Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ban: Beard Trims
Sep 27, 2021 3:52 PM CDT
Taliban's Newest Ban: Beard Trims
Extremist group has barred barbers in Helmand province from shaving, trimming facial hair
- The Taliban have been busy rolling back women's rights in Afghanistan and ramping up for a return to amputations and executions . Now, some more bad news for locals. Per the BBC , the extremist group has banned barbers in the Helmand province from shaving or otherwise trimming men's beards,...
CDC Issues Warning on
Coronavirus, Facial Hair
Feb 27, 2020 2:13 PM CST
CDC Issues Warning on Coronavirus, Facial Hair
Villain mustaches and soul patches are OK; stubble, full beards may interfere with respirator
- Patients' facial hair may affect their safety when it comes to the coronavirus—but it depends on what kind of mustache, beard, or other whiskers you're sporting. CNN reports on a warning from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that centers on how much various types of facial...
Drug Lord Tripped
Up by Beard Contest
Sep 29, 2017 8:16 AM CDT
Alleged Online Drug Lord Tripped Up by Beard Contest
Gal Vallerius nabbed in Atlanta en route to beard competition
- People in trouble with the law often grow a beard, or don a fake one, to avoid notice. In Gal Vallerius' case, his beard is what did him in. Vallerius, who authorities believe is an administrator for a dark web narcotics site, was arrested Aug. 31 at Atlanta's airport...
Ex-'Most Interesting Man'
Picks Most Interesting Beard
Mar 19, 2017 7:31 AM CDT
Ex-'Most Interesting Man' Picks Most Interesting Beard
Jonathan Goldsmith helps with hairy decision in Vermont contest
- The man who once pitched Dos Equis beer as the "most interesting man in the world" turned his attention from his favorite beer to his favorite beard by judging a Saturday competition called Vermont Beardies. Jonathan Goldsmith, who lives in Manchester and sports a closely cropped white beard that...
NYPD Cops Get OK to Sport
Turbans, Beards for Religion
Dec 29, 2016 9:43 AM CST
NYPD Cops Get OK to Sport Turbans, Beards for Religion
Both Sikh and Muslim officers have pushed for policy change
- The NYPD announced Wednesday it has revised policy so that police officers can now sport beards and turbans if called for by their religion, the
New York Times
reports. Per NBC New York , officers must get the green light before showing up for work with either, but once they get...
Browns Finally Get a Win,
Guy Finally Gets to Shave
Dec 25, 2016 11:25 AM CST
Browns Finally Get a Win, Guy Finally Gets to Shave
Weatherman Scott Sabol got pretty hairy as winless season ground on in Cleveland
- Only one NFL team in history has made it through an entire 16-game regular season without a win, a fate narrowly avoided Saturday by the Cleveland Browns with a last-minute win over the San Diego Chargers. That win was extra sweet for Cleveland weatherman Scott Sabol, who was holding out...
ISIS Documents Set Out
Rules for Sex Slaves, Beards
Nov 2, 2016 4:42 AM CDT
ISIS Documents Set Out Rules for Sex Slaves, Beards
Fighters advised to 'enjoy' underage girls
- As ISIS retreats from villages surrounding Mosul, detailed evidence of the group's harsh rule is emerging. In documents discovered by Reuters in recently abandoned ISIS offices near the Iraqi city, the group sets out strict requirements for beard-growing, the proper way of praying—and the treatment of sex slaves....
Aren't as Gross
as You Think
Jul 14, 2016 11:25 AM CDT
Beards Maybe Aren't as Gross as You Think
They're just as hygienic as a clean face: studies
- Go ahead, grow a beard: It's just as hygienic as having a clean face, and possibly more so, according to two recent studies. In stark contrast to earlier research that found beards could be as dirty as toilets , researchers who swabbed the faces of 409 male hospital workers found...
Study: Men With Beards
More Likely to Be Sexist
Nov 28, 2015 4:47 PM CST
Study: Men With Beards More Likely to Be Sexist
Especially in the 'hostile' variety of sexism
- A study published in the
Archives of Sexual Behavior
found men with beards—or any other type of facial hair—were more likely to hold sexist attitudes. Australian researchers gave online surveys to more than 500 men between the ages of 18 and 72 from the US and India, Psychology...
Bearded Swedish Hipsters
Cause 'ISIS Crisis'
Oct 12, 2015 12:48 PM CDT
Bearded Swedish Hipsters Cause 'ISIS Crisis'
A local freaked out when dozens of them gathered
- Sweden's Bearded Villains don't mind if you talk a little smack about hirsute hipsters . In fact, the Scandinavian group—dedicated to fighting "injustice, bullying, and racism," per the Local —"loved" that a local Swede freaked out when a couple dozen of them gathered...
Is a Growing Business
Oct 2, 2015 3:46 AM CDT
Beard-Transplanting Is a Growing Business
You can look like a lumberjack for $7K
- Baby-faced men can now look like lumberjacks thanks to advances in transplant technology, and a growing number of them are choosing to do so. Hair restoration surgeons say over the last decade, beard transplant requests have grown from a few a year to several per month or even per week,...
Makes Him a Star
Jul 29, 2015 11:24 AM CDT
Athlete's Half-Beard Makes Him a Star
Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi rocks a strange look
- One of the biggest names in track at the moment is an Italian high-jumper named Gianmarco Tamberi. And though he's a decent high-jumper, the reason he's making headlines is because he's wearing a half-beard. Tamberi says it's a good-luck charm, reports Quartz , and he did manage...
Beard Swabs Yield
May 4, 2015 7:34 AM CDT
Beard Swabs Yield 'Disturbing' Results
Some were as dirty as toilets, microbiologist says
- Beard hygiene is important unless you want to have the equivalent of a dirty toilet seat growing out of your face, according to a microbiologist who swabbed a bunch of beards and was shocked by the results. "I'm usually not surprised and I was surprised by this,"...
Supreme Court Unanimous
on Inmate Beard Length
Jan 20, 2015 1:41 PM CST
Supreme Court Unanimous on Inmate Beard Length
Arkansas inmate, Gregory Holt, a Muslim, can grow a half-inch beard
- The Supreme Court was unanimous today in a decision that will allow an Arkansas inmate to grow a half-inch beard. The state's rule specified that beard length must be kept to a quarter inch; Gregory Holt, a Muslim man also known as Abdul Maalik Muhammad, had sought permission to...
in case you missed it
Jan 25, 2014 12:11 PM CST
Is Your Beard Racist?
Style's history is pretty tangled, writes Sean Trainor
- These days, beards are big, in all senses of the word. But most of those wearing them probably have little idea of their troubled history in the US—one that is inextricably linked with racism and sexism, writes Sean Trainor in the
. For free black men in the early...
Latest Super PAC to Push
... Bearded Candidates
Apr 5, 2013 1:15 PM CDT
Latest Super PAC to Push ... Bearded Candidates
Those with goatees will be considered; mustache only? Forget it
- At last, a super PAC that can be described as hirsute—it's Bearded Entrepreneurs for the Advancement of a Responsible Democracy, aka BEARD, a political action committee dedicated to advancing bearded candidates. Founded by Jonathan Sessions and Andy Shapero, BEARD is as quirky as you might imagine: A planned...
Feb 8, 2013 3:21 PM CST
Amish Leader in Beard-Cutting Attacks Gets 15 Years
Samuel Mullet, 67, says he isn't running a cult
- The ringleader in a series of hair- and beard-cutting attacks on fellow Amish religious followers in Ohio was sentenced today to 15 years in prison. Before his sentencing, Samuel Mullet Sr., 67, denied being a cult leader but told the judge he was ready to take the punishment. The judge...
FBI Nabs 7
Nov 23, 2011 1:15 PM CST
FBI Nabs 7 in Amish Haircutting Attacks
They face federal hate crimes charges
- FBI agents arrested seven men in Ohio and charged them with federal hate crimes in connection with Amish haircutting attacks , the AP reports. Breakaway Amish sect leader Sam Mullet, four family members, and others were taken into custody after agents raided their compound in Bergholz. The men are charged with...
Beards Are Not
Feb 9, 2010 11:30 AM CST
Beards Are Not Just Back, They're Bushier
Hipsters, not Hollywood-types are at the (not) cutting edge
- Beards are back, big time, and its the boy next door, not Brad Pitt, driving the trend. More young men today are bearded than not, observes Robert Crampton. "The beard is about as back as it’s been since the 19th century," he writes in the
Taliban Shave Beards to Elude Pakistani Troops
May 15, 2009 3:55 PM CDT
Taliban Shave Beards to Elude Pakistani Troops
Fighters get desperate as army routs militants in Swat stronghold
- Frantic Taliban fighters are shaving their notoriously full beards and hair as they flee the Swat valley to escape Pakistan’s military, which says it’s making inroads against the militants, Reuters reports. The military is asking civilians to expose Taliban fighters, but nearly 1 million residents have already escaped....
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
Longest-Living President Celebrates 98th Birthday
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.