Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Robert E. Lee
Stories 1 - 20 |
Robert E. Lee Statue
Meets Its Fate
Oct 26, 2023 6:50 PM CDT
Robert E. Lee Statue Meets Its Fate
Monument formerly in Charlottesville is destroyed in relatively secret fashion
- A statue of Robert E. Lee that stoked much controversy in Charlottesville, Virginia , is no longer a statue. As the
and NPR reveal, the monument to the Confederate general has been melted down. The plan now is for the resulting bronze ingots to be turned into an as-yet...
National Cathedral Replaces
Images of Robert E. Lee
Sep 23, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
National Cathedral Replaces Images of Robert E. Lee
Dedication ceremony christens racial justice theme in stained-glass windows
- The landmark Washington National Cathedral unveiled new stained-glass windows Saturday with a theme of racial justice, filling the space that had once held four windows honoring Confederate Gens. Robert E. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. The new windows depict a march for justice by African Americans, descendants of the...
West Point to
Yank Robert E. Lee
Dec 25, 2022 8:45 AM CST
West Point to Yank Robert E. Lee
Portrait, bust will quietly be put in storage
- Robert E. Lee was a noted West Point alumnus and served as its superintendent before he commanded the Confederate army during the Civil War, but his alma mater is using the current holiday break to scrub itself of his presence. As the Hill reports, the United States Military Academy is...
Books, Ammo Found in
Lee Statue Time Capsule
Dec 28, 2021 7:12 PM CST
Books, Ammo Found in Lee Statue Time Capsule
This one was the right box, experts say
: Dozens of Civil War-era artifacts were recovered Tuesday from an 1887 time capsule found in a pedestal that once held a statue of Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Virginia. Conservators say they recovered books, buttons, Confederate money, and Minie balls, a type of ammunition, from the copper box, the...
With Removal of Statue
Comes Rare Find
Dec 23, 2021 1:29 AM CST
With Removal of Statue Comes Rare Find
Crews working to take down a Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond discovered a time capsule
Inside the base of a Robert E. Lee statue recently taken down in Richmond, Virginia, were books and other texts, a coin, and an envelope. Conservators chipped the time capsule out of the granite box Tuesday, and preservationists unsealed it Wednesday, NPR reports. Inside, they found just a fraction...
Charlottesville Makes a Call
on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Dec 8, 2021 7:27 AM CST
Charlottesville Makes a Call on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Monument will be melted down to be made into arts project by local nonprofit
- It hasn't been clear what would happen to Charlottesville's Robert E. Lee statue, after it was hoisted off its stone pedestal in July, but the City Council has now made its decision: A local Black-led nonprofit will melt down the controversial Confederate monument and turn it into a...
Search for Time Capsule
in Lee Statue Is a Bust
Sep 10, 2021 1:17 PM CDT
Search for Time Capsule in Lee Statue Is a Bust
Crews in Richmond found no sign of the items from 1887
They couldn't find it. Workers who dismantled the giant Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, Va., struck out Thursday in their search for a time capsule thought to have been tucked into the pedestal more than a century ago, reports the
. It's possible, though unlikely,...
In on Fallen
Sep 9, 2021 1:19 AM CDT
Trump Weighs In on Fallen Lee Statue
'Our culture is being destroyed'
- As one might imagine, former President Trump was not pleased with Virginia's removal of a Robert E. Lee statue Wednesday. "To add insult to injury, those who support this ‘taking’ now plan to cut it into three pieces, and throw this work of art into storage prior...
One of Our Largest Remaining
Statues to Confederacy Falls
Sep 8, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
One of Our Largest Remaining Statues to Confederacy Falls
Robert E. Lee removed from pedestal on which he stood in Richmond, Va.
A statue of Robert E. Lee that stood in Richmond, Va., for 131 years has come down. The
reports it was hoisted off its pedestal to cheers at 8:55am. The AP , which calls it one of America’s largest remaining monuments to the Confederacy, reports it will...
As the Statue Came Down
in Charlottesville, Cheers
Jul 10, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
As the Statue Came Down in Charlottesville, Cheers
Monument to Robert E. Lee is removed from pedestal in Va. park
- A Confederate monument that helped spark a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., has been hoisted off its stone pedestal. Work to remove the statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee began early Saturday morning. Crews were also expected to take down a second Confederate monument for Lt. Gen. Thomas...
Jul 9, 2021 2:26 PM CDT
Statue That Sparked Violence in Charlottesville Coming Down
City removing tributes to Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson
- A Confederate monument that helped spark a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, will be taken down this weekend. The city said in a news release that the equestrian statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee as well as a nearby one of Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson...
Pressure Builds for Answers
on Confederate Carving
Jun 21, 2021 7:35 PM CDT
Pressure Builds for Answers on Confederate Carving
Two sides' positions seem set in stone as decisions on new exhibit near
- Crowds are growing larger at the monthly meetings of the Georgia board considering what to do about the giant carving of Confederacy leaders in Stone Mountain. But officials seem no closer to an answer. The Stone Mountain Memorial Association decided to make a few changes last month, but they weren'...
Virginia University Won't Ditch
Robert E. Lee's Name
Jun 4, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Virginia University Won't Ditch Robert E. Lee's Name
Washington and Lee will remain just that
- Washington and Lee University in Virginia is keeping its name intact. The school announced Friday that it won't drop "Lee," an homage to Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, a former school president, reports the
Richmond Times Dispatch
. The Lexington university had been studying the issue for about...
University of Texas
Decides Its Song
Mar 9, 2021 4:12 PM CST
University of Texas Decides Its Song Isn't Racist
Dropping 'The Eyes of Texas' had met with outrage
- The title is a twist on something Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee said, and it made its debut in a minstrel show, but "The Eyes of Texas" will continue to be sung at the end of football games. A University of Texas committee charged with studying the history of...
of Robert E. Lee
Dec 21, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Virginia Switches Out Capitol Statue of Robert E. Lee
A 16-year-old civil rights leader will be honored instead of the Confederate general
- For 111 years, Robert E. Lee has held a place of honor in the US Capitol's Statuary Hall, next to George Washington. But "Confederate images do not represent who we are in Virginia," said a state legislator who led a commission that urged removing Lee's statue....
John Lewis' Name Takes
Over for Robert E. Lee's
Jul 24, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
John Lewis' Name Takes Over for Robert E. Lee's
Fairfax, Virginia, high school renamed after civil rights icon
- One of the nation's many Robert E. Lee High Schools will soon no longer be named after the Confederate general. The Fairfax, Virginia, school will be re-named John R. Lewis High School, effective this school year, after a unanimous vote by the school board Thursday,
Activist Confronts School
Board Member, Goes Viral
Jun 23, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Activist Confronts School Board Member, Goes Viral
Gary Chambers wasn't having it when Connie Bernard defended school named for Robert E. Lee
- An activist who showed up at a Louisiana school board meeting has gone viral after he confronted one board member who defended keeping the name of a school named after Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and seemed to be shopping online during the Thursday meeting, per ABC News . "I...
Says Hold Up
Jun 9, 2020 11:29 AM CDT
Governor Wants 'Divisive Symbol' Gone, Judge Says Hold Up
Attempt to remove Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, Va., is temporarily blocked
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northham last week ordered the removal of an iconic statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from Richmond "as soon as possible"—but now a judge is saying not so fast. On Monday, a judge in the former capital of the Confederacy issued a temporary...
Jun 8, 2020 7:55 PM CDT
Please Take Down My Ancestor's Statue
Descendant of Robert E. Lee makes the case in Virginia
- Robert W. Lee IV grew up with a Confederate flag displayed in his room, taught that the Confederacy was a just cause fought to preserve states' rights. Now an adult, father and pastor of a Christian church, Lee broadened his education and understanding of the Lost Cause and its...
Another Big Statue
Will Fall: Report
Jun 3, 2020 5:54 PM CDT
Another Big Statue Will Fall: Report
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam plans to have statue of Robert E. Lee taken down
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday for the removal of an iconic statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from Richmond's prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told the AP . The governor will direct the statue to be moved off its massive pedestal and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.