Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Salton Sea Heads Toward
Making Area Unlivable
Jul 26, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Salton Sea Heads Toward Making Area Unlivable
With chemical stew in the air, one day care puts inhalers around the house
- Face masks might be here to stay at the Salton Sea, where breathing was already dangerous. Imperial County lives with a haze over it that includes exhaust fumes, factory emissions, pesticide plumes, and vaporized dust that rises from California's largest lake. There's so much lithium in the water...
Risk of Big Calif. Quake
Went Up This Week
Oct 1, 2016 6:29 AM CDT
Risk of Big Calif. Quake Went Up This Week
Swarm of quakes hit in sensitive area
- The possibility of the Big One hitting along the " locked, loaded, and ready to go " San Andreas fault is an ever-present risk in southern California—and lately, it has been more present than usual. A cluster of more than 200 earthquakes hit a seismic zone under the Salton...
What's That Stench?
Sep 11, 2012 1:07 AM CDT
Californians Wonder: What's That Stench?
Smell of fish die-off may have traveled 150 miles
- Something is rotten in the state of California: A smell like rotten eggs spread across a huge area of Southern California yesterday, prompting hundreds of 911 calls and complaints to air quality authorities, reports the
. Officials initially thought a toxic spill or sewage leak could be to blame,...
Loner Author Charts His
Jul 29, 2009 3:46 PM CDT
Loner Author Charts His Own Course
Vollmann's new opus is typical—brilliant, but sometimes unreadable
- Author William T. Vollmann is an odd bird—“a loner, a bit of a recluse,” Charles McGrath writes in the
New York Times
, “and a throwback: a wandering, try-anything writer-journalist in the tradition of Steinbeck or Jack London.” And his new book,
, about Southern California,...
Popular on Newser
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.