed and 19 arrests were made in an investigation of turf wars between rival operators that have "resulted...
Band for Miners Collects
an Apt World Record
Mar 13, 2020 10:05 AM CDT
Band for Miners Collects an Apt World Record
Shaft Bottom Boys perform 'deepest concert' ever
- The appropriately named Shaft Bottom Boys have nabbed the world record for " deepest concert ," performing for 50 miners at the bottom of one of the deepest mines in the world. A Guinness World Records adjudicator was on hand Saturday as the Canadian "novelty band" known for celebrating...
Judge Orders Subway to Pay
Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
Mar 1, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Judge Orders Subway to Pay Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
But it's unclear whether the chain did anything wrong
- A CBC report on Subway's chicken sandwiches is going to cost the chain fairly big bucks—regardless of the report's accuracy, the CBC reports. A judge has ordered Subway to reimburse the CBC $500,000 in legal costs after the chain tried to sue over the eye-grabbing 2017...
Alert Warns 14M About
'Incident' at Nuke Plant
Jan 12, 2020 12:50 PM CST
Alert Warns 14M About 'Incident' at Nuke Plant
Ontario residents receive an odd early-morning message
- People throughout the Canadian province of Ontario awoke Sunday to an alarming alert of an "incident" at a nuclear plant just east of Toronto—only to later be told the message was a mistake, the AP reports. The initial early morning emergency message popped up on the screens of...
Man Complains About
Amber Alert, Gets Arrested
Oct 4, 2019 1:36 AM CDT
Man Complains About Amber Alert, Gets Arrested
Canadian man complained he had been trying to rest
- When police in Ontario, Canada, put out an Amber Alert for five missing children, a man called 911 within minutes—to complain about the alert. Police say 70-year-old Hamilton resident Doug Bagshaw was arrested and charged with mischief because he called 911 when there was no emergency, trying to "...
Student Turns Up
on Rural Doorstep
Mar 27, 2019 6:23 AM CDT
Kidnapped Student Turns Up on Rural Doorstep
Wanzhen Lu found 'in good health' north of Toronto
- The knock on the door in Gravenhurst, Ont., came around 9pm Tuesday. Standing outside the rural cottage, some 100 miles north of the Toronto suburb from which he was kidnapped Saturday , was 22-year-old Wanzhen "Peter" Lu, looking for help. The homeowner immediately called police, who found the Chinese international...
Lawyer Fired After 'Appalling'
Remark About Teen Girls
Mar 26, 2019 8:45 AM CDT
Lawyer Fired After 'Appalling' Remark About Teen Girls
Gary McCallum argued a 14- or 15-year-old is a 'sexually mature young woman,' not a child
- A Toronto lawyer has been fired from an Ontario children's aid group after making eyebrow-raising remarks about teen girls. Per CTV , Gary McCallum was representing Kenora-Rainy River Districts Child and Family Services last year in a suit brought by a woman who says she was sexually abused by her...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
Study Finds 'All Our Efforts' on Vaccines Not 'Trash' After All
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.