Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
After Sesame Was Named an
Allergen, a Weird Consequence
Dec 21, 2022 3:01 PM CST
After Sesame Was Named an Allergen, a Weird Consequence
Stringency of labeling law is causing more companies to add the ingredient
- A new federal law requiring that sesame be listed as an allergen on food labels is having an unintended consequence: The number of products with the ingredient is increasing because of it. Food industry experts said the requirements are so stringent that many manufacturers, especially bakers, find it simpler and...
US Decides There Are
Now 9 Major Food Allergens
Apr 26, 2021 1:55 PM CDT
US Decides There Are Now 9 Major Food Allergens
Sesame must be specified on labels starting in 2023
- For years now, any food that contains one of eight food allergens—milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, or soybeans—must say so on the label. Now there's a ninth ingredient on that list: sesame, reports the
New York Times
. President Biden late last week signed legislation...
Coroner Doles Out Blame in
Death of Girl Who Ate Baguette
Sep 28, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Coroner Doles Out Blame in Death of Girl Who Ate Baguette
He found Pret a Manger's labeling inadequate
- The 15-year-old who died after eating an artichoke, olive, and tapenade baguette from the Pret a Manger sandwich shop at London's Heathrow Airport died because a key ingredient was not listed. The coroner in the case calls the allergy labeling inadequate, saying Natasha Ednan-Laperouse was "reassured" by the...
Teen Dies After Eating
Sep 24, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Teen Dies After Eating Airport Baguette
It had sesame seeds, but they were not required to be listed in the London Pret a Manger shop
- She picked out a healthy-sounding baguette: artichoke, olive, and tapenade. But what 15-year-old British teenager Natasha Ednan-Laperouse didn't realize is that the baguette from the Pret a Manger sandwich shop at London's Heathrow Airport also contained sesame seeds. The seeds were apparently baked into the baguette and thus...
Why This Bagel
Mar 18, 2009 9:20 AM CDT
Why This Bagel Is Becoming More Dangerous
Hint: hummus, sushi, and falafel often carry the same risk
- If you often suffer a reaction soon after eating burgers or hummus, it might be time to get checked out for one of the fastest-growing allergies in the US: sesame seeds. Experts link the spike in allergies to the increasing popularity of sesame-rich foods like falafel and tahini—but the...
Popular on Newser
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Former Child Actor Lance Kerwin Dead at 62
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.