Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
To the Man
Who Gave Us
May 16, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
To the Man Who Gave Us 'Deep Belly Laughs,' Goodbye
From 'This Is Spinal Tap' to 'Anchorman,' Fred Willard carved out an unusual career
- Fred Willard, the comedic actor whose improv style kept him relevant for more than 50 years in films like
This Is Spinal Tap
Best In Show
, has died, the AP reports. He was 86. Willard's daughter, Hope Mulbarger, said in a statement Saturday that her father died...
Is the Funniest
One-Liner of 2017
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 27, 2017 2:02 PM CDT
This Joke Is the Funniest One-Liner of 2017
According to 'Dave's Funniest Joke of the Fringe'
- If you haven't heard of Scotland's Edinburgh Fringe Festival, you may be part of the minority. The
New York Times
reports the arts festival is the largest "in the known world," with its organizers boasting that only the Olympics and World Cup have a bigger attendance....
of Humor Could
Nov 10, 2015 2:16 PM CST
Sicker Sense of Humor Could Signal Dementia
Some patients laughed at tragic events prior to diagnosis: study
- Scientists are exploring what could be an intriguing link between a dark sense of humor and a rare form of dementia. Researchers at University College London explain that frontotemporal dementia affects the part of the brain related to personality and behavior and can cause patients to become impulsive and reckless....
US Humor Prize
Oct 18, 2015 4:05 PM CDT
Eddie Murphy Receives Top US Humor Prize
SNL alumni turn out for Mark Twain humor prize event
- Eddie Murphy is trading places with Mark Twain. The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is honoring the comedian, film star, producer, and director Sunday evening with the nation's top prize for humor. A lineup of funny men and women including Dave Chappelle, George Lopez, Kathy Griffin, Arsenio Hall,...
Most Terrible Place to
Have Thanksgiving? Ohio
Nov 27, 2014 9:16 AM CST
Most Terrible Place to Have Thanksgiving? Ohio
Based on odds of political arguments, binge drinking, and more
- We're all aware of the many potential pitfalls of Thanksgiving: the political arguments, the drunk-uncle factor, the football losses. Now, the real-estate blog Estately has figured out, based on the confluence of such factors, just which states have the highest risk for terrible turkey dinners. The site looked at...
Sep 26, 2014 4:06 PM CDT
Obituary: Man 'Despised' the Kardashians
'Big Al' Brownley also disliked shorts, enjoyed chili
- Raymond Alan “Big Al” Brownley, who recently died at 82, did not like the Kardashians. In fact, he "despised" them so much that it was pointed out in his obituary in the
. That obituary, which has gone viral, also lists a number of other things "...
The $40K Potato Salad
on Kickstarter Is Evil
Jul 8, 2014 1:54 PM CDT
The $40K Potato Salad on Kickstarter Is Evil
John Herrman thinks money has drained the project of its whimsy
- By now you have probably heard about Zack Danger Brown's ludicrously successful potato salad Kickstarter . It's at more than $40,000 as of this writing, and headed higher all the time. And as far as John Herrman at the Awl is concerned, it's not just out of...
Plugin Wipes Out
Wrong Uses of
Apr 27, 2014 8:13 AM CDT
Plugin Wipes Out Wrong Uses of 'Literally'
Because that word is figuratively everywhere
- Ruthless about grammar? Got Google Chrome? This plugin , highlighted at Yahoo , could figuratively solve all your problems. The "Literally" browser extension gets rid of the pesky incorrect uses of "literally" that litter the Internet, replacing them with "figuratively." According to the extension's developer, "that'...
America's Funniest City Is...
Apr 21, 2014 3:33 PM CDT
America's Funniest City Is...
Chicago, according to new study
- Need a laugh? Head to Chicago. A new study finds the Windy City is also the funniest one in the US, according to the
. "We found humor often has a local flavor," the lead researcher says. "The jokes that get laughs at comedy clubs in...
Go the F--k to Sleep
You're Terrible at Parenting
Nov 11, 2013 11:14 AM CST
Go the F--k to Sleep
Guy: You're Terrible at Parenting
But then, so is everyone else: Adam Mansbach
- It's appalling the way some parents are raising their kids. Just look around: There's that couple letting their children rot their brains with iPhones throughout an entire restaurant meal. Or that dad ripping a tutu off his son for fear it'll turn him gay. Or the mom...
Oct 22, 2013 12:23 PM CDT
Weeklong Experiment: Mom Wears Axe Spray
Dahlia Lithwick joins ranks of teen boys
- It seems Axe body spray is contagious. Dahlia Lithwick was too familiar with its "olfactory terrorism" after her sons, ages 10 and 8, started wearing the brand's body wash, deodorant, and spray in imitation of their 13-year-old cousin. She teased, she joked, and then she one day discovered...
Receipt Rips His
'F---in Needy Kids'
in case you missed it
Jun 22, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
Dad's Restaurant Receipt Rips His 'F---in Needy Kids'
Owner of Friendly's apologizes
- Friendly's Sports Bar and Grill in St. Louis didn't quite live up to its name this Father's Day, when a man found an unusual line item on his printed receipt: "1 f---in needy kids," KSDK reports. The place doesn't usually allow children, its manager...
I Used to Be'
Apr 28, 2013 6:45 AM CDT
Obama: 'I'm Not Strapping Muslim Socialist I Used to Be'
Conan O'Brien slaps Joe Biden at White House Correspondents' Dinner
- This year's White House Correspondents' Dinner saw laughs mixed with reflection on tragedies in Boston and Texas. President Obama took shots at the GOP and the media—not to mention himself. Among his best jokes, via Politico and the
Los Angeles Times
"Some folks still don’t think
Apr 23, 2013 9:43 AM CDT
Burglar Hears Scary Noise, Calls Cops
Turns out it was probably a cat
- A burglar in Romania was arrested—after he called the cops himself. Marius Ionescu, 31, apparently got scared by a noise while looting a house; fearing another robber at work, he dove under the bed and called police to save him, the
reports. They arrived to find no one...
Leno, Fallon Duet
Apr 2, 2013 7:18 AM CDT
Leno, Fallon Duet on
Hosts show their friendship, West Side Story -style
- Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon have had it up to here with hearsay about the
future, and they're doing something about it: singing. The two hosts launched into a version of "Tonight, Tonight" from
West Side Story
last night, reflecting on what's next for...
US CEO Tells France to
Keep Its 'So-Called Workers'
Feb 20, 2013 9:42 AM CST
US CEO Tells France to Keep Its 'So-Called Workers'
They only work 3 hours a day: Titan International's Maurice Taylor
- A US tire company boss has no interest in reconsidering his decision not to buy a French Goodyear factory that's set to close—and he's made his reasons perfectly clear. "You can keep the so-called workers," Maurice "The Grizz" Taylor of Titan International wrote to...
Feb 18, 2013 8:09 AM CST
Rubio's Water Bottles Bring in $100K
More than 3K sold for his PAC
- It looks like Marco Rubio's self-deprecating fundraiser is working. After weathering merciless teasing over his infamous swig during the State of the Union response, the Florida senator began offering water bottles to benefit his political action committee, Reclaim America. Supporters have snapped up more than 3,100 bottles (the...
Feb 12, 2013 8:40 AM CST
Zombie Attack Under Way, Warns Montana TV Station
KRTV apologizes for hackers' warning
- Montana's KRTV yesterday issued an emergency warning: Zombies are on the attack. The scrolling message alerted multiple counties that "dead bodies are rising from their graves" and "attacking the living," the AP reports. People shouldn't "approach or apprehend these bodies as they are extremely...
Chicken for Killing
Death Star Plan
Jan 17, 2013 5:01 AM CST
Empire: Obama Chicken for Killing Death Star Plan
It's 'obvious cowardice': Star Wars blog
- Did the White House just make a grave mistake? After the Obama administration rejected a petition to build a Death Star, the Empire—or its tongue-in-cheek representatives here on Earth—offered a statement, Space.com reports: "The overwhelming military superiority of the Galactic Empire has been confirmed once again...
as Gay Trailblazer
MARK TWAIN PRIZE
Oct 23, 2012 8:07 AM CDT
Ellen Honored as Gay Trailblazer
DeGeneres receives top honor in humor
- Some of the nation's top comedians hailed Ellen DeGeneres as a trailblazer at the Kennedy Center last night as she received the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, the highest US humor prize:
"For a lot of people, Ellen is their only homosexual friend. She's there in
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
FBI: Laundrie Took Responsibility in His Notebook
2 SNL Stars Plunk Down $280K for Staten Island Ferry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.