Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Elizabeth Smart Describes Wanda Barzee's Apology
Meanwhile, Barzee is released from prison
- As Wanda Barzee was released from prison Wednesday morning, another portion of Elizabeth Smart's interview with Gayle King aired on
CBS This Morning
—and in it, Smart says the woman who along with Brian David Mitchell kidnapped her in 2002 has never shown remorse. "Part of her...
Elizabeth Smart: 'Evil' Captor 'Encouraged Him to Rape Me'
On eve of Wanda Barzee's release, Smart says she sat next to her while she was being raped
- On Wednesday, Wanda Barzee is set to walk out of Utah State Prison a free woman—and on Tuesday, the person she helped hold captive for nine months is once more speaking out against her release. A surprise announcement earlier this month warned Elizabeth Smart, now 30, that her one-time...
Elizabeth Smart Says Kidnapper Still a 'Threat'
Wanda Barzee is set to be released Sept. 19
- "I know the depths of her depravity." That's what Elizabeth Smart had to say Thursday about her kidnapper, Wanda Barzee, who is set to be released from prison , the
Salt Lake Tribune
reports. During a press conference , Smart said Barzee is still a "danger and a...
Elizabeth Smart Kidnapper Unexpectedly Being Released
Smart's father says family had been told Wanda Barzee wouldn't be freed for years
- The woman who helped kidnap Elizabeth Smart in 2002 and held her in captivity for nine months will be freed next Wednesday following a surprise announcement from the Utah Board of Pardons and Parole. The somewhat confusing development is a technical one: The
Salt Lake Tribune
reports the board denied...
Elizabeth Smart Takes the Stand Against Alleged Kidnapper
She recalls 'begging' him not to rape her
- Elizabeth Smart took the stand today against the man accused of kidnapping and raping her, recounting in a calm voice how Brian David Mitchell allegedly woke her up on the morning of June 5, 2002, with a knife to her throat. He said, “Come with me or I will...
Elizabeth Smart Kidnapper Gets 15 Years
Barzee has already served nearly half her sentence
- Wanda Barzee was sentenced to 15 years in prison today for her role in the 2002 kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart. Barzee, who pleaded guilty in November, has spent 7 years in jail or a mental hospital during a dispute over whether she was mentally fit to stand trial, the
Smart's Co-Abductor: 'I Am So Sorry, Elizabeth'
Barzee expected to serve another 9 years in prison
- A woman charged in the 2002 kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart pleaded guilty today as part of a deal with prosecutors and asked Smart to forgive her. Wanda Eileen Barzee is expected to receive a 15-year sentence, with credit for about six already served. "I am so sorry, Elizabeth, for...
Elizabeth Smart's Co-Kidnapper to Plead Guilty
Wanda Barzee in court on kidnapping charges today
- A woman accused of helping kidnap schoolgirl Elizabeth Smart in 2002 is expected to plead guilty today. Wanda Barzee could face a life sentence on kidnapping charges, although her lawyer declined to comment on whether her guilty plea is coming as part of a deal. Barzee was ruled competent to...
Popular on Newser
Suspected Culprit Emerges in Mystery 'Havana Syndrome'
Robert Redford's Son Dead at 58
USA Today Breaks With Tradition on 2020 Race
Killer Peter Madsen Escapes Prison
Rush Limbaugh Shares News on His Cancer
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.