Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Feds: Mail Carrier Stole
Greeting Cards for the Cash
Jan 7, 2022 2:46 PM CST
Feds: Mail Carrier Stole Greeting Cards for the Cash
Florida's Miranda Delee Farleigh, 25, allegedly stole 4K pieces of mail, was turned in by parents
- Authorities say that a Florida mail carrier accused of stealing 4,000 or so pieces of mail around the holidays was busted by her own parents, and that she sifted through greeting cards to find cash due to her drug addiction. The alleged monthlong scheme carried out by 25-year-old Miranda...
to Slow Delivery
Oct 1, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
Postal Service to Slow Delivery Starting Friday
Experts, officials worry about effects on people who rely on the mail
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's long-argued overhaul of mail delivery is here. Starting Friday, the Postal Service will be in less of a hurry to bring the mail, part of DeJoy's 10-year plan to cut costs and hold prices down, CBS reports. The Postal Service, which is looking at...
FedEx Has to Reroute
600K Packages a Day
Sep 23, 2021 1:35 PM CDT
FedEx Has to Reroute 600K Packages a Day
It's all because of a labor shortage
- FedEx is rerouting 600,000 packages a day, resulting in longer delivery times, because of a labor shortage that could stretch into the holiday season. About 6% of the average daily volume of packages is being rerouted across the FedEx Ground network, President and COO Raj Subramaniam told investors during...
Your Mail Is About
to Get Slower, Pricier
in case you missed it
Jul 25, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Your Mail Is About to Get Slower, Pricier
- "Get used to me," Postmaster General Louis DeJoy told Democratic lawmakers who described him as a "Trump holdover" earlier this year. Starting next month, Americans will have to get used to some of the changes he has introduced, including slower mail for a higher price, CBS reports....
Getting Even Pricier
May 29, 2021 7:56 PM CDT
Stamps Are Getting Even Pricier
Cost rises to 58 cents this summer, part of Louis DeJoy's 10-year plan
- It might be a good time to stock up on Forever Stamps. Rates are going up at the US Postal Service this summer—a first-class stamp will go up from 55 cents to 58 cents. Some postal service employees will be laid off, too, the
Mail Carrier's Wrong Turn
Earns Him an Arrest
in case you missed it
Nov 8, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Mail Carrier's Wrong Turn Earns Him an Arrest
CBP agents say 800 pieces of mail were in trunk of Buffalo USPS worker's car
- A US Postal Service mail carrier in Buffalo has been arrested after authorities say Customs and Border Protection officials found 813 pieces of mail in the trunk of his car as he drove back to Buffalo from Canada. Per a criminal complaint filed by Brendan Boone, a special agent with...
USPS Finds Trash Bags Full
of Mail on Employee's Curb
Oct 14, 2020 1:57 PM CDT
USPS Finds Trash Bags Full of Mail on Employee's Curb
Pennsylvania employee is on unpaid leave
- Garbage bags filled with undelivered mail were left on the curb for trash collectors outside the home of a postal employee in Pennsylvania, according to the US Postal Service, which describes such cases as "exceedingly rare." Special agents with USPS on Sunday discovered the bags holding "several...
Sep 21, 2020 4:19 PM CDT
Figures Show How Much DeJoy Slowed the Mail
On-time rates still lag, though postmaster general suspended his changes
- Mail delivery was humming along, despite the pandemic, when Louis DeJoy took office in June as US postmaster general. First-class mail was reaching its destination just a couple of percentage points below the Postal Service's goal of 95% of the time. DeJoy, appointed by President Trump, quickly made changes...
Are in Cahoots
Sep 17, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Judge: Trump, Postal Service Are in Cahoots
Judge Stanley Bastian issues a nationwide injunction against the USPS 'leave behind' policy
- A US judge on Thursday blocked controversial Postal Service changes that have slowed mail nationwide, calling them "a politically motivated attack on the efficiency of the Postal Service" before the November election, the AP reports. Judge Stanley Bastian in Yakima, Washington, said he was issuing a nationwide preliminary injunction...
House Votes to
Drop $25B on USPS
Aug 23, 2020 5:33 AM CDT
House Votes to Drop $25B on USPS
Trump is against the measure, which is likely to stall in the Senate
- With heated debate over mail delays, the House approved legislation in a rare Saturday session that would reverse recent changes in US Postal Service operations and send $25 billion to shore up the agency ahead of the November election. Speaker Nancy Pelosi recalled lawmakers to Washington over objections from Republicans...
Potential Snag in Mail
Voting: Post Office Backlogs
Jul 31, 2020 4:15 PM CDT
Potential Snag in Mail Voting: Post Office Backlogs
New changes in procedure causing letters to back up: Washington Post
- Mail is piling up at post offices, and employees are worried that November election ballots could be delayed. The backlog has been building since the new postmaster general and President Trump ally, Louis DeJoy, enacted changes at the Postal Service this month that were billed as needed to cut costs,...
Guy's Online Order
Turns Up 8 Years Late
May 28, 2020 3:09 AM CDT
Guy's Online Order Turns Up 8 Years Late
He says he no longer wants the hair cream
- When the fifth season of
aired in 2012, Canadian man Elliot Berinstein decided to try out the Don Draper look and ordered some hair cream online. It arrived three weeks ago. Berinstein says he was surprised when a package from online retailer Well.ca turned up on his...
Michelle Obama Pushes for
Expansion of Mail-in Voting
Apr 13, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Michelle Obama Pushes for Expansion of Mail-in Voting
'No American should have to choose between making their voice heard and staying safe'
- Michelle Obama's voting rights group has joined a new push to expand voting-by-mail options as lockdown measures extend further into election season. The group, When We All Vote, is supporting Democratic legislation that would require states to offer absentee voting to all voters. This is the first time the...
A Company Sent Him
a Letter—55K Times
Feb 5, 2020 10:05 AM CST
A Company Sent Him a Letter—55K Times
All that mail/bonfire fuel might've cost some $11K to send
- Dan Cain was expecting a statement about his daughter's student loan. He was not expecting 55,000 copies. But when the Ohio man showed up to the Twinsburg Post Office, he was told his mail wouldn't fit through the front door, reports WOIO . Driving around back, he saw...
Cocaine and Bribes:
How Atlanta Letter
Carriers Went 'Corrupt'
Nov 29, 2018 7:56 AM CST
Cocaine and Bribes: How Atlanta Letter Carriers Went 'Corrupt'
16 USPS employees sentenced in drug trafficking scheme
- Federal officials say postal workers in metro Atlanta weren't just delivering mail but also cocaine on behalf of drug traffickers in exchange for bribes as low as $250. When the gavel came down Tuesday, a mail clerk and 15 letter carriers had been sentenced to between three and nine...
Greeting Card Sting Ends in
Postal Worker Plea Deal
Sep 16, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Greeting Card Sting Ends in Postal Worker Plea Deal
Ebony Smith stole over 6,000 greeting cards stuffed with cash and checks
- A Wisconsin postal worker has pleaded guilty to charges she stole over 6,000 greeting cards from residents on her route in the city of Wauwatosa. As part of a plea deal, Ebony Smith of Milwaukee admitted to taking the cards and pocketing between $50 and $100 per week. Per...
Palestinians Are Sorting
Through 8 Years of Mail
Aug 19, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Palestinians Are Sorting Through 8 Years of Mail
Israel has apparently withheld delivery since 2010
- Palestinian postal workers in the West Bank are sifting through eight years' worth of undelivered mail held by Israel, the AP reports. In recent days the Palestinian postal staff in Jericho has been sorting through tons of undelivered mail in a room packed with letters, boxes, and even a wheelchair....
'Overwhelmed' Postal Worker
Hoarded 17K Deliveries: Report
Apr 21, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
'Overwhelmed' Postal Worker Hoarded 17K Deliveries: Report
Aleksey Germash says he delivered the 'important' stuff
- A postal worker who prosecutors say hoarded away more than 17,000 pieces of undelivered mail in New York City allegedly told investigators he was overwhelmed by the amount of mail he had to deliver, the AP reports. But officials say Aleksey Germash told them he "made sure to...
Mailman on Dug-Up Mail:
'Looks Like I'm Going to Jail'
Apr 12, 2018 8:16 AM CDT
Mailman on Dug-Up Mail: 'Looks Like I'm Going to Jail'
11K pieces of mail were reportedly found in Michigan ravine
- Neither snow nor rain can keep most mail carriers from their duties, but a too-taxing workload apparently derailed ex-Indiana mailman Kristopher Block. He's now charged with misdemeanor theft and felony "official misconduct" after allegedly not delivering 17,000 pieces of mail, the
reports. What the former...
Jun 29, 2017 10:44 AM CDT
Knife-Stealing Crow Wreaking Havoc Again
This time Canuck attacked a mail carrier
- It’s been awhile since Canuck stole a knife from a crime scene, so perhaps boredom had set in. Or perhaps the crow just has a taste for blood. Either way, the local celebrity in Vancouver, Canada, shut down mail service to several addresses in the city for more than...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.