Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Spring Break Goes Badly
for West Point Cadets
Mar 12, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Spring Break Goes Badly for West Point Cadets
7 people were hospitalized in Fort Lauderdale after ODing on powdery substance laced with fentanyl
- Spring break in Fort Lauderdale didn't end well for one group this week, with seven people hospitalized after ODing on fentanyl, several of them confirmed to be West Point cadets. Police say that Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue responded to a call at a vacation rental home in Wilton Manors...
Student's Father Charged
in Mask Clash at High School
Aug 25, 2021 4:12 PM CDT
Student's Father Charged in Mask Clash at High School
Demonstrator was filming his daughter trying to defy Florida district's mandate
- An anti-mask demonstrator was jailed and charged with aggravated child abuse after an officer said he shoved a student during a clash outside a Florida high school. Dan Bauman, 50, was filming his daughter's attempt to enter Fort Lauderdale High School on Wednesday morning while not wearing a mask,...
Florida Goes After Salaries
in School Mask Fight
Aug 20, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Florida Goes After Salaries in School Mask Fight
State warns districts amounts equal to board members' pay will be withheld
- Florida officials are threatening to withhold funds equal to the salaries of school board members if school districts in two counties don't immediately do away with strict mask mandates as the state continues to battle through high hospitalization rates. School boards in Broward and Alachua counties received a warning...
4 Broward Educators
Die of COVID in 2-Day Span
Aug 13, 2021 12:51 PM CDT
4 Broward Educators Die of COVID in 2-Day Span
Florida district, which just voted to flout Gov. DeSantis' ban on mask mandates, mourns its own
- School is less than a week away for kids in Broward County, Fla., but there's sad news before the academic year even kicks off. Per WPLG , the Broward Teachers Union has reported that three teachers and an educational assistant all died of COVID between Tuesday and Wednesday, while an...
School District Reverses Mask
Mandate After DeSantis Order
Aug 3, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
School District Reverses Mask Mandate After DeSantis Order
Florida threatens to pull funding from schools that require face coverings
- A South Florida school district that voted last week to require facial coverings has reversed itself after Gov. Ron DeSantis threatened to cut funding. With coronavirus caseloads surging as the much more contagious delta variant spreads infections, the Broward County school board unanimously voted last week to require students, teachers,...
Down School Board
Meeting on Masks
Jul 28, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Anti-Maskers Shut Down School Board Meeting on Masks
Broward County School Board postponed discussing mask requirements, will revisit Wed.
- Florida's Broward County School Board had planned to discuss mask requirements for the coming school year on Tuesday. But that discussion will have to wait after 20 or so anti-mask protesters showed up at the school board headquarters in Fort Lauderdale, CNN reports. Board member Sarah Leonardi says the...
1985 Shaken Baby Case
Yields New Murder Charge
Jul 27, 2021 12:42 PM CDT
1985 Shaken Baby Case Yields New Murder Charge
Terry McKirchy could face life in prison if convicted in Florida
- Babysitter Terry McKirchy got a light sentence 36 years ago after pleading no contest to attempted murder for shaking 5-month-old Benjamin Dowling so severely that he suffered permanent brain damage—weekends in jail for three months and three years probation. But now McKirchy is facing a possible life sentence after...
Woman Pays $600,
Flies 1K Miles to Vote
Oct 27, 2020 11:28 AM CDT
Woman Pays $600, Flies 1K Miles to Vote
Med student Kaela Bynoe flew home to Florida from Baltimore after absentee ballot failed to show
- Voters are heading out in record droves to cast their ballots in the 2020 election, but one medical student showed extra determination over the weekend to have her voice heard. Per NBC Miami , Kaela Bynoe, a first-year student at Johns Hopkins University's School of Medicine in Baltimore, became concerned...
Judge to Lawyers: You
Still Need to Get Dressed
Apr 14, 2020 1:23 PM CDT
Judge to Lawyers: You Still Need to Get Dressed
'One female attorney appeared still in bed, still under the covers,' he complains
- A Florida judge has one request for attorneys showing up for court hearings via Zoom: Get out of bed and put on some clothes! Broward Circuit Judge Dennis Bailey made the plea in a letter published by the Weston Bar Association, the AP reports. "It is remarkable how many...
Family of UPS Driver Killed in
Fla. Shootout Wants Answers
Dec 7, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Family of UPS Driver Killed in Fla. Shootout Wants Answers
Frank Ordonez and an innocent bystander died, along with 2 robbery suspects
- As the FBI and Florida Department of Law Enforcement continue to investigate the hijacking Thursday of a UPS truck in Florida that led to four deaths in a police shootout, the family of the deceased UPS driver is speaking out. Roy Ordonez tells CNN that his brother, 27-year-old Frank Ordonez,...
He Was Suspended
Over Parkland, Is
Now Out for Good
Oct 24, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
He Was Suspended Over Parkland, Is Now Out for Good
State Senate in Florida votes to remove Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had already suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. Now the state Senate has removed Israel from his elected position for good. CNN reports on the 25-15 vote Wednesday that now makes Israel's removal official; it came nine months after DeSantis put Israel's job on...
Deputy Receives Award,
Scolding During Ceremony
Sep 30, 2019 7:25 PM CDT
Deputy Receives Award, Scolding During Ceremony
City official says he was falsely arrested by 'rogue officer' in 2015
- Joshua Gallardo had just been presented with a deputy of the month award when a Florida city commissioner asked him to come back up to the front of the room. It wasn't for another congratulations. "You probably don’t remember me, but you’re the police officer who...
Jun 26, 2019 1:12 PM CDT
2 More Officers Terminated After Parkland Probe
Broward County Sheriff's Office investigated 7 officers, 4 of whom ended up fired
- Two more officers who responded to the shooting at Parkland, Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have been terminated from the Broward County Sheriff's Office, CNN reports. Sheriff Gregory Tony announced Wednesday that Edward Eason and Josh Stambaugh were terminated Tuesday for neglect of duty. The terminations resulted...
Mar 8, 2019 11:45 AM CST
Sheriff Sues Over Parkland Suspension
Scott Israel claims governor acted 'for political reasons,' wants to be reinstated
- A sheriff suspended on accusations that he failed to prevent the 2018 school shooting in Parkland, Fla., is officially challenging Gov. Ron DeSantis' punishment. Scott Israel seeks to reclaim the post in a lawsuit, alleging DeSantis acted "for political reasons." Israel, 62, specifically claims DeSantis targeted him because...
'Neglect of Duty'
Jan 12, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Broward Sheriff Suspended for 'Incompetence,' 'Neglect of Duty'
Gov. Ron DeSantis pulls Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel over criticism on Parkland shooting
- There's a new sheriff in Broward County, Fla. That's because Scott Israel, the one in that job during the February shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, has been suspended by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, per the
. Israel was removed from his post for "repeated failures,...
Florida Election Official
Quits Hours After Recount
Nov 19, 2018 6:39 AM CST
Florida Election Official Quits Hours After Recount
Trump wanted Brenda Snipes to be fired
- After recounts, Florida has a new governor and a new senator —and Broward County is going to get a new elections supervisor. Broward Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes handed in her resignation Sunday, hours after a manual recount finished and Democrat Bill Nelson conceded the Senate election to Gov....
Cops Say She Drove 70mph
While He Clung to the Hood
Jun 28, 2018 2:40 PM CDT
Cops Say She Drove 70mph While He Clung to the Hood
The two have a 'complicated relationship,' said the ex-boyfriend afterward
- A Florida woman was charged with a misdemeanor after she allegedly drove nearly 20 miles at speeds of up to 70mph, with her ex-boyfriend clinging to the hood of their 2010 Mercedes, reports the Smoking Gun . Patresha Isidore, 24, and Junior Francis, 22, had an argument at a home in...
He Didn't Enter School During
Shooting, Gets Huge Pension
May 16, 2018 8:23 AM CDT
He Didn't Enter School During Shooting, Gets Huge Pension
'This infuriates me,' parent of Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting victim says
- The school resource officer widely criticized for his response to the Feb. 14 Parkland shooting is now the target of abuse over his six-figure pension. Scot Peterson, 55, who retired a week after 17 people died in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School as he stood outside, began...
Their Girls Were Killed in
Parkland. Now They Want
a 'Seat at the Table'
May 15, 2018 1:32 PM CDT
Their Girls Were Killed in Parkland. Now They Want a 'Seat at the Table'
Parents of 2 victims are running for the school board
- Alyssa Alhadeff and Alaina Petty, both 14, were killed in the Valentine's Day shooting at Parkland, Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Now, two of their parents are running for the Broward County school board, ABC News reports. Lori Alhadeff and Ryan Petty announced Tuesday that they are...
Pours In for
Mar 29, 2018 9:55 AM CDT
Fan Mail Pours In for Nikolas Cruz
Women reportedly sending love letters, photos, money
- Nikolas Cruz's brother wanted to start a fan club for the Parkland shooting suspect, but it looks like someone beat him to it. Stacks of fan mail, including love letters and suggestive photographs, have been arriving for Cruz at the Broward County Jail, reports the
South Florida Sun Sentinel
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
Navy Investigation Blames 'Complacency' for Leak That Poisoned Water
Delta Offers to Buy Seats Back on Overbooked Flight for $10K
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.