Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Jan 14, 2022 9:40 AM CST
FDA Deregulates This Salad Topping After 70 Years
Agency is revoking 'standard of identity' for French dressing, opening up ingredient possibilities
- For nearly a quarter century, a trade group representing mayo, condiment, and salad dressing makers has been trying to get the Food and Drug Administration to back off a rule that holds one dressing in particular to what critics have said are overly strict standards. Now, it's "liberation"...
There Is No Middle Ground
in the Popcorn Salad Debate
Apr 17, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
There Is No Middle Ground in the Popcorn Salad Debate
Food blogger Molly Yeh put mayo on popcorn in a Food Network video, and everyone noticed
- Molly Yeh made a popcorn salad with mayonnaise in a video on the Food Network Facebook page and absolutely nobody had a neutral feeling about it. The food blogger called it "one of those classic midwestern dishes that you would often find in a church basement pot luck,"...
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad
Mixes Across 8 States
Jun 27, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Parasite Is Hiding in Salad Mixes Across 8 States
206 people have already tested positive
- Salad lovers, watch out: The FDA and the CDC are warning about an outbreak linked to certain salads sold at Jewel-Osco, Hy-Vee, and Walmart stores,
reports. Long story short, the stores are recalling garden-salad mixes made by a Fresh Express facility in Streamwood, Illinois, and other brands may...
Over 400 Get Sick
Eating McDonald's Salads
Aug 12, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Over 400 Get Sick Eating McDonald's Salads
The CDC points to the parasite infection called Cyclospora
- People are continuing to get sick from a nasty parasitic infection the CDC has linked to McDonald's salads, UPI reports. The number of people hit with the
parasite rose to 436 this week, up from 395 last week, with cases clustering in the Midwest (Illinois especially) and spreading...
Salad Mix Included
a Bat: Report
Apr 9, 2017 7:31 AM CDT
Salad Mix Included a Bat: Report
CDC can't rule out rabies; 2 people in Florida being treated
- A bag of salad mix went a little heavier on the "mix" than the "salad," reports CNN . Two people in Florida are now being treated for rabies exposure after finding a dead bat in a bag of Fresh Express Organic Marketside Spring Mix. Just in case you...
Worse Than a
Double Big Mac
Feb 5, 2016 12:25 PM CST
McDonald's Salad Worse Than a Double Big Mac
Canadian kale salad offers more calories, salt, and fat: CBC
- The CBC has uncovered a great example of why you should always read nutritional labels: A kale salad McDonald's is serving in Canada contains more calories than a Double Big Mac. The "Keep Calm, Caesar On" salad—made with lettuce, baby kale, crispy chicken, and Asiago Caesar dressing—...
1 Dead in Listeria Outbreak
Tied to Packaged Lettuce
Jan 22, 2016 2:47 PM CST
1 Dead in Listeria Outbreak Tied to Packaged Lettuce
Some Dole salads are recalled
- Packaged salads produced at a Dole facility in Ohio are linked to one death in Michigan, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. The CDC said 12 people in six states have been hospitalized in the outbreak since July after eating salads sold under the names Dole, Fresh...
Don't Order That Salad
Aug 24, 2015 11:59 AM CDT
Don't Order That Salad
It's 'overrated,' Tamar Haspel writes
- Next time you think about ordering a salad at a restaurant, consider this: It's probably not the healthiest choice for either you or the planet, writes Tamar Haspel in the
. According to one nutritional value index, lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, and celery are some of the lowest-ranking foods...
on First Food
Grown in Space
Aug 10, 2015 11:00 AM CDT
Astronauts to Chow Down on First Food Grown in Space
Today's ISS salad comes with romaine lettuce and a citric-acid-sanitizer dressing
- In May, the first fresh cup of coffee was brewed on the International Space Station. Today, ISS astronauts will enjoy another fresh debut: a meal made with the first food grown in outer space. On the menu will be a salad made out of microgravity-grown romaine lettuce, washed with a...
Man Who Raised
$55K for Potato
Sep 28, 2014 4:10 PM CDT
Man Who Raised $55K for Potato Salad Throws Big Party
Zack Brown funnels money into charities, too
- An Ohio man who raised $55,000 in a joking crowdfunding appeal to pay for his first attempt at making potato salad threw a huge public party yesterday that promised "peace, love and potato salad." PotatoStock 2014 was held in downtown Columbus and featured bands, food trucks, beer...
Potato Salad Project on
Kickstarter Raises $17K
Jul 7, 2014 7:10 PM CDT
Potato Salad Project on Kickstarter Raises $17K
Zack Brown says potato salad isn't 'mean or snarky'
- Zack Brown's Kickstarter project started with the modest goal of $10—and blossomed into an Internet darling that's already worth over $17,000. The project? A potato salad, of course. "I'm making potato salad," wrote Brown on Kickstarter . "Basically I'm just making potato...
90 Tons of Salad Recalled
Nov 11, 2013 9:19 AM CST
90 Tons of Salad Recalled
Trader Joe's affected after 26 people sickened with E. coli
- More than 90 tons of ready-to-eat salads and sandwiches by a California catering company are being recalled after 26 people in three states were sickened by a bacterial strain of E. coli linked to its products, federal health officials said yesterday. Glass Onion Catering is recalling approximately 181,620 pounds...
8 'Health' Foods
That Aren't So Healthy
May 30, 2010 5:50 PM CDT
8 'Health' Foods That Aren't So Healthy
Vitamin Water packs a lot more than just vitamins
- Sure, an apple is a nutrient-filled snack, but so is a chocolate-chip peanut butter energy bar, right? Cracked blows the whistle on eight tasty "health" foods that actually aren't so good for our heath:
As if the fact that it's owned by Coca-Cola isn't enough of a
Foods Most Likely to
Make You Sick
Oct 6, 2009 1:43 PM CDT
Foods Most Likely to Make You Sick
- From spinach to peanut butter, consumers have weathered plenty of food scares recently. So the Center for Science in the Public Interest combed through CDC data to identify the foods most likely to harbor foodborne illness. Starting with the most dangerous:
Your salad could easily be coated in
How We Get
Sep 27, 2009 5:14 AM CDT
How We Get bin Laden: KFC's New Double Down
It's a bacon and cheese sandwich, except with fried chicken instead of bread!
- Fed up with all haute cuisine? Foodie babble? An organic garden at the White House? KFC looks to have just what you need in the Double Down, a bacon and cheese sandwich in which
the bread is replaced by fried chicken fillets
! “Forget food porn,” Scott Gold writes...
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
20-Year Search for One of 'World's Most Brutal Killers' Ends
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.