Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Liberals, Your 'Hero Worship'
of Judges, Others May Backfire
Aug 14, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Liberals, Your 'Hero Worship' of Judges, Others May Backfire
At Politico, Michael Schaffer argues progressives are hurting their own cause in regard to Trump
- Welcome to the state of politics in 2023: You can now buy T-shirts and coffee mugs celebrating the judge in Donald Trump's federal election-interference case. And as Michael Schaffer points out in an opinion piece at
, Judge Tanya Chutkan is far from the only Trump-related public figure...
Media Groups Demand
Jan. 6 Footage
Feb 25, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Media Groups Demand Jan. 6 Footage
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy gave Fox's Tucker Carlson exclusive access; now others want it
- Fox News' Tucker Carlson is the only media personality given access by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to thousands of hours of Jan. 6 footage. Now, other media groups are demanding a piece of that, they noted in a Friday letter to congressional leadership, per CBS News . "Without full public...
The Mouse Infestation at
FDA HQ Is Sort of Normal
Apr 12, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
The Mouse Infestation at FDA HQ Is Sort of Normal
It turns out mice, other critters are common around White Oak, but pandemic didn't help
- It could happen in any office building from which staff made hasty, "temporary" departures at the start of the pandemic. One week rolled into the next, and the workers did not return, but all those snacks around their offices remained. Local rodents took notice, apparently, at the FDA's...
Feb 21, 2022 4:32 PM CST
Presidents Day Should Be History
Mythologizing past leaders doesn't seem to fit a democracy, John Harris writes
- The reconsidering of US history, especially its leaders, has made Presidents Day a little awkward. Woodrow Wilson, for example, was ranked highly by historians until his racial views received more attention recently; he's now largely disappeared from such conversations. Wilson isn't the only one who benefited from the...
German Publisher Reaches
Agreement to Buy Politico
Aug 26, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
German Publisher Reaches Agreement to Buy Politico
Protocol is included in the $1B deal
- Germany publishing company Axel Springer said Thursday that it has signed a deal to buy US-based Politico and the tech news site Protocol from founder Robert Allbritton. Axel Springer already owns US properties including the online media company Insider and the business-oriented Morning Brew. Under the deal, the German publisher...
Skeptic Lays Out 3 Reasons
Why Trump 2024 Is Doomed
Dec 10, 2020 5:15 PM CST
Skeptic Lays Out 3 Reasons Why Trump 2024 Is Doomed
Personality-based politicians have always faded, writes John F. Harris at Politico
- President Trump and his supporters are making noises about a run in 2024, but John F. Harris predicts in a column at Politico that it's not going to happen. In fact, he thinks Trump's influence will fade pretty quickly once he's out of office. "Outsized outsiders...
The Public Is
Feb 19, 2020 10:45 AM CST
The Public Is Behind Trump on Blagojevich
Lots of people thought 14 years was excessive, writes Natasha Korecki
- The backlash was swift Tuesday as President Trump commuted Rod Blagojevich's 14-year prison sentence for political corruption. But Politico reporter Natasha Korecki argues the move "isn't crazy." In a Tuesday op-ed, Korecki—who wrote about Blagojevich's case for the
and in a subsequent...
Tucker Carlson Boycott
Is Dumb and Dangerous
Dec 20, 2018 9:20 AM CST
Tucker Carlson Boycott Is Dumb and Dangerous
Media writer Jack Shafer doesn't want fickle companies having a say in coverage
- Big advertisers keep pulling out of Tucker Carlson's show on Fox News over his comments that immigrants make the nation "poorer" and "dirtier." Media writer Jack Shafer is no fan of Carlson and his "retrograde views on race, minorities, gays, and women," but he'...
Willing' to Shut
Gov't Over Border
Nov 28, 2018 8:35 AM CST
Trump 'Totally Willing' to Shut Gov't Over Border Wall Funding
President and the Dems aren't even close on the $5B figure he's throwing out there
- President Trump said last Thursday he'd be OK with a government shutdown if he doesn't get the funding he wants on the US-Mexico border wall, and several days later, he hasn't changed his mind. With just over a week before Congress' Dec. 7 deadline to finish up...
What Her Love of Trump
Has Cost Her: Her Grandson
Oct 4, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
What Her Love of Trump Has Cost Her: Her Grandson
Ben Bradlee Jr. profiles Trump super-fan Lynette Villano
- When Ben Bradlee Jr. refers to "Mrs. Trump," he's not talking about Melania. Rather, it's a nickname that was bestowed upon Lynette Villano, 72, a die-hard Trump supporter living in Luzerne County, Pa. In a lengthy excerpt of
published by Politico , Bradlee explains that...
Ex-WH Aide: Trump's
Jun 11, 2018 8:02 AM CDT
Ex-WH Aide: Trump's Paper-Ripping Habit 'Craziest Thing Ever'
Aides were tasked with taping shredded documents back together
- President Trump's "odd and enduring habit" of ripping paperwork to shreds when he's done with it has spawned a Politico report that's raising some eyebrows over a strange job apparently given to White House staffers. Solomon Lartey and Reginald Young Jr., two former White House aides...
Democrats Have Little Hope
of Taking Senate Now
May 10, 2018 11:41 AM CDT
Democrats Have Little Hope of Taking Senate Now
Don Blankenship's loss makes that clear, according to Politico analysis
- Tuesday's primary results brought a dose of reality to Democrats: They have little or no chance of taking control of the Senate next year, writes Charlie Mahtesian at Politico . Democrats' hopes were raised briefly by the prospect of once-imprisoned coal executive Don Blankenship winning the GOP nomination in West...
In Pacific NW, an 'Intensifying
Guerilla Warfare' Over Bitcoin
Mar 9, 2018 3:03 PM CST
In Pacific NW, an 'Intensifying Guerilla Warfare' Over Bitcoin
Mid-Columbia Basin's space, hydroelectric power has made it top site for bitcoin mining in US
- You'd think any old region would do for a bitcoin mining business : Just set up a computer, solve a bunch of sophisticated math puzzles, and start raking in that sweet virtual currency. But as Paul Roberts' deep dive on Politico notes, that kind of computer power can require "...
Editor Resigns After Posting
White Supremacist's Addresses
Nov 22, 2016 6:04 PM CST
Editor Resigns After Posting White Supremacist's Addresses
Politico's Michael Hirsh encouraged people to put the addresses to use
- Michael Hirsh, the national editor of Politico Magazine, resigned Tuesday, hours after publishing the home addresses of a white nationalist leader, CNN reports. "Stop whining about Richard B. Spencer, Nazi, and exercise your rights as decent Americans. Here are his two addresses..." Hirsh posted on Facebook. Spencer is...
Jan 29, 2016 7:08 AM CST
Big Media Surprise: Politico Losing Huge Names
Including CEO/co-founder Jim VandeHei, Politico Playbook journo Mike Allen
- In a surprise announcement that its owner says "[makes] perfect sense for the publication," one of the co-founders of Politico, as well as perhaps its most prominent journalist, will be leaving the publication, the
New York Times
reports. CEO Jim VandeHei, who helped launch the site in 2007,...
Aug 11, 2013 3:24 PM CDT
How Politico Destroyed the
Ross Douthat: For the WaPo to thrive again, Jeff Bezos must defeat Politico
coulda been a contender. Though the Internet has killed off and worn down many legacy media mastheads, it has allowed others to position themselves as new brands for specific national audiences, writes Ross Douthat in the
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
has a clear...
Paul Ryan Doesn't Call
Romney 'the Stench'
Sep 26, 2012 6:44 PM CDT
Paul Ryan Doesn't Call Romney 'the Stench'
Joke column sets off a media mess
- The most-talked-about political story today ended up being the story
a story. If you heard references to the "stench" today, here's the tale:
Politico columnist Roger Simon wrote a piece about Romney-Ryan with this line: (Ryan) "has been marching around his campaign bus, saying things like,
Politico Yanks Reporter
Over His Todd Akin Defense
Aug 21, 2012 1:22 AM CDT
Politico Yanks Reporter Over His Todd Akin Defense
Can some agree not all reported rapes are rapes, asks Catanese
- Politico has yanked a reporter off coverage of controversial Missouri Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin after the writer defended the congressman's comments about "legitimate rape" victims, reports the
. Akin claimed—then apologized for his comments—that some mysterious biological mechanism stops "legitimate rape" victims from...
FBI Probed GOP
in Galilee Sea
Aug 20, 2012 4:11 AM CDT
FBI Probed GOP Skinny-Dipping in Galilee Sea
Congressmen's 'fact-finding mission' took a boozy turn
- At least one GOP congressman who couldn't walk on water decided to go skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee instead. A group of Republican congressmen, aides, and family members boozed it up and cooled off in the water—one of them nude—during an official fact-finding trip to the...
Jun 22, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
Politico Reporter Suspended Over Romney 'White Folks' Dig
Joe Williams implies Mitt 'awkward' around non-whites
- Politico has suspended White House correspondent Joe Williams following his implication that Mitt Romney is only at ease among "white folks." Williams told Martin Bashir on MSNBC yesterday that Romney is "very, very comfortable ... with people who are like him," Thus he can be "awkward"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.