Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Officials: Mistakes Made
Regarding Vienna Gunman
Nov 4, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Officials: Mistakes Made Regarding Vienna Gunman
He was released from prison early, sought ammo abroad
- The suspected gunman killed following a terror attack in Vienna was convicted of trying to join the Islamic State in Syria, released from prison early in December, and "hoodwinked the justice system's deradicalization program after his release," the AP reports. Kujtim Fejzulai, a 20-year-old dual citizen of...
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna,
Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Nov 3, 2020 6:49 AM CST
Death Toll Climbs in Vienna, Where '100 Rounds' Rang Out
Suspect was ISIS 'sympathizer' with previous terror conviction: officials
- Four victims have been confirmed dead following a terror attack in Vienna in which at least one shooter fired at people enjoying a night out in the city on the eve of a national lockdown. The death toll includes two men and two women, in addition to one shooter. Fifteen...
2 Weeks After Terror Attack in
France, a New 'Vision of Horror'
Oct 29, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
2 Weeks After Terror Attack in France, a New 'Vision of Horror'
3 dead, several injured at Nice church in what mayor says is another terror attack
- A knife attack at a church in Nice, France, has left three people dead and several others injured, with the mayor of the city declaring it has all the signs of a terror attack. The
report the attack took place around 9am at and near the...
'If a Car Targets Motorcycles,
They Don't Have a Chance'
Aug 19, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
'If a Car Targets Motorcycles, They Don't Have a Chance'
One person is in life-threatening condition after what's being called a terror attack in Berlin
- An Iraqi-born man deliberately drove his car into motorcycles along a stretch of Berlin highway, leaving at least one person in life-threatening condition in what German officials said Wednesday was a terror attack. "According to the current state of our investigation we assume this was an Islamist-motivated attack,”...
American Among the
Dead in UK Terror Attack
Jun 22, 2020 7:28 AM CDT
American Among the Dead in UK Terror Attack
Joe Ritchie-Bennett, 39, stabbed to death Saturday, had moved to England 15 years ago
- An American man was among the three victims stabbed to death in a park in the English town of Reading, in an incident that's being treated as a terror attack, the US ambassador to Britain confirmed Monday. Ambassador Woody Johnson offered his "deepest condolences'' to the families...
They Hid Under Beds.
One Mom Was Killed
Holding Her Newborn
May 13, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
They Hid Under Beds. One Mom Was Killed Holding Her Newborn
Death toll in pair of attacks Tuesday in Afghanistan climbs to 56
- The death toll in Tuesday's attack on an Afghan hospital's maternity ward has climbed to 24, while deaths from a later attack on a funeral have risen to 32, per the BBC . The terror began around 10am with blasts and gunfire heard at the Dasht-e-Barchi hospital in Kabul....
Ukraine Not Ruling Out
Missile in Jet Crash
Jan 9, 2020 11:16 AM CST
Ukraine Not Ruling Out Missile in Jet Crash
'Too many things are unclear,' says one official about Iranian tragedy
- Iran says it's confident that some kind of mechanical failure brought down a Ukrainian passenger jet near Tehran this week. Ukraine, however, isn't so sure. Its investigators are looking into the possibility that a missile or perhaps an explosion inside the jet as part of a terrorist attack...
Fire Extinguisher, Giant Tusk
Used on London Bridge Suspect
Nov 30, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Fire Extinguisher, Giant Tusk Used on London Bridge Suspect
Deceased attacker IDed as 28-year-old Usman Khan, convicted in 2012 on terrorism charges
- After Friday's stabbing attack at London Bridge that killed two, a name for the also-deceased suspect: Usman Khan, a 28-year-old who'd been convicted in 2012 on terrorism offenses, per CNN . The news outlet reports that Khan, originally hailing from Pakistan, was nabbed in a counterterrorism sweep in London...
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic
Never Used in Southeast Asia
May 17, 2019 9:27 AM CDT
Cops: We Foiled Terror Tactic Never Used in Southeast Asia
Police in Indonesia say they busted bomb plot that would've used WiFi for detonation
- Next Wednesday was supposed to be the day. That's when Islamic militants were planning on setting off a bomb, an Indonesian police spokesman says—and they reportedly had a high-tech plan in place. They were going to use WiFi to detonate it, Dedi Prasetyo tells the
New York Times
Sri Lankan Official:
the 'Worrying Factor'
Apr 24, 2019 8:11 AM CDT
Sri Lankan Official: the 'Worrying Factor' About Suspects
Defense minister says it appears many bombing suspects lived, studied abroad
- The Islamic State has claimed credit for helping suicide bombers pull off the Easter weekend attacks in Sri Lanka, and the nation's defense minister is now citing a "worrying factor" about them. "Most of them are well-educated and come from middle- or upper-middle class [families], so they...
An American on Work Trip
Among the Dead in Sri Lanka
Apr 22, 2019 8:48 AM CDT
An American on Work Trip Among the Dead in Sri Lanka
Dieter Kowalski, 40, was a Denver resident who was born in Milwaukee
- We knew that Americans were among the victims of the terror attacks in Sri Lanka , and now we have the first name: Dieter Kowalski, a 40-year-old Denver resident. Kowalski worked in tech for Pearson, described as an educational publishing and assessment company, and he had just arrived in Sri Lanka...
Cops: 'Serious Act of Violent
Subversion' Halted in Germany
Mar 30, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Cops: 'Serious Act of Violent Subversion' Halted in Germany
10 have been arrested for allegedly plotting terror attack
- German police say they've arrested 10 people in the west of the country on suspicion of planning an Islamic extremist terror attack, per the AP . The DPA news agency reported the suspects were taken into custody on Friday and Saturday in the towns of Essen, Duesseldorf, Wuppertal, Moenchengladbach, Duisburg...
Guns Used in Massacre Had
Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
Mar 15, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Survived 9/11 Killed
in Kenya Attack
Jan 16, 2019 11:00 AM CST
American Who Survived 9/11 Killed in Kenya Attack
Jason Spindler was eating lunch at targeted hotel
- He escaped one act of terrorism, but not a second. American Jason Spindler, a survivor of the 9/11 terror attacks, was among at least 14 people killed Tuesday when militants stormed a hotel and office complex in Nairobi, Kenya. Nairobi News cites colleagues as saying the founder and CEO of...
A Month After Trump
Declared Victory in Syria,
US Soldiers Killed
Jan 16, 2019 10:40 AM CST
A Month After Trump Declared Victory in Syria, US Soldiers Killed
As many as 4 US service members may have been killed in suicide bomber attack
- It may have been the deadliest attack against US forces in Syria yet: A suicide bomber detonated an explosive vest amid international forces on a routine patrol in the northern town of Manbij Wednesday. It's not yet clear how many US service members were killed; per Bloomberg , the Trump...
'There Was No Time to Count
the Dead' in Nairobi Attack
Jan 15, 2019 12:34 PM CST
'There Was No Time to Count the Dead' in Nairobi Attack
Al-Shabab claims responsibility for attack on luxury hotel
- Extremists launched a deadly attack on a luxury hotel in Kenya's capital Tuesday, sending people fleeing in panic as explosions and heavy gunfire reverberated through the complex. A witness said he saw five bodies at the hotel entrance alone. Al-Shabab—the Somalia-based Islamic extremist group that carried out...
On 2-Day Leave From
Prison, He Went
on a Rampage
May 30, 2018 1:03 AM CDT
On 2-Day Leave From Prison, He Went on a Rampage
Belgian man killed 2 female officers, one bystander in suspected terror attack
- A knife-wielding prison inmate on a 48-hour leave stabbed two police officers Tuesday in the Belgian city of Liege, seized their service weapons, and shot them and a bystander to death before being mowed down by a group of officers, setting off a major terror investigation into the country's...
Fatal Paris Stabbing
Claimed by Islamic State
May 12, 2018 6:00 PM CDT
Fatal Paris Stabbing Claimed by Islamic State
Macron says France will resist 'enemies of freedom'
- President Emmanuel Macron said Saturday that France will not cede to "enemies of freedom" after a fatal stabbing attack in Paris was claimed by the Islamic State group, the AP reports. Macron tweeted his praise for police who "neutralized the terrorist" and his thoughts for the victims. In...
'Hero' Cop Who
Mar 24, 2018 8:54 AM CDT
'Hero' Cop Who Swapped Self for Hostage Is Dead
Arnaud Beltrame, 44, was among the first responders
- A French police officer who offered himself up to an Islamic extremist gunman in exchange for a hostage died of his injuries, raising the death toll in the attack to four, and the officer was honored Saturday as a national hero of "exceptional courage and selflessness." Lt. Col....
Kills 3 in Supermarket
Mar 23, 2018 10:16 AM CDT
France Hostage-Taker Kills 3 in Supermarket
Police shoot him dead, are investigating possible terror connection
- An armed man took hostages in a supermarket in southern France on Friday, killing three people and injuring about a dozen others before being shot to death when French police stormed the market, authorities said. French President Emmanuel Macron said all evidence suggested that it was a terror attack—the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Peloton Suspends Production
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.