Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Roeder Gets Life Sentence in Abortion Slaying
Anti-abortion activist murdered Dr. George Tiller
- An anti-abortion zealot convicted of murdering a prominent Kansas abortion doctor was sentenced today to life in prison and won't be eligible for parole for 50 years—the maximum allowed by law. Scott Roeder, 52, faced a mandatory life prison term for gunning down Dr. George Tiller in the back...
Roeder Guilty of Murder in Abortion Doc Slaying
Jury deliberated only 37 minutes before conviction in George Tiller's death
- A jury in Kansas City convicted Scott Roeder today of first-degree murder in the death of abortion provider Dr. George Tiller. The jury deliberated only 37 minutes. Roeder testified yesterday that he fatally shot Tiller, one of the few late-term abortion providers in the US, to protect unborn children. He...
Defendant Testifies He Killed Abortion Doc
Scott Roeder freely admits to murdering George Tiller
- The man accused of murdering Kansas abortion provider George Tiller took the stand in his own defense today and promptly admitted that he fatally shot Tiller in an attempt to save unborn children. Scott Roeder, who has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder and aggravated assault, was sworn in and...
Judge OKs 'Necessity Defense' in Abort Doc Killing
Critics fear ruling will inspire new attacks
- A Kansas judge has stunned prosecutors by ruling that the confessed killer of abortion doctor George Tiller can argue that the killing was a justified act aimed at saving unborn children. Prosecutors had fought to keep the abortion issue out of Scott Roeder's trial. Abortion rights advocates fear the ruling...
Judge Mulls 'Necessity Defense' in Doc Killing
Roeder claims he had to kill abortion physician to save fetuses
- A Kansas judge will begin hearing motions today about whether or not to allow the killer of an abortion doctor to present a "neccesity defense," claiming that it was necessary to kill the physician to save fetuses. Scott Roeder, 51, has admitting gunning down Dr. George Tiller last...
Suspect Admits Shooting Abortion Doctor
'Pre-born children's lives were in imminent danger,' Roeder says
- The man accused of shooting a Kansas abortion provider has confessed to the killing and says he has no regrets. "Because of the fact pre-born children's lives were in imminent danger, this was the action I chose," Scott Roeder said in an interview with the AP . The 51-year-old...
Accused Killer of Abortion Doc Wrestles With Pro-Life Group
Operation Rescue denies donations
- The Kansas City man accused of gunning down an abortion provider is upset over his rocky relationship with a major pro-life group, the
Kansas City Star
reports. In a jailhouse interview, Scott Roeder said he has donated thousands of dollars to Operation Rescue—which denies the donations, denounces Roeder, and...
Two Killers Eluded FBI Hunt for 'Lone Wolves'
- The shootings of George Tiller and a National Holocaust Museum guard came despite a renewed FBI effort to preempt solo acts of political violence, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Identifying such extremists—while respecting their civil rights—is a challenge. Both James von Brunn and Scott Roeder expressed their views...
Doctor Will Do Late-Term Abortions in Kansas
Neb. physician will fill role of murdered Tiller
- A Nebraska doctor said today he will perform third-term abortions in Kansas after the slaying of abortion provider George Tiller, even though Tiller's clinic is closed. Dr. LeRoy Carhart declined to discuss details of his decision, which he made public a day after Tiller's family announced his Wichita clinic was...
Shooting Suspect: Closing of Abortion Clinic a 'Victory'
- The man accused of murdering abortion provider George Tiller told CNN today that he considers it a “victory” that Tiller’s family will shut his Kansas clinic. The closure means “no more slicing and dicing of the unborn child,” Scott Roeder said in an interview. He did...
More Violence Looms, Warns Suspect in Tiller Slaying
'Many other similar events planned'
- The man charged in the shooting death of abortion provider Dr. George Tiller warned today that more violence is possible. Scott Roeder, being held on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated assault in Tiller's killing one week ago, called the AP from jail. "I know there are many other...
Feds to Probe Murder of Abortion Doc
Suspect may have broken 1994 law regulating clinic access
- Federal investigators have opened a probe into the murder of abortion provider George Tiller, the AP reports. The Justice Department’s civil rights division will decide if Scott Roeder violated a federal law imposing criminal penalties for harmful conduct against abortion providers and patients. In a brief jailhouse phone interview,...
Suspect in Abortion Slaying Charged With Murder
- The suspect in Sunday's shooting death of Dr. George Tiller was charged today with first-degree murder. Scott Roeder, 51, made a brief appearance in a Kansas court via video link from jail. "OK," he responded when Judge Ben Burgess read the charges in the slaying of the abortion...
Feds Boost Abortion Clinic Security Amid Tiller Probe
FBI checks earlier vandalism incident
- US Attorney General Eric Holder boosted security for abortion providers yesterday as the FBI investigated a vandalism incident at the clinic operated by slain doctor George Tiller, the
reports. Tiller reported a threat last month, days after the Women’s Health Care Services clinic sustained thousands of dollars...
'Everyone' Thought Tiller Suspect Was Crazy: Ex-Wife
- The ex-wife of the man suspected in yesterday’s fatal shooting of a Kansas abortion doctor says Scott Roeder underwent a mental evaluation and that, though he didn’t consider himself unstable, “everyone else did.” Lindsey Roeder says Scott’s views on abortion were so fierce she stopped...
Popular on Newser
NHL Team Drops Prospect Over His Actions as a Teen
Kanye's Birthday Gift to Kim: a 'Special Surprise From Heaven'
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Cop in Breonna Taylor Shooting Sues Her Boyfriend
Inmate 77827-112 Starts Her Sentence Early
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.