Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Expert's 'Toughest Day'
at Nazi Death Camp
Involved This Find
Feb 5, 2021 9:05 AM CST
Expert's 'Toughest Day' at Nazi Death Camp Involved This Find
Children's identity tags, some burned with their bodies, found at Sobibor
- Four children from Amsterdam stepped off a train in Nazi-occupied eastern Poland and into the death camp of Sobibor, the last place they'd ever know. Killed in 1943, 6-year-old Lea Judith De La Penha, 8-year-old Deddie Zak, 11-year-old David Juda Van der Velde, and 12-year-old Annie Kapper left behind...
He Long Denied Role
in 28K Deaths. Now, This
Jan 28, 2020 2:29 PM CST
He Long Denied Role in 28K Deaths. Now, This
Historian says this is John Demjanjuk
- Two newly released photos might confirm what John Demjanjuk long denied—his service as a Nazi death camp guard, the
reports. The Ukrainian-born American claimed he was never at the Sobibor death camp, where more than 167,000 Jews were murdered, and died in 2012 appealing a conviction...
Death Camp's Last Survivor
Won't See It Transformed
Jun 5, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Death Camp's Last Survivor Won't See It Transformed
Former Sobibor prisoner Semion Rosenfeld dead at 96
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has paid tribute to the last known survivor of the uprising at the Sobibor extermination camp following his death at a Tel Aviv retirement home at age 96. "May his memory be a blessing," Netanyahu writes of Semion Rosenfeld, one of only 47...
These May Be the
3 Deadliest Months
in Human History
in case you missed it
Jan 5, 2019 5:35 PM CST
These May Be the 3 Deadliest Months in Human History
In terms of people killed by their fellow man
- When it comes to people killed by human hands, it's likely "the deadliest three months in human history," as
puts it. That would be August through October 1942, according to a new peer-reviewed study. Researchers used detailed train transportation records to estimate 1.47 million...
One of Last Known
Sobibor Survivors Has Died
Jan 30, 2018 10:25 AM CST
One of Last Known Sobibor Survivors Has Died
Arkady Waispapir was 96
- Almost everyone who entered Sobibor perished inside. Now, one of the last known survivors of the camp in Poland has died. Arkady Waispapir was 96. The BBC reports an estimated 250,000 Jews were thought to have been killed at the concentration camp, which was the site of a famous...
In Nazi Death Camp, a
Mysterious Link to Anne Frank
Jan 15, 2017 9:05 AM CST
In Nazi Death Camp, a Mysterious Link to Anne Frank
Pendant identical to hers found at Sobibor, believed to belong to girl the same age
- Researchers excavating the remains of one of the most notorious Nazi death camps have uncovered a pendant that appears identical to one belonging to Anne Frank, Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial said Sunday. Yad Vashem says it has ascertained the pendant belonged to Karoline Cohn—a Jewish girl who...
Survivor of Nazi Camps'
Only Mass Escape Has Died
Nov 3, 2015 12:34 PM CST
Survivor of Nazi Camps' Only Mass Escape Has Died
Thomas Blatt worked to ensure Sobibor couldn't be erased
- After an extraordinary life of tragedy and triumph, Holocaust survivor Thomas Blatt passed away at home in Santa Barbara on Saturday, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. He was 88 and suffered dementia. Though 250,000 who arrived at Sobibor concentration camp never left, Blatt was one of 50 Jews to...
Razed Death Camp
Sep 19, 2014 7:27 AM CDT
Gas Chambers Discovered at Razed Death Camp
Sobibor dig also uncovers inscribed wedding ring
- After seven years of searching, archaeologists digging in Poland have found the exact location of the Sobibor death camp's gas chambers. Less had been known about this concentration camp's chambers, which were razed by the Nazis along with the rest of the site following a prisoner uprising in...
'Escape Tunnel' Found
Under Concentration Camp
Jun 14, 2013 10:21 AM CDT
'Escape Tunnel' Found Under Concentration Camp
It ran from barracks under a barbed wire fence at Sobibor
- Archaeologists think they've found the first evidence of prisoners trying to dig their way out of a Nazi death camp. The find comes after more than a decade of excavations at the Sobibor camp in Poland; Nazis leveled the place after its prisoners revolted in 1943, LiveScience explains. In...
Nazi ID Likely a
Apr 13, 2011 8:44 AM CDT
FBI: Demjanjuk's Nazi ID Likely a Soviet Fake
25-year-old report up-ends war crimes trial
- In the midst of closing arguments in John Demjanjuk's Nazi war crimes trial in Munich, a shocking revelation: AP yesterday reported on the existence of a newly declassified FBI report that claims Demjanjuk's Nazi ID card was "quite likely fabricated" by the Soviet Union. Throughout three decades of hearings...
Survivors Weep at
Dec 1, 2009 5:10 PM CST
Survivors Weep at Demjanjuk Trial
Names of Sobibor victims read aloud in court
- Survivors of Nazi concentration camps and relatives of victims shed tears today at the trial of accused guard John Demjanjuk. The plaintiffs heard a partial list of the 27,900 victims of the Sobibor death camp, where the prosecution alleges Demjanjuk worked. The defendant, strapped to a stretcher, held firm...
Demjanjuk Begins Trial
NAZI WAR CRIMES
Nov 30, 2009 1:38 PM CST
Stretcher-Bound Demjanjuk Begins Trial
Defense accuses court of 'double-standard' in prosecution
- Accused Nazi guard John Demjanjuk started his trial for complicity in 27,900 Holocaust murders in Munich today first in a wheelchair, and then on a stretcher. The Red Army POW/Ohio autoworker even forced a halt to proceedings when he flailed and gasped for breath in the courtroom. “It’...
Demjanjuk Farce Is
a Funny Kind of Justice
Oct 18, 2009 5:19 AM CDT
Demjanjuk Farce Is a Funny Kind of Justice
Prosecution seems to be more about German guilt than alleged war criminal's
- The world's eyes will be on alleged Nazi war criminal John Demjanjuk when he stands trial in Germany next month, but this dying old man is a strange candidate to be the last Nazi to be tried, writes Scott Raab. Demjanjuk—regardless of whether he is guilty of serving at...
Demjanjuk Charged With
27,900 Holocaust Deaths
Jul 13, 2009 6:49 AM CDT
Demjanjuk Charged With 27,900 Holocaust Deaths
- German prosecutors formally charged John Demjanjuk today with 27,900 counts of being an accessory to murder at a Nazi death camp during World War II, reports the AP. The 89-year-old retired auto worker, who was deported from the US in May, faces 15 years for every count. Prosecutors accuse...
to Stand Trial, Germany Rules
Jul 3, 2009 8:55 AM CDT
Demjanjuk Fit to Stand Trial, Germany Rules
Accused Nazi death-camp guard, 89, is officially stateless
- John Demjanjuk is physically able to stand trial for his alleged role as an accessory to murder in a Nazi death camp, German officials ruled today. The family of the retired Ohio autoworker, 89, had said ill health made him unfit, but the only condition doctors imposed was a limit...
Leaves Ohio for Germany
May 11, 2009 9:09 PM CDT
Demjanjuk Deported, Leaves Ohio for Germany
- The US has formally deported John Demjanjuk, who left Cleveland for Munich this evening by medical transport plane and should arrive in Germany tomorrow, the
reports. The attorney for the accused Nazi death camp guard said it may be several months before his client is tried on accessory...
Popular on Newser
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
With Laverne, Cindy Williams Skipped Through Milwaukee
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.