Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
I Don't Want
My Kids to See
Sep 10, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
Anderson Cooper: I Don't Want My Kids to See My Sadness
CNN host dives deep into his personal losses and grief in interview with 'New York Times'
- If anyone understands grief, it's Anderson Cooper. The 56-year-old CNN anchor lost his father, Wyatt, when he was 10 to a heart attack, then his older brother, Carter, to suicide when they were both in their 20s. His mother, Gloria Vanderbilt, died in 2019 at the age of 95....
Phone in the
Ease Your Grief
Jun 17, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
That Rotary Phone in the Forest Can Ease Your Grief
After Army vet created a 'wind phone' for a local park, they're now popping up everywhere
- At the end of 2020, Corey Dembeck heard the awful news that the 4-year-old daughter of a friend had suddenly died after a bout with strep led to sepsis. The US Army veteran and former photojournalist wanted to do something immediate for the family of little Joelle Sylvester, so he...
Lisa Marie Presley:
After Son's Death, I
Became a Sort of 'Pariah'
Sep 1, 2022 2:20 AM CDT
Lisa Marie Presley: After Son's Death, I Became a Sort of 'Pariah'
She pens essay for National Grief Awareness Day
- More than two years after his death by suicide at age 27 , Lisa Marie Presley is remembering her son Benjamin Keough in an essay for National Grief Awareness Day published this week by
. "I already battle with and beat myself up tirelessly and chronically, blaming myself every single...
Exhibit: Mrs. Lincoln's
Was Due to Grief
May 3, 2021 9:05 AM CDT
Exhibit: Mrs. Lincoln's 'Erratic' Behavior Was Due to Grief
She wasn't insane, just feeling deep loss of her husband, 3 children, per exhibit at Lincoln museum
- After Abraham Lincoln's assassination in April 1865, his wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, descended into a cycle of what History.com calls "erratic" behavior, complete with "unearthly shrieks" and "terrible convulsions." This behavior, considered an improper attention-grab at the time for women of her stature, led...
NZ OKs Paid Leave for Parents
Grieving 'Strange, Secret Birth'
Mar 25, 2021 6:23 AM CDT
NZ OKs Paid Leave for Parents Grieving 'Strange, Secret Birth'
Kiwis approve legislation that gives couples 3 days off to deal with loss after miscarriage or stillbirth
- "A miscarriage is a strange, secret birth that is also a death," wrote Kathryn van Beek in 2018 after suffering her own. That's why the New Zealand author is celebrating this week after her country's Parliament gave the green light to legislation that will offer three...
Some Days 'I Feel
Like I Can't Survive'
Mar 3, 2021 11:15 AM CST
Vanessa Bryant: Some Days 'I Feel Like I Can't Survive'
But 'Kobe and Gigi motivate me to keep going'
- There are some days when Vanessa Bryant's "unimaginable" grief brings her to her knees. Almost 14 months after her husband, Kobe Bryant, and 13-year-old daughter, Gianna (Gigi), were killed in a helicopter crash near Los Angeles, "I can't say that I'm strong every day. I...
Chrissy Teigen Update Goes
Wildly Viral in One Hour
Dec 24, 2020 5:54 AM CST
Chrissy Teigen Update Goes Wildly Viral in One Hour
Model shares the complex feelings she's still wrangling with after miscarriage in the fall
- When Chrissy Teigen lost her baby Jack earlier this fall due to pregnancy complications, she penned a heart-wrenching essay sharing her grief. Two months later, she has an update, and it's one that racked up a million likes in just one hour,
reports. Teigen's Wednesday post on...
Markle Makes Devastating
Reveal, Finds 'Path to Healing'
Nov 25, 2020 6:29 AM CST
Markle Makes Devastating Reveal, Finds 'Path to Healing'
3 words she said to Harry after miscarriage in July are words we should all say now: 'Are you OK?'
- Last year, when Meghan Markle was a new mom plagued by exhaustion, a journalist's simple question served as a surprise salve: "Are you OK?" In an opinion piece in the
New York Times
, the Duchess of Sussex says those three words are what she said to her own...
The World Reacts:
'There's No Words
to Express the Pain'
Jan 26, 2020 5:15 PM CST
The World Reacts: 'There's No Words to Express the Pain'
Shaquille O'Neal and Ava DuVernay are among those grieving Kobe Bryant's Death
- Kobe Bryant's tragic death Sunday has triggered an outpouring of grief from the "sports world and beyond," the
reports. Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, were among nine who perished when the NBA legend's private helicopter sputtered and crashed in the hills of...
A 'Gut-Wrenching' Mother's
Grief in the Puget Sound
Jul 27, 2018 12:45 PM CDT
A 'Gut-Wrenching' Mother's Grief in the Puget Sound
Orca won't let go of her calf, who died shortly after being born Tuesday off the Washington coast
- What's being described as a "gut-wrenching" scene is playing out in Puget Sound, and it's been going on for at least three days. The
reports on J35, an orca who gave birth on Tuesday only to witness her calf die 30 minutes later—and she'...
Oldest Manatee Dies
in Aquarium Accident
a Day After Turning 69
Jul 24, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
Oldest Manatee Dies in Aquarium Accident a Day After Turning 69
The 1.3K-pound Snooty's death is under investigation at Florida aquarium
- In an unfolding story still under investigation, the world's oldest known manatee was found dead in a submerged cage on Sunday, the morning after his 69th birthday. Snooty, who's lived in the South Florida Museum for 68 of his 69 years, was found stuck in a maintenance hatch...
Getting Fired Can Be Harder
Than Losing a Spouse
Apr 30, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Getting Fired Can Be Harder Than Losing a Spouse
Unemployment is a blip on the record that doesn't go away
- Here's something you might not want to forward to your significant other: You're likely to recover from losing him or her faster than you would recover from losing your job. So say researchers at the University of East Anglia and the What Works Center for Wellbeing in the...
New Book a
Apr 24, 2017 3:40 PM CDT
Sheryl Sandberg's New Book a 'Remarkable Achievement'
Facebook COO's tome on handling grief, finding joy after huge loss strikes chord
- Sheryl Sandberg credits Mark Zuckerberg with helping her survive after husband Dave Goldberg's death in 2015 from a heart attack, a fact she recently revealed in an interview to promote her new book ,
Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
, released Monday by Knopf. Now that the...
Apr 15, 2017 12:55 PM CDT
Sheryl Sandberg: Mark Zuckerberg Is Reason 'I'm Walking'
She says the Facebook founder saved her life after her husband's death
- Sheryl Sandberg says Mark Zuckerberg is the reason "why I'm walking," crediting the Facebook founder with saving her life following the death of her husband in an interview with the
. Sandberg, Facebook's chief operating officer, lost husband Dave Goldberg to a heart attack in 2015....
A Therapy That Helps Get
Never-Ending Grievers 'Unstuck'
Nov 17, 2016 4:40 PM CST
A Therapy That Helps Get Never-Ending Grievers 'Unstuck'
Some people can't stop feeling sorrow; this psychiatrist has therapy just for 'complicated grief'
- The grieving process is never a simple one, but for some, it becomes never-ending and debilitating—what psychiatrists call "complicated grief." Andrea Volpe delves for Digg into this more emotionally intense form of bereavement: a deep, unceasing sorrow affecting no more than 3% of the population, overtaking women...
Grief Over My
'Is an Ambush'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 30, 2016 8:37 AM CDT
Patton Oswalt: Grief Over My Wife's Death 'Is an Ambush'
Comedian offers heartbreaking glimpse into life after wife's sudden death: 'NYT'
- Patton Oswalt says the April day his wife, Michelle McNamara, died was the second worst day of his life. The worst? "When I told my daughter the next day." Now, six months after McNamara's death, the comedian offers a devastatingly honest glimpse to the
New York Times
QB Doug Flutie's Parents
Die an Hour Apart
Nov 19, 2015 4:35 AM CST
QB Doug Flutie's Parents Die an Hour Apart
'They say you can die of a broken heart,' he says
- "They say you can die of a broken heart and I believe it," football great Doug Flutie said in a Facebook post on Wednesday after his mother and father died within an hour of each other after 56 years of marriage. The 53-year-old Heisman Trophy winner says his...
What I Learned
in 30 Days of
Jun 3, 2015 11:49 AM CDT
Sheryl Sandberg: What I Learned in 30 Days of Mourning
Facebook COO lays bare her experience
- Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg today marks the end of sheloshim—a 30-day period of religious mourning—for her "beloved husband" with an honest and moving post on Facebook . In its nearly 1,750 words, she touches on many aspects of the grief she has felt since Dave Goldberg died...
Joe Biden Has
May 31, 2015 2:10 PM CDT
Joe Biden Has Grieved Before; Here's What He Said
Biden spoke about the loss of his daughter and first wife
- Joe Biden's 13-month-old daughter and first wife died in a car accident in 1972. Now, with the death of his eldest son Beau at age 46, Biden's own words about the grieving process seem worth recalling. In 2012, he spoke to the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors—people...
Grieving Pilot Survives
Suicide Try Without a Scratch
Feb 4, 2015 8:32 AM CST
Grieving Pilot Survives Suicide Try Without a Scratch
He says his dead son's voice guided him to his cellphone
- Two years after Mark Darling of Eaton, Colo., lost his young adult son in a car accident, the grieving pilot, who's flown his whole life but hasn't had a license in years, took his Cessna 172F high-wing airplane for one last ride over Rocky Mountain National Park, reports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.