Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sweet End for Plumber Who
Found Cash in Megachurch Wall
Dec 8, 2021 11:55 AM CST
Sweet End for Plumber Who Found Cash in Megachurch Wall
He'll walk away $20K richer
The plumber who stumbled on cash and checks inside a megachurch wall will walk away from the experience a little richer. While police haven't disclosed the amount that was found, evidence suggests it is connected to theft of $600,000 from Lakewood Church in 2014, reports NBC News...
Nov 17, 2019 9:17 AM CST
Kanye Warms Up for Church —in Jail
Two unannounced concerts precede rapper's performance at Joel Osteen's church
- Before Kanye West went to church in Houston this weekend, he went to jail. The rapper put on two unannounced concerts Friday at the Harris County Jail—one for about 200 men at a lockup, then one for a smaller audience of female inmates at the main jail. "This...
Joel Osteen Addresses Harvey
Controversy in Sunday Sermon
Sep 4, 2017 2:20 PM CDT
Joel Osteen Addresses Harvey Controversy in Sunday Sermon
The prosperity-gospel preacher says he did the right thing
- Celebrity televangelist and prosperity-gospel preacher Joel Osteen used his first sermon since the devastation of Hurricane Harvey last week to defend his decision not to open his 16,000-seat Houston mega-church to people seeking shelter during the storm. Osteen received criticism on social media for not opening his massive Lakewood...
Tyler Perry Gives
With Some of It
for Joel Osteen
Sep 1, 2017 12:31 PM CDT
Tyler Perry Gives Houston $1M, With Some of It for Joel Osteen
A quarter of the money goes to Osteen's church
- Tyler Perry is donating $1 million to relief efforts in Texas following Hurricane Harvey, and a full 25% of that amount is going to Joel Osteen's Houston megachurch. Perry announced the donations in a video on Facebook ,
reports, and he insisted that though people were upset when the...
Joel Osteen's Megachurch
Eventually Opens as Shelter
Aug 29, 2017 7:15 PM CDT
Joel Osteen's Megachurch Eventually Opens as Shelter
Announcement comes after major social media backlash
- Joel Osteen opened his Houston megachurch to those seeking shelter from floodwaters Tuesday after social media critics slammed the televangelist for not offering to house people in need while Harvey swamps the city, the AP reports. Lakewood Church—a 16,000-seat former arena that was the longtime home of the...
Joel Osteen Megachurch Is
Slammed Over Harvey Actions
Aug 29, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Joel Osteen Megachurch Is Slammed Over Harvey Actions
Lots of contention over whether Lakewood Church is truly inaccessible
- Joel Osteen's Houston megachurch lives up to the "mega" part of its name: It's the former home to the NBA's Houston Rockets and boasts a seating capacity of more than 16,000—space that some feel would best serve as a shelter for Hurricane Harvey evacuees....
88% of US
Dec 24, 2013 9:40 AM CST
88% of US Catholics Approve of Pope
And some 75% of Americans like Francis
- American Catholics are big fans of the new pope, with some 88% approving of the job Pope Francis is doing, a CNN/ORC International poll finds. ( Eat your heart out, Congress .) As for the country as a whole, CNN reports that about three in four Americans has a positive...
Amazingly Elaborate Hoax Targets Megachurch Pastor
Apr 9, 2013 7:42 AM CDT
Amazingly Elaborate Hoax Targets Megachurch Pastor
Joel Osteen has renounced his faith, online hoax claims
- Somebody has put a massive amount of work into a hoax claiming that pastor Joel Osteen has renounced his faith and is resigning from the Texas megachurch his father founded, the
reports. The hoax includes a fake Twitter feed, a YouTube video from "ChristianityNews" containing mockups of...
10 Pastors Who Are
Jan 21, 2012 6:06 AM CST
10 Pastors Who Are Absolutely Loaded
God's work can apparently bring in a lot of cash
- You probably wouldn't think of "religious leader" as a job that would bring in big bucks, and for the most part, you'd be right: Catholic priests make just $25,000 to $30,000 per year, and the average Protestant pastor brings in $40,000. But get a...
Who We Trust
Jul 21, 2009 11:54 AM CDT
Who We Trust Post-Cronkite
From Cooper to Oprah, people weigh in
- After the passing of Walter Cronkite, the
wondered who could compare to his level of trustworthiness. Below are a few of the responses they got from a variety of sources:
“because he always has that slight bit of cynicism when it’s deserved,” says
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.