Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Rio de Janeiro
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feb 26, 2022 3:20 PM CST
Carnival Parties Defy COVID Ban
Brazilians criticize restriction when other events are allowed
- The pandemic may have disrupted Carnival plans in Rio de Janeiro for a second straight year , but revelers who have flocked to the Brazilian city for sun, sea and samba still found ways to party on Saturday. Thousands defied an official ban on street parties by dancing, singing, and mingling...
Rio's Last Wild Macaw
'Juliet' in Search of Her Romeo
May 9, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Rio's Last Wild Macaw 'Juliet' in Search of Her Romeo
She's often seen visiting her kind at the city zoo
- A blue-and-yellow macaw dubbed Juliet is believed to be the only wild bird of its kind left in Rio de Janeiro, where the birds once flew far and wide, per the AP . Almost every morning for the last two decades, Juliet has swooped onto the Rio zoo enclosure where macaws...
Brazilian Cops Accused
of Executions During Raid
May 7, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Brazilian Cops Accused of Executions During Raid
24 people designated as criminals were killed in police action
- A bloody, hourslong gunbattle in a Rio de Janeiro slum echoed into Friday, with authorities saying the police mission killed two dozen criminals while residents and activists claimed human rights abuses. It was just after sunrise Thursday when dozens of officers from Rio de Janeiro state’s civil police stormed...
This Year, Carnival Venue
Is a Mass Vaccination Site
Feb 6, 2021 4:45 PM CST
This Year, Carnival Venue Is a Mass Vaccination Site
Nurse says the event is still joyful, because it represents 'the hope of better days'
- In a normal year, Rio de Janeiro's Sambadrome would preparing for its great moment of the year: the world's most famous Carnival parade. But a week before what should be the start of Carnival, the pandemic has replaced pageantry, the AP reports, with the great celebration put on...
'World's Biggest Party'
Has Been Postponed
Sep 25, 2020 12:34 AM CDT
'World's Biggest Party' Has Been Postponed
Rio hasn't set a new date for Carnival
- A cloud of uncertainty that has hung over Rio de Janeiro throughout the pandemic has been lifted, but gloom remains—the annual Carnival parade of flamboyant samba schools, known as the "world's biggest party," won’t be held in February. And while the decision is being characterized...
Inmate Found Dead Days
After His Jailbreak Flops
Aug 6, 2019 11:45 AM CDT
Inmate Found Dead Days After His Jailbreak Flops
Clauvino da Silva believed to have died by hanging
- A Brazilian gang leader is believed to have committed suicide three days after attempting to escape prison dressed as his 19-year-old daughter . Clauvino da Silva was found dead Tuesday in his cell at the high-security Bangu 1 prison in Rio de Janeiro state. He'd been transferred there following his...
Cost to Host Olympics?
Start With $2M in Bribes
Jul 5, 2019 12:38 PM CDT
Cost to Host Olympics? Start With $2M in Bribes
Former Rio governor tells court that up to nine IOC officials were paid off in 2016
- Chicago was one of the cities that lost out to Rio de Janeiro back in 2009 for the right to host the 2016 Olympics. Bribery apparently would have helped. Sergio Cabral, a former Rio governor, told a court this week that he bought up to nine International Olympic Committee votes...
Guy Tries to Rob
Female MMA Fighter.
It Does Not Go Well
Jan 8, 2019 8:48 AM CST
Guy Tries to Rob Female MMA Fighter. It Does Not Go Well
MMA fighter Polyana Viana wasn't about to give up her cellphone
- What's worse than running into a karate dojo while trying to abduct someone? Trying to rob an MMA fighter is right up there. "#badf---ingidea" is how UFC President Dana White framed it, posting on Instagram a picture of 26-year-old Brazilian mixed martial arts fighter Polyana Viana next to...
Sep 3, 2018 2:48 AM CDT
Fire Engulfs 200-Year-Old National Museum
An 'unbearable catastrophe' in Brazil
- A massive fire has destroyed millions of items at Brazil's national museum—and for many Brazilians, shock has turned to anger. The blaze, which began at the 200-year-old museum in Rio de Janeiro after it closed to the public Sunday, is believed to have wiped out much of its...
Even His Victims
Are Defending This
Feb 16, 2018 11:55 AM CST
Even His Victims Are Defending This Alleged Kidnapper
Brazilian gang boss allegedly kidnapped nurses to vaccinate the poor
- Wanted gang leader Thomaz Viera Gomez has been dubbed Brazil's very own Robin Hood, thanks to his alleged involvement in what may be one of the most unconventional kidnappings ever, reports
. That's because the two men Gomez, or "2N," is accused of kidnapping on Jan....
Video Shows Why Jiujitsu Gym
Isn't Good Target for Thieves
Oct 4, 2017 7:56 PM CDT
Video Shows Why Jiujitsu Gym Isn't Good Target for Thieves
Would-be thief chased away by multiple jiujitsu students
- A would-be thief in a Rio de Janeiro suburb apparently chose the wrong gym to rob, the AP reports. Surveillance camera footage shared widely on social media shows the man entering the gym and jumping a turnstile after arguing with the receptionist. Several seconds later, the man is seen jumping...
Lochte: I May Have Been 'Most
Hated Person in the World'
Jun 7, 2017 3:35 PM CDT
Lochte: I May Have Been 'Most Hated Person in the World'
But swimmer clarifies he never considered suicide after scandal at Rio Olympics
- Ryan Lochte spent most of last August on an apology tour for his "immature behavior" at the Rio Olympics, which saw the swimmer jump from pool water into hot water for his role in an incident at a local gas station—an event he originally "over-exaggerated" as an...
Brazil Cop Admits to Killing
Greek Ambassador Over Affair
Dec 30, 2016 5:40 PM CST
Brazil Cop Admits to Killing Greek Ambassador Over Affair
Rio police officer says ambassador's wife told him to murder her husband
- Police searching for Greece's missing ambassador to Brazil found his burnt-out car in a Rio suburb Thursday with a body inside. Forensic experts are trying to determine whether the body is that of Ambassador Kyriakos Amiridis, who was last heard from Monday when he phoned his wife, the BBC...
Iranian Cyclist Killed
in Paralympics Crash
Sep 18, 2016 5:51 AM CDT
Iranian Cyclist Killed in Paralympics Crash
Bahman Golbarnezhad believed to be first athlete killed in Paralympics
- An Iranian cyclist died after crashing in a road race at the Rio de Janeiro Paralympics on Saturday. Bahman Golbarnezhad, 48, received emergency treatment on the course and was transported to a Rio hospital where he died, reports the AP . "This is truly heart-breaking news, and the thoughts and...
Lochte in Line
for Long Suspension
Sep 8, 2016 1:19 AM CDT
Lochte in Line for Long Suspension
IOC, USA Swimming will ban him for 10 months
- Ryan Lochte has been hit with a 10-month suspension for his behavior in Rio, sources tell
, CNN , and other outlets. The punishment handed down by the International Olympic Committee, the United States Olympic Committee, and USA Swimming also includes a ban from 2017's world championship meet in...
Rio Police Have
With a Crime
Aug 25, 2016 5:43 PM CDT
Rio Police Have Finally Charged Ryan Lochte With a Crime
Charges for filing a false robbery report were filed Thursday
- Brazilian police have charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, the AP reports. A police statement Thursday says Lochte will be informed in the US so he can decide whether to introduce a defense in Brazil....
Over 'Robbed' Swimmers
Aug 19, 2016 2:46 AM CDT
USOC Apologizes Over 'Robbed' Swimmers
2 athletes allowed to fly home
- An embarrassed US Olympic Committee apologized Thursday night for what it called a "distracting ordeal": the alleged robbery of four US swimmers, which Brazilian police now say was a fabrication. In a statement , USOC CEO Scott Blackmun said sorry to "our hosts in Rio and the people of...
British Sportscaster in Rio
Spends Olympics in Coma
Aug 18, 2016 6:21 PM CDT
British Sportscaster in Rio Spends Olympics in Coma
Charlie Webster was nearly killed by malaria
- A British sportscaster "nearly died" after contracting a rare form of malaria in Brazil, the
reports. According to the BBC , 33-year-old Charlie Webster arrived in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 4 after completing the six-day, 3,000-mile Ride to Rio charity bike ride. She fell ill the next...
Lochte, US Swimmers Were
in Gas Station Fight: Sources
Aug 18, 2016 10:59 AM CDT
Lochte, US Swimmers Were in Gas Station Fight: Sources
'Robbery' of Ryan Lochte, teammates in Rio now coming under question
- Even more controversial than Ryan Lochte's new hairstyle: the murky story of what happened with him and other US swimmers in Rio. Although Lochte says he was robbed at gunpoint in a taxi over the weekend with Olympic teammates Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, and Jimmy Feigen, the story got...
2 US Swimmers
Off Plane Home
Aug 18, 2016 6:27 AM CDT
Brazil Yanks 2 US Swimmers Off Plane Home
Ryan Lochte changes details but insists robbery took place
- American swimmers Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz are going to be staying in Brazil for longer than they bargained for. Authorities pulled the men off their flight back to the US at Rio's international airport on Wednesday for questioning over their alleged robbery , the
New York Times
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Arrest Made in Ambush Murder of Microsoft Exec
After Boy, 6, Shoots Teacher, Superintendent Shown the Door
DA Says Mother Will Be Charged With Killing 2 Kids
Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine Told Not to Go Near It Twice
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.