Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news and studies about breastfeeding on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
AAP: Breastfeeding for 2 Years
or Longer Should Be Supported
Jun 29, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
AAP: Breastfeeding for 2 Years or Longer Should Be Supported
American Academy of Pediatrics updates its guidance for first time in decade
- The American Academy of Pediatrics on Monday updated its breastfeeding guidance for the first time in a decade. In addition to sticking with its recommendation that infants be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life, it for the first time included a recommendation that we support parents who...
Advice on the
Goes Over Poorly
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 21, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Singer suggested women 'try breastfeeding'
- Amid the nationwide formula shortage , Bette Midler had some advice for struggling parents: "TRY BREASTFEEEDING! It’s free and available on demand," she tweeted Thursday. Perhaps not surprisingly, that suggestion did not go over well, the Hill reports. A plethora of responses ranging from respectful disagreement to outrage...
Mom Told to Cover
Breastfeeding: 'I Got Angry'
Jan 26, 2020 12:45 PM CST
Mom Told to Cover Breastfeeding: 'I Got Angry'
Samantha McIntosh pushed back against Chick-fil-A
- Cover my breastfeeding? OK ... I think. A Georgia woman agreed to a Chick-fil-A manager's request Monday—seems a customer had complained—but then got upset about it, CNN reports. "As I sit there in this family friendly restaurant I start to simmer," writes Samantha McIntosh on Facebook...
Study: Way We Treat
Newborns Is All Wrong
in case you missed it
Jan 26, 2019 2:00 PM CST
Study: Way We Treat Newborns Is All Wrong
New research finds it's better to wait on that sponge bath
- Think newborns should be welcomed to the world with a nice sponge bath? Not so, according to a new study that recommends waiting at least 12 hours so the baby can bond physically with the mother and begin breastfeeding, the Cleveland
reports. The study arose after more new...
Flight Attendant Helps
Passenger by Breastfeeding
Nov 10, 2018 9:40 AM CST
Flight Attendant Helps Passenger by Breastfeeding
Patrisha Organo writes, "I felt a pinch in my heart"
- Anyone who's griped about airline service, check this out—a flight attendant who says she breastfed a passenger's baby. The attendant, Patrisha Organo, heard the infant crying on a recent Philippine Airlines flight and asked if the mother was okay, CNN reports. "Teary-eyed, she told me that...
When I Went
Aug 11, 2018 8:17 AM CDT
'Humiliated' Mom: Doc Balked When I Went to Breastfeed
Jennifer Howard says doctor at her appointment requested she cover herself during feeding
- Shaming women for breastfeeding in public is still more common than it should be, but Jennifer Howard likely didn't think it would happen in her own doctor's office. The
Salem Statesman Journal
reports the 38-year-old Oregon mom was at an appointment at Salem Clinic when it came time...
She Breastfed Her Child,
and Officials Say It Killed Him
in case you missed it
Jul 21, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
She Breastfed Her Child, and Officials Say It Killed Him
Bucks mother charged after infant found to have died from ingesting meth, methadone
- A Pennsylvania mother's 11-week-old son died in April, and she has now been charged in his death. The
reports Samantha Jones, 30, is in Bucks County Jail after failing to make her $3 million bail in connection with the homicide charge. A probable cause affidavit reveals the...
Model Walks the Runway
Jul 17, 2018 6:38 AM CDT
Model Walks the Runway While Breastfeeding
Mara Martin steals the show in Miami
- A model taking part in a
swimwear fashion show stole the spotlight with one of the most unusual runway walks ever. Mara Martin strutted during Miami Swim Week while breastfeeding her 5-month-old daughter, reports
. In a video clip , you can hear the audience cheering when they realize...
Trump Responds to
Jul 9, 2018 1:50 PM CDT
Trump Responds to Breastfeeding Controversy
Says resolution was opposed because women shouldn't 'be denied access to formula'
- President Trump on Monday addressed the recent
New York Times
report that the US used threats in an attempt to block a WHO resolution promoting breastfeeding, insisting the US was only opposed to the fact that the resolution called for limits on promoting infant formula, the AP reports. "The...
Report: US Tried to Block
Jul 9, 2018 4:08 AM CDT
Report: US Tried to Block Breastfeeding Resolution
Smaller countries were bullied, insiders say
- A World Health Assembly meeting that had been expected to easily pass a resolution promoting breastfeeding turned ugly when the Trump administration got involved, reports the
New York Times
, citing "more than a dozen participants from several countries." The sources say that the American delegation to the United...
In 1st Documented Case,
Trans Woman Breastfeeds
Feb 15, 2018 12:15 PM CST
In 1st Documented Case, Trans Woman Breastfeeds
It's 'a very big deal,' says one doctor
- Though online forums suggest she's not the first to manage the feat, doctors are celebrating the case of a breastfeeding transgender woman, the first to be recorded in medical literature. The 30-year-old went to doctors at New York's Mount Sinai hospital with the intention of breastfeeding when her...
Mom Sues Hospital for $8.6M
After Suffocating Her Newborn
Aug 11, 2017 7:10 AM CDT
Mom Sues Hospital for $8.6M After Suffocating Her Newborn
Monica Thompson was heavily medicated when staff left him to nurse
- Monica Thompson tried for 12 years to get pregnant, so when she had her first child, Jacob, she called him her "miracle baby." Tragically, he didn't live past day 10. Now the mother of a toddler girl, Thompson is suing Portland Adventist Medical Center in Oregon for...
A Mother's 'Nanosecond of
Nipple,' Then a Tweetstorm
Aug 7, 2017 8:47 AM CDT
A Mother's 'Nanosecond of Nipple,' Then a Tweetstorm
Mom breastfeeding in London museum takes to Twitter after being asked to cover up
- Surrounded by stone breasts, one mom was pressured to cover up her own. NPR reports on a breastfeeding mother who was asked by a staffer at London's Victoria and Albert Museum to cover up while trying to feed her 1-year-old in a museum courtyard over the weekend. But instead...
Link Between Breastfeeding,
Lower Risk of This Disease
Jul 13, 2017 10:58 AM CDT
Link Between Breastfeeding, Lower Risk of This Disease
How long a woman nurses appears to impact her risk in developing multiple sclerosis
- Women are most likely to develop multiple sclerosis during their childbearing years—after they hit puberty and before menopause. And recent studies show that oral contraceptive use and levels of sex hormones impact a woman's risk, while women who already have the chronic autoimmune disease are less likely to...
Your Baby Warms Your Heart.
Breastfeeding Might Protect It
Jun 22, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Your Baby Warms Your Heart. Breastfeeding Might Protect It
Nursing a baby for two years provides the most protection
- It's well established that breastfeeding confers a wide range of health benefits to both mother and baby. For instance, a mother's risk of obesity, breast and ovarian cancer, and osteoporosis go down if she nursed, reports the
. But now researchers report in the
Journal of the American
This Is the
of Any Primate
May 18, 2017 9:59 AM CDT
This Is the Longest-Nursing of Any Primate
Orangutans set a record, researchers find
- Orangutans nurse their young for up to eight years or longer, a new study finds—a record for primates. As
notes, it's difficult to study orangutans in the wild since they're so often out of sight in trees, but it's important for conservationists to know...
May 10, 2017 1:00 AM CDT
Breastfeeding Aussie Senator Makes History
Larissa Waters is first to feed baby in country's Parliament
- Australian Sen. Larissa Waters made history with her 2-month-old daughter Alia Joy on Tuesday. The Australian Greens party member became the first mother to breastfeed a baby in the Parliament chamber, winning praise for setting an example for mothers in the workplace, the
reports. Other lawmakers in countries including...
'If I Had Given Him Just One
Bottle, He Would Still Be Alive'
in case you missed it
Mar 11, 2017 1:19 PM CST
'If I Had Given Him Just One Bottle, He Would Still Be Alive'
Jillian Johnson opens up about death of Landon due to accidental starvation
- Jillian Johnson wishes a happy 5th birthday to her "sweet boy" Landon in a blog post at Fed Is Best —a post in which she publicly opens up for the first time about his death to accidental starvation at 19 days old. "If I had given him...
Mom: Day Care Worker
Breastfed My Baby
Feb 8, 2017 10:32 AM CST
Mom: Day Care Worker Breastfed My Baby
She's pushing for criminal charges in North Carolina
- An angry North Carolina mother has lodged an unusual complaint about her infant's day care: She says a worker breastfed her 3-month-old son without permission. Kaycee Oxendine tells WTVD-TV in Durham that security footage inside Carrboro Early School showed a woman adjusting her top and bringing Oxendine's child...
After Wife's Suicide,
Husband Has Moving
Message for New Moms
Jan 19, 2017 9:21 AM CST
After Wife's Suicide, Husband Has Moving Message for New Moms
'You are Not alone," Kim Chen writes of postpartum depression
- A grieving husband who lost his wife to an apparent suicide has made an emotional appeal to new moms facing postpartum depression. Florence Leung, 32, left her 2-month-old son in October and never came home, CBC reports . Her body was found several weeks later. Now, husband Kim Chen is reaching...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.