Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Boy Playing in
Ends Up in
Jan 31, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Boy Playing in Shipping Container Ends Up in Another Country
He entered container in Bangladesh, exited in Malaysia 6 days later
- A 15-year-old boy apparently playing hide and seek entered a shipping container in Bangladesh ... and didn't exit until six days later, when the container had been transported to Malaysia. That's 1,600 nautical miles, or more than 1,840 miles, according to maritime tracking site FleetMon . The Malaysian...
We're in the Middle of a
Shipping Container Struggle
Sep 12, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
We're in the Middle of a Shipping Container Struggle
They're crazy expensive and in demand these days
- There have been plenty of stories about COVID-related shortages of everything from semiconductor chips to toilet paper . CNN adds shipping containers to that category. What used to be a fairly cheap commodity—as recently as a year ago you could rent a 40-foot steel container on a ship bound from...
House Made of Shipping
Containers Goes for Millions
Sep 6, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
House Made of Shipping Containers Goes for Millions
The 6,000-square-foot Brooklyn home is actually pretty swanky
- Housing prices have gone so crazy that a shipping container in Brooklyn is going for more than 5 million bucks. That's one take, anyway. Another take—it's a lot of shipping containers that make up a pretty cool house and, while hardly a steal, not tragically overpriced. After...
Ship That Clogged the Suez
Finally Arrives at Its Destination
Aug 4, 2021 1:52 AM CDT
Ship That Clogged the Suez Finally Arrives at Its Destination
Ever Given docks in UK, only 4 months late
- Four months late, the massive container ship that blocked the Suez canal for nearly a week has docked in the UK. The Ever Given, the 1,300-foot-long cargo ship that got stuck against a bank in March, had been held by the Egyptian authorities in charge of the canal for...
Let's Hope Ever Given Doesn't
Get Stuck on Its Way Out
Jul 7, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Let's Hope Ever Given Doesn't Get Stuck on Its Way Out
Container ship that blocked Suez Canal is finally setting sail after owners finalize deal with Egypt
- It's not clear how much of the $550 million Egypt demanded it actually got, but it was enough to spring a container ship. The Ever Given has begun its departure from the Suez Canal, where just a few months ago it created an international headache when it got stuck...
She's Free: Cargo Ship
Is Unstuck From Suez Canal
Mar 29, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
She's Free: Cargo Ship Is Unstuck From Suez Canal
Ever Given is being pulled toward a lake in the Suez Canal
- The stuck ship is stuck no more. Salvage teams on Monday set free a colossal container ship that has halted global trade through the Suez Canal, a canal services firm said, bringing an end to a crisis that for nearly a week clogged one of the world’s most vital...
There's a New Retail
'Crisis' Affecting Costco
in case you missed it
Mar 14, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
There's a New Retail 'Crisis' Affecting Costco
Imports delayed over apparent lack of shipping containers
- There's a reason your local Costco may look barer than usual. Delays at ports are affecting supplies of imported goods, and imported cheeses in particular,
reports. During an earnings call last week, CFO Richard Galanti explained Costco was seeing limited supplies of cheese, seafood, olive oil, furniture,...
Container Ship Set for Arctic
Marks a 'Turning Point'
Aug 22, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
Container Ship Set for Arctic Marks a 'Turning Point'
Maersk's 'trial' has environmentalists on edge
- The world's largest container shipping company will follow explorers who sought sea passages through the Arctic half a millennium ago, though likely with more success thanks to global warming. In what NPR calls a turning point, Denmark-based Maersk will send the first container ship—a 42,000-ton vessel housing...
Jul 21, 2014 9:00 AM CDT
DC's New Cheap Housing: Shipping Crates
An innovative project may boost the next trend
- Off-campus housing isn’t known for being particularly innovative, but two real estate entrepreneurs are putting up housing near Catholic University made out of decidedly unusual materials: 8-by-40-foot steel shipping containers, reports the
. Each level hosts six containers and serves as its own apartment, with six bedrooms and...
Somalia Piracy Hampers
Food Aid: UN
Apr 9, 2009 2:22 PM CDT
Somalia Piracy Hampers Food Aid: UN
Danger of hijacking has raised costs dramatically, WFP official says
- Piracy off the coast of Somalia is making relief organizations' work even more difficult, Reuters reports. The UN’s World Food Program today decried both the hijacking of ships bearing aid supplies—the Maersk Alabama, for example, had 232 WFP containers on board when it was seized this week—and...
Mobile Servers Save Energy, Add Capacity
Jun 22, 2007 5:30 PM CDT
Mobile Servers Save Energy, Add Capacity
Sun packages extra processing power in steel shipping containers
- Sun Microsystems has a solution for the booming demand for network space, and as a bonus, it lowers energy use: packing servers into steel shipping containers that can be parked wherever they're needed. It's called Project Blackbox, and Sun says it reduces power consumption by 20%. The giant 20-foot boxes...
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Historic Lead Pipe Proposal Is a 'Pediatrician's Dream'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.