Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Court Re-Ups a
Thorn in Kevin
Aug 8, 2023 1:46 PM CDT
SD Supreme Court Re-Ups a Thorn in Kevin Costner's Side
Judges rule that sculptor's longtime lawsuit against actor over bronze sculpture can resume
- Kevin Costner's divorce has apparently turned contentious , but that's not the only legal issue the
star is contending with. For 15 years, a battle has been brewing between Costner, 68, and sculptor Peggy Detmers, who filed a suit against the actor in 2008 regarding a 17-piece bronze...
Vatican Giving Up
Parthenon Pieces It
Has Held for Centuries
Mar 8, 2023 11:04 AM CST
Vatican Giving Up Parthenon Pieces It Has Held for Centuries
The move ratchets up pressure on the British Museum to do the same
- The Vatican and Greece finalized a deal Tuesday for the return of three sculpture fragments from the Parthenon that have been in the collection of the Vatican Museums for two centuries, the latest case of a Western museum bowing to demands for restitution. The Vatican has termed the return an...
Brad Pitt Goes Public With
Sep 20, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Brad Pitt Goes Public With Self-Reflection Sculptures
He's 'taking account of those I may have hurt, moments I have just gotten wrong'
- Following in the footsteps of fellow actor Johnny Depp , Brad Pitt is making his non-film-related art public for the first time. The 58-year-old shocked art lovers in Finland on Saturday when he showed up to exhibit nine sculptures at Sara Hilden Art Museum in Tampere. His involvement in the larger...
Renowned Creator of Funky
Urban Sculptures Dies
Jul 18, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
Renowned Creator of Funky Urban Sculptures Dies
Claes Oldenburg was 93
- Pop artist Claes Oldenburg, who turned the mundane into the monumental through his outsized sculptures of a baseball bat, a clothespin, and other objects, has died at age 93. Oldenburg died Monday morning in Manhattan, according to his daughter, Maartje Oldenburg. He had been in poor health since falling and...
She Had a Hunch
on Her $34.99
She Was Right
in case you missed it
May 8, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
She Had a Hunch on Her $34.99 Goodwill Find. She Was Right
Art collector confirms she bought a stone bust straight out of ancient Rome
- Four years ago, an art collector picked up an old stone bust at a Texas thrift shop for less than $40. It was money well spent: The sculpture has been confirmed to be an artifact straight out of ancient Rome. KHOU reports that Laura Young stumbled upon the bust, nestled...
His Fields Makes
an Ancient Find
Apr 27, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
Farmer Working His Fields Makes an Ancient Find
Limestone head is thought to represent the Canaanite goddess Anat
- A farmer in the Gaza Strip went to work on Monday and found himself the subject of international news stories days later, all thanks to what he found in the ground. Nidal Abu Eid was plowing his land when he turned up a 4,500-year-old limestone head thought to represent...
Statue of Kobe,
at Crash Site
Jan 27, 2022 9:01 AM CST
Statue of Kobe, Gianna Unveiled at Crash Site
Miniature version of a larger work placed temporarily to honor 2nd death anniversary
- Two years to the day after a helicopter crash killed nine people, a statue was unveiled of its two most prominent victims, NBA legend Kobe Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, at the site of the tragedy in Calabasas, Calif., per CNN . The 160-pound bronze statue shows Bryant in his...
University of Hong Kong
Wants 'Pillar of Shame' to Go
Nov 12, 2021 7:20 AM CST
University of Hong Kong Wants 'Pillar of Shame' to Go
Creator requests immunity from national security law to remove pro-democracy symbol
- The Danish sculptor behind one of the last pro-democracy symbols in Hong Kong is asking authorities for legal protection so he can remove it at the request of the University of Hong Kong. The Pillar of Shame, a 26-foot-tall copper sculpture depicting torn and twisted bodies—created in honor of...
On Michelangelo Sculpture,
a Possible 'Direct Connection'
Jul 16, 2021 9:12 AM CDT
On Michelangelo Sculpture, a Possible 'Direct Connection'
Museum staff find what may be the artist's fingerprint on wax model
- A big find on a Michelangelo sculpture suggests the artist may have left something important behind on his work. Per the
, one of the butt cheeks on Michelangelo's "A Slave"—a wax statue said to have been used as a model for a never-completed marble...
Artist Sells 'Invisible'
Sculpture for $18K
Jun 7, 2021 6:14 AM CDT
Artist Sells 'Invisible' Sculpture for $18K
Someone just bought Salvatore Garau's 'immaterial' artwork, sight unseen
- As innovators try to take advantage of the NFT craze and come up with the latest digital asset to sell, Salvatore Garau's newest creation is a more old-fashioned piece of art that exists in the real world—kind of. The 67-year-old Italian artist has sold
Billionaire Offers to End 'Petty'
$1M Fight. Foe Says Nope
in case you missed it
Dec 12, 2020 12:10 PM CST
Billionaire Offers to End 'Petty' $1M Fight. Foe Says Nope
It's all over an expensive lawn sculpture Pimco co-founder erected in his yard in Laguna Beach
- "I do not willingly back down from a fight," says billionaire Bill Gross, who's engaged in a legal battle with his Laguna Beach neighbor over a $1 million lawn sculpture. But even the Pimco co-founder says he's had enough of this "petty" disagreement amid a...
Art Critic Pushes
Back After Her
Soda Can Destroys
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 15, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Art Critic Pushes Back After Her Soda Can Destroys $19K Art
Glass sculpture shatters at Mexico City art fair; Avelina Lesper says it was an accident
- You don't want to be "that guy" (or gal) when you're at an art fair—you know, the one who causes a $19,000 glass sculpture to shatter into a zillion pieces when you place your soda can on or near it. Unfortunately for Avelina Lesper, she...
Egypt's Outrage Couldn't
Stop This $6M Sale
Jul 5, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Egypt's Outrage Couldn't Stop This $6M Sale
Christie's holds auction of 3,000-year-old King Tut bust despite Egypt's claims it was stolen
- "Egyptian history is not for sale" is what signs carried by protesters read outside of Christie's in London. But apparently it was, as a controversial auction of a King Tut bust was carried out Thursday, fetching nearly $6 million, Reuters reports. At issue regarding the 3,000-year-old, 11-inch-high...
Koons Reclaims Title of
Most Expensive Living Artist
May 16, 2019 4:00 AM CDT
Koons Reclaims Title of Most Expensive Living Artist
'Rabbit' fetched $91.1M at Christie's auction
- Jeff Koons hopped back on top of the art world Wednesday night when his "Rabbit" sculpture sold for a record $91.1 million at a Christie's auction. It was the most expensive work by a living artist ever sold at auction, breaking a record set just six months...
'New' Da Vinci Work Is Unveiled
Mar 10, 2019 3:38 PM CDT
'New' Da Vinci Work Is Unveiled
It's called 'The Virgin with the Laughing Child'
- A smile, a laugh, a few folds, and presto—you have the only existing sculpture by Leonardo da Vinci. That's pretty much the takeaway after
The Virgin with the Laughing Child
was presented this week at an exhibition in Florence, NPR reports. An Italian academic and a Leonardo scholar...
'Fearless Girl' Is Moving
Apr 19, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
'Fearless Girl' Is Moving
Sculpture will leave spot near 'Charging Bull' and move a few blocks away, outside the NYSE
- "Fearless Girl" is getting a new home. The statue near Wall Street that has become a global symbol of female can-do business spirit will be moved from her spot facing the "Charging Bull," per the AP . She won't be going far, however: CNN reports the statue...
Waiter Learns the
Hard Way to Be
Oct 27, 2016 9:48 AM CDT
Waiter Learns the Hard Way to Be Careful Around Ancient Art
Venus statue at London's British Museum had thumb knocked right off by catering server
- A waiter who was all thumbs cost a priceless Roman sculpture one of its own. The BBC reports on the incident at London's British Museum, which the
says took place in December, in which the unfortunate unnamed server from an outside catering vendor was setting up for...
She's 55 Feet Tall,
Nude, and Pretty
Oct 21, 2016 10:06 AM CDT
She's 55 Feet Tall, Nude, and Pretty Controversial
Some San Leandro residents want sculpture to put some clothes on
- There have long been complaints about the lack of women in the tech industry. Now there's a towering female figure, in a tech park across the bay from San Francisco, although not quite what some people had in mind. A 55-foot-tall statue of a nude woman unveiled this week...
Feb 5, 2016 10:18 AM CST
Paintings of Michelangelo Reveal His Malady
Researchers say he had osteoarthritis
- For centuries it has been thought that Michelangelo suffered from gout in later life, which was at the time used as a catch-all phrase to include all forms of arthritis. Researchers are reporting in the
Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine
that the famous artist instead had osteoarthritis. It'...
Giant Hitler Head
Pops Up in
Nov 9, 2015 8:03 AM CST
Giant Hitler Head Pops Up in Polish Garden
This one's made of marble and stands 20 inches high
- It was just another day of typical garden work at a Polish museum when a worker's shovel clanked against something hard buried in the ground. The find: a 20-inch-high marble sculpture of the head of one Adolf Hitler, AFP reports. "Somebody made an effort to properly hide it,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.