Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sep 17, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Dad: School Librarian Cut My Daughter's Hair Off
Jimmy Hoffmeyer is suing for $1M, claiming racial discrimination over March incident
- Two times in March, 7-year-old Jurnee Hoffmeyer came home from her Michigan school with a surprise haircut. Now, her dad is suing, claiming the white school librarian who gave Jurnee her second cut did so without his permission and violated his biracial daughter's constitutional rights. Per the $1 million...
Airline Forced Me
to Prove I'm
May 30, 2018 1:48 PM CDT
Berkeley Coach: Airline Forced Me to Prove I'm Biracial Son's Mom
Cal basketball coach Lindsay Gottlieb calls out Southwest
- Lindsay Gottlieb, coach of the University of California at Berkeley women’s basketball team, has flown with her son "approx 50 times" with no incident. So she was "appalled," as she wrote in a series of tweets to Southwest Airlines Monday, that during her most recent trip...
One Has Dark Skin, One Light
—and They're Twins
Jan 24, 2017 5:10 PM CST
One Has Dark Skin, One Light —and They're Twins
Mom is white, dad is black
- Kalani and Jarani Dean are twin girls, but you might not know it by looking at them. Kalani has light skin and blue eyes—inherited from Caucasian mom Whitney Meyer—while Jarani has darker skin and brown eyes, inherited from African-American dad Tomas Dean. The Illinois nine-month-olds are gaining attention...
Miss World Japan
Called 'Dirty' for
Sep 8, 2016 9:03 AM CDT
Miss World Japan Called 'Dirty' for Being Biracial
Priyanka Yoshikawa wants to 'change perceptions'
- Growing up in Japan, "everyone thought I was a germ. Like, if they touched me they would be touching something bad," says Priyanka Yoshikawa. It's an experience she wants no one else to endure. The half-Indian, half-Japanese English teacher crowned Miss World Japan on Monday has promised...
Apr 22, 2016 6:05 PM CDT
Woman Sues Sperm Bank Over Biracial Baby...Again
She wants more than $150K for being given sperm from a black man
- A white Ohio woman mistakenly provided with sperm from a black man is suing the sperm bank she says is responsible…again. Reuters reports Jennifer Cramblett filed the new lawsuit in federal court on Friday. It claims the Midwest Sperm Bank committed negligence, fraud, and misconduct when it provided her...
Links 'Gag Reflex,'
Nov 12, 2013 1:29 PM CST
Columnist Links 'Gag Reflex,' Interracial Marriage
Richard Cohen catching flak over latest opinion piece
columnist Richard Cohen is raising a lot of eyebrows today with his latest column , which is about Iowa's conservative Republicans and includes, well, this:
"People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York—a white man married to a
Dead at 87
Feb 5, 2013 1:14 AM CST
Strom Thurmond's Secret Daughter Dead at 87
Segregationist never publicly acknowledged mixed-race daughter
- Essie Mae Washington-Williams, the mixed-race daughter of arch-segregationist Sen. Strom Thurmond, has died at the age of 87. Her mother was a 16-year-old maid working for the Thurmond family in South Carolina when she was impregnated by the man who went on to serve 48 years in the Senate, where...
Apr 26, 2012 2:30 PM CDT
Past Decade Sees Biracial Baby Boom
It's a 'ray of hope' for race relations: expert
- The number of biracial American babies has zoomed upward during the past decade, according to census data, in what analysts call a positive sign for US race relations. The increase has been driven by more interracial couples as well as more parents choosing to identify their kids as mixed-race, the...
Obama Only Marked Black
Apr 4, 2011 1:17 PM CDT
Obama Only Marked Black on Census—Unfortunately
It could have been 'historic teaching moment,' writes Gregory Rodriguez
- When Barack Obama sat down to fill out his census form, he checked off one race: black. And as one of the most famous mixed-race people in the world, "he missed an opportunity," writes Gregory Rodriguez for the
Los Angeles Times .
In the 20th century, the idea of...
Obama Blew It
Apr 29, 2010 1:57 PM CDT
Obama Blew It With 'Black' Census Pick
He missed a chance to celebrate being biracial
- Elizabeth Chang wants America to "move beyond the tired concept of race," which is why she's so disappointed that President Obama chose to check only "black" on his census form. Under the rules, he could have checked "white" as well, or "some other race."...
For Census Purposes,
Apr 2, 2010 5:20 PM CDT
For Census Purposes, Obama's African-American
In response to question about race, president checks one box
- When he filled out his census form yesterday, President Obama identified himself as African-American. The son of a black Kenyan and a white Kansan, Obama had the option to check more than one box. He didn't hesitate before choosing "Black, African Am., or Negro," White House press secretary...
Lost Children of Vietnam War Seek Their Place
Oct 10, 2008 1:13 PM CDT
Lost Children of Vietnam War Seek Their Place
Amerasians, shunted aside in both cultures, want citizenship
- Some American servicemen left children behind when they came home from Vietnam and Korea, and those Amerasians, now in their 30s and 40s, are stuck between two cultures that don't fully accept them. "I am not a refugee, but I am being treated as one," says a member...
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.