Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Year's Heisman Winner
Is a Transfer Quarterback
Dec 10, 2023 12:01 AM CST
This Year's Heisman Winner Is a Transfer Quarterback
LSU's Jayden Daniels wins even though his team left the playoff race early
- LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels overcame being outside the college football playoff race with a prolific season that Heisman Trophy voters could not ignore. Daniels won the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night, becoming the first player since 2016 to win college football's most prestigious player of the year award as...
Reggie Bush Plans to Sue NCAA
Over 'Pay-for-Play' Remark
Aug 24, 2023 7:49 AM CDT
Reggie Bush Plans to Sue NCAA Over 'Pay-for-Play' Remark
Former USC star wants his Heisman Trophy back
- Former Southern California running back Reggie Bush plans to file a defamation lawsuit against the NCAA over a statement made by college sports' governing body about the reasoning for its decision not to restore the Heisman Trophy winner's records. Bush and his attorneys at McCathern PLLC announced the lawsuit...
Is This Year's
Dec 11, 2022 5:35 AM CST
A Sophomore Is This Year's Heisman Winner
USC quarterback Caleb Williams takes the honor
- Caleb Williams brought sizzle, excitement, and star power back to Southern California football, per the AP . And now the Heisman Trophy, too. Williams, the dynamic quarterback who was the catalyst for the Trojans’ turnaround season, won the Heisman on Saturday night to make USC the first school to take home...
Was a Rout
Dec 11, 2021 9:32 PM CST
This Year's Heisman Race Was a Rout
Alabama quarterback Bryce Young wins easily
- Bryce Young didn't just meet the standard set by the star quarterbacks who preceded him at Alabama, he exceeded it. Young became the first Crimson Tide quarterback to win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night, making Alabama the fifth school with consecutive winners of college football's most prestigious...
Reggie Bush Wants His
Heisman Trophy Back
Jul 2, 2021 10:12 AM CDT
Reggie Bush Wants His Heisman Trophy Back
'I never cheated this game,' former USC player says
- "I never cheated this game. That was what they wanted you to believe about me," Reggie Bush tweeted Thursday, calling for the return of the 2005 Heisman Trophy he forfeited for receiving improper benefits at USC. Bush handed back the trophy in 2010 and his college football statistics...
Is First of Its
Kind in Decades
Jan 6, 2021 12:59 AM CST
Heisman Trophy Win Is First of Its Kind in Decades
DeVonta Smith is just the 4th wide receiver ever to win
- On an Alabama team stacked with stars, DeVonta Smith emerged as the best player in college football while playing a position that rarely gets that kind of recognition. Smith became the first wide receiver to win the Heisman Trophy in 29 seasons Tuesday night, breaking the monopoly quarterbacks have had...
Ohio Food Bank
After Heisman Speech
Dec 17, 2019 8:21 AM CST
Donations Flood Ohio Food Bank After Heisman Speech
Joe Burrow mentioned kids going hungry in his native Athens
- Louisiana State University quarterback Joe Burrow may be a Heisman Trophy winner, but he hasn't forgotten his roots. The "kid from Ohio, come down to the Bayou" took time out of his Saturday acceptance speech in New York City to mention food insecurity in his native Athens. "...
Newest Heisman Winner
Wins in Record Landslide Vote
Dec 15, 2019 1:03 AM CST
Newest Heisman Winner Wins in Record Landslide Vote
LSU QB Joe Burrow led his team to an undefeated season
- Born into a family of Cornhuskers and raised in the Buckeye state, Joe Burrow left his roots behind and became a Heisman Trophy winner at LSU. The quarterback won the Heisman on Saturday night in a record-breaking landslide, reports the AP , becoming the first LSU player to bring college football'...
Dec 1, 2019 4:05 PM CST
Beloved College Football Figure Is Gone
Pat Sullivan 'died peacefully at home' at age 69
- Pat Sullivan, a revered figure in Alabama sports, died Sunday at age 69. The Heisman Trophy winner had a varied career but was best known for his years as a college football quarterback and coach—and his optimism in the face of cancer, 247 Sports recalls. "I was blessed,...
Heisman Winner Plans
to Turn Pro—in Different Sport
Dec 9, 2018 5:55 AM CST
Heisman Winner Plans to Turn Pro—in Different Sport
Kyler Murray will be at spring training for the Oakland A's
- Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray won the Heisman Trophy Saturday after a stellar year: 4,053 yards, 40 touchdowns, a 12-1 record, and a playoff berth for the Sooners. But maybe the most remarkable nugget of all: He was drafted by baseball's Oakland A's earlier this year—he went...
A Walk-on Wins
Dec 10, 2017 12:03 AM CST
A Walk-on Wins the Heisman
Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield wins one of more lopsided votes
- Baker Mayfield took a unique road to the Heisman Trophy, a long and winding climb from walk-on to one of the most accomplished players to ever play college football. The brash, flag-planting Oklahoma quarterback became the sixth Sooner to the win Heisman on Saturday night in one of the most...
Dec 10, 2016 9:07 PM CST
A Sophomore QB Wins the Heisman, Easily
Lousiville's Lamar Jackson gets the honors
- Lamar Jackson leapt over a loaded field of Heisman Trophy contenders early in the season and by the time he slowed down nobody could catch him. The sensational sophomore quarterback became the first Louisville player to win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday night, beating out preseason favorite Deshaun Watson of...
Heisman Winner Found
Dead in Colorado Park
Dec 6, 2016 5:20 PM CST
Heisman Winner Found Dead in Colorado Park
A cause of death has not been given for Rashaan Salaam
- Heisman Trophy winner Rashaan Salaam was found dead Monday night in a Boulder park less than two miles from Folsom Field, where he carved his name into the University of Colorado record books as one of the greatest players in the program's history, the AP reports. The Boulder County...
A Heisman Shift:
Running Back Wins It
Dec 12, 2015 8:52 PM CST
A Heisman Shift: Running Back Wins It
Alabama's Derrick Henry takes honor, busting string of QBs
- Derrick Henry has won the Heisman Trophy, becoming just the third running back to take college football's top honor in the past 16 years. The 6-foot-3, 242-pound Henry broke Herschel Walker's Southeastern Conference record with 1,986 yards rushing and matched an SEC mark with 23 touchdowns, leading...
Stolen OJ Simpson Heisman Found, 20 Years Later
Jan 7, 2015 9:44 AM CST
Stolen OJ Simpson Heisman Found, 20 Years Later
USC's copy of the trophy was stolen in 1994
- A Heisman Trophy that OJ Simpson won in 1968 has been recovered more than 20 years after it was stolen in a burglary at the University of Southern California, police said last night. The trophy and a Simpson jersey were stolen in a burglary at Heritage Hall, home to USC'...
Dec 14, 2014 6:01 AM CST
Oregon's Mariota Wins Heisman
Junior QB Marcus Mariota was pretty much a foregone conclusion
- Oregon State quarterback Marcus Mariota collected the Heisman Trophy last night in something of both a landslide and a foregone conclusion: The junior, who ESPN describes as "a pinpoint passer with wide receiver speed," racked up the second-highest percentage of votes ever with nearly 91%—obliterating runner-up Melvin...
Apr 30, 2014 6:47 PM CDT
Heisman Winner Accused of Shoplifting Seafood
FSU's Jameis Winston says he forgot to pay
- Florida State's Jameis Winston became the youngest-ever winner of the Heisman last year, but the 20-year-old has headlines of a different sort to contend with today. Police say the 20-year-old walked off with $32 worth of crab legs and crawfish from a Tallahassee supermarket, reports CNN . A store employee...
Jameis Winston Is Youngest
Ever Heisman Winner
Dec 14, 2013 8:38 PM CST
Jameis Winston Is Youngest Ever Heisman Winner
19-year-old Florida State freshman gets honor
- It's another freshman, and it wasn't even close: Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston has won the Heisman Trophy as college football's best player. Winston became the second straight player to win the award in his first year of college, following Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel last...
Wins Top Honor
Dec 8, 2012 8:14 PM CST
Heisman History: First Freshman Wins Top Honor
Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel takes trophy
- Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has won the Heisman Trophy, becoming the first freshman to win college football's most prized individual award. The redshirt freshman beat out Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o and Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein. A few days after turning 20, Manziel became the...
Freshman Heisman Winner?
Dec 8, 2012 1:54 PM CST
Freshman Heisman Winner? Maybe Tonight
Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel might make history
- A little history might be made at tonight's Heisman Trophy presentation, with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the running to be the first freshman to get college football's top honor. There's a reason the 20-year-old is called "Johnny Football," as his stats prove:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.