Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Researchers Find Another Disease Carried by Ticks
In the US, there are at least 16
- Researchers have identified a new disease carried by a tick in Inner Mongolia. In the US alone, at least 16 diseases have been identified that ticks can pass on to humans, NPR reports. The discovery, disclosed in a study in the
New England Journal of Medicine
, means that we don'...
Red Meat Allergy From Ticks Easier to Get Than Thought
Study causes scientists to revise their theory
- It's perhaps the weirdest ailment related to ticks—one bite can make people allergic to red meat . Now scientists have done some more research, only to conclude that the risk of getting this allergy from the lone star tick may be higher than they originally thought. It all has...
Tick That Can Cause 'Massive Infestations' Now in 9 States
Asian longhorned ticks have been found on pets, livestock, and humans
- Putting the word "exotic" in front of "tick" doesn't make the arachnid any more appealing, especially since one type is now proliferating across the US and bringing potential sicknesses with them.
reports on a new warning from the CDC , which notes that the "fast-multiplying"...
Just What We Didn't Need: a Brand-New Tick in US
Asian longhorned tick, an import, is spreading fast on the East Coast
- Because ticks that make you allergic to meat or give you Lyme disease weren't distressing enough: A new tick from east Asia is now spreading rapidly along the East Coast, the first new species to arrive in 50 years, reports the
New York Times
. It's called the Asian...
To Avoid Ticks, Follow Lead of US Military
Permethrin-treated clothing proves effective in new study
- The US military was apparently on to something when it began treating soldiers' uniforms with permethrin in the 1980s. The move was based on tests showing the EPA-registered pesticide, which mimics extracts from the chrysanthemum flower, prevented tick and other insect bites. Three decades later, it still holds up to...
Spray Your Clothes With This Chemical to Keep Ticks Away
The CDC says an insecticide called permethrin causes ticks to fall from clothing
- In an especially nasty year for ticks, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a statement about a possible method for preventing the spread of diseases carried by their bites, Live Science reports. By spraying clothing with an insecticide called permethrin, experts believe you can cause the...
A Mom's Natural Tick Spray Shows Promise in Tests
Lisa Ali's AtlanTick spray wards off most ticks in studies at Canadian university
- The story begins in all-too-familiar fashion: A mom discovers that her two young sons were bitten by ticks and developed Lyme disease as a result. Then comes the not-so-typical twist: The same mom develops an all-natural tick spray that is showing promise in tests at a Canadian university. As the...
Tick, Mosquito Infections Have More Than Tripled
Bloodsucker season is getting longer, CDC warns
- The number of Americans catching diseases from tiny bloodsucking creatures is going up at an alarming rate, federal authorities warn. According to the latest report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of reported illnesses caused by ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas more than tripled between 2004 and...
Lethal Tick Bite Claims Woman in Missouri
Tamela Wilson is fifth known person to have contracted the Bourbon virus
- Tamela Wilson was no stranger to tick bites. The 58-year-old assistant superintendent at Meramec State Park in Missouri had worked at a state park for more than a decade and would pick the bugs off her skin routinely, reports CBS News . But in late May, just four days after she...
Tick Linked to Unusual Malady Appears to Be Spreading
Bite from lone star tick can give you an allergy to meat
- Ticks are out in force this year, and there's one species in particular you should watch out for if you'd ever like to eat meat again. Experts say the lone star tick appears to be spreading from its home base in the southeastern US. Whereas other ticks can...
Family Says Girl, 2, Died After Tick Bite
Doctors suspect it was Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- A grieving family in Indiana wants a little girl's death to raise awareness of Rocky Mountain spotted fever, which, despite the name, has been found in almost every state and has killed people a long way from the Rocky Mountains. Doctors believe the tick-borne illness caused the death of...
3-Year-Old's Partial Paralysis Has Surprising Cause
Tick bite caused temporary paralysis in little girl
- An Oregon family got quite a scare on May 12 when their 3-year-old daughter got fussy around bedtime and had trouble standing. Lantz and Amanda Lewis ended up taking little Evelyn to the ER, panicked, when by the next morning she could barely even crawl or use her arms. Lantz...
Mosquitoes, Ticks Are Coming for Us All This Summer
Warm winter means a pest-heavy summer is likely
- America is about to be hit with a major infestation of ticks and mosquitoes, with the National Pest Management Association's chief entomologist predicting a "pretty buggy spring and summer."
reports this year's unusually warm winter—the sixth warmest ever recorded in the US—means...
'That Is Not a Good Thing': Exotic Ticks Reach Alaska
Researchers say some ticks found on dogs, people can't be linked to travel
- Five ticks not native to Alaska have been found on dogs and humans in our northernmost state, and at least one of them—the American dog tick—appears to be solidly "established" in the Last Frontier, Randy Zarnke, an ex-wildlife veterinarian with the state's Department of Fish and...
'Miraculous' Find Saves Dog Moments Before Being Put Down
Tick paralysis is super rare; Ollie had it
- Ten-year-old Ollie was literally moments from death when his life was saved by an attentive veterinary student and a quick-thinking vet, Good Morning America reports. The sheltie had gone camping with his owner in Oregon last month only to become lethargic upon returning home. According to Fox News , Ollie couldn'...
Lyme Disease Ticks Spread to Half of All US Counties
Which is why cases have tripled since 1990s
- Nearly half of all counties in the US are now home to ticks that carry Lyme disease, including areas where they'd never before been documented, researchers at the CDC report in the
Journal of Medical Entomology
. That's up from 30% of counties in 1998, with the
US Cases of Dangerous 'Rabbit Fever' Are Spiking
It's spread to people through contact with infected animals, ticks
- A disease thought to have the potential for use in biological warfare is on the rise in the US. The CDC warns that the rare bacterial disease "rabbit fever," or tularemia—spread by ticks and rabbits—has turned up in 100 people across four states as of Sept....
Oklahoma Mom's Limbs Amputated After Tick Bite
6 days after a Grand Lake holiday trip, Jo Rogers' organs shut down
- A Fourth of July hike to see waterfalls near Grand Lake, Okla., took a bad turn once Jo Rogers and her husband, Keith, got home. Soon after their return, Keith tells ABC News , Jo didn't feel well and suspected the flu. But as Jo got sicker and so lethargic...
Bad News: Lyme Disease Is Spreading
It's no longer just the Northeast's problem
- Lyme disease may be coming to a state near you. The debilitating and potentially deadly illness is spreading from the Northeast, with four times as many high-risk counties (182) than in 1993, NBC News reports. The center of infection has shifted from northern New Jersey to east-central Pennsylvania, and 15...
Researchers Discover New Tick-Borne Disease
Anaplasma capra is a new species of bacteria common in goats
- Ticks can carry more than Lyme disease, as a newly published study reminds us. Researchers from China and the University of Maryland School of Medicine uncovered a previously unknown tick-borne illness after last spring examining 477 Chinese patients who had suffered tick bites. They determined 6% of the patients had...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mysterious Monolith Discovered in Utah
Secret NYC Wedding Was Attended by Thousands
Congratulations, Trump Says, but Not to Biden
Trump: We're Still Fighting
Pennsylvania, Nevada Certify Vote Results
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.