Kobe Bryant's tragic death Sunday has triggered an outpouring of grief from the "sports world and beyond," the LA Times reports. Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, were among nine who perished when the NBA legend's private helicopter sputtered and crashed in the hills of Calabasas, Calif. For many, it was a hammer blow. Among reactions rounded up by the Times, CBC News, and Business Insider:
- Shaquille O'Neal: "There's no words to express the pain Im going through with this tragedy of loosing my neice Gigi & my brother @kobebryant I love u and u will be missed. My condolences goes out to the Bryant family and the families of the other passengers on board. IM SICK RIGHT NOW."
- Dwyane Wade: "Nooooooooooo God please No!"
- Steve Nash: "My heart is broken for Kobe and his family. I'll never forget the battles but what I really admired was the father he was to his girls. Rest In Peace old friend with your angel Gianna."
- Barack Obama: "Kobe was a legend on the court and just getting started in what would have been just as meaningful a second act. To lose Gianna is even more heartbreaking to us as parents. Michelle and I send love and prayers to Vanessa and the entire Bryant family on an unthinkable day."
- Earvin "Magic" Johnson: "As I try to write this post, my mind is racing. I'm in disbelief and have been crying all morning over this devastating news that Kobe and his young daughter, Gigi have passed away in a helicopter crash. Cookie and I are heartbroken."
- Michael Jordan: "Words can't describe the pain I'm feeling. I loved Kobe—he was like a little brother to me. We used to talk often, and I will miss those conversations very much."
- Justin Bieber: "You always encouraged me mamba. Gave me some of the best quotes that we smile about to this day! Love you man!"
- President Trump: "Reports are that basketball great Kobe Bryant ... [has] been killed in a helicopter crash in California. That is terrible news!"
- Ava DuVernay: "I remember Kobe bringing his daughters to the WRINKLE IN TIME premiere and talking about its meaning for him as a father. He loved his girls so. LA weeps today, as do fans around the world."
- Drake: "It can't be."
(Read more Kobe Bryant