Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Olympics Ratings Are
Feb 25, 2018 10:48 AM CST
Olympics Ratings Are Significantly Down
And that could be bad news for NBC
- Was NBC's $12 billion investment in the Olympics a good idea? Based on the ratings from the Pyeongchang games, it's not clear. Viewership in the coveted 18-49 demographic is down 24% compared to the winter games in Sochi four years ago, CNN reports, though NBC points out it'...
Skater Nearly Booted for
Slacking Off Wins Gold
Feb 23, 2018 12:45 AM CST
Skater Nearly Booted for Slacking Off Wins Gold
Alina Zagitova finished ahead of compatriot, 18
- A few years back, Alina Zagitova nearly was sent home from training for not working hard enough. Now, she heads home with Olympic gold, the first for the Russians at the Pyeongchang Olympics. A grateful nation—upset that their flag, anthem, and dozens of athletes were banned from the games...
US Wins First Hockey Gold
in 20 Years
Feb 22, 2018 6:17 AM CST
US Wins First Hockey Gold in 20 Years
USA women beat Canada in tiebreaker shootout
- The United States has beaten Canada in a shootout to win their first Olympic gold since 1998 in women's hockey. Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson scored in the first extra round of the first shootout tiebreaker in Olympic women's hockey history on Thursday to give the United States the gold medal...
US Women Pull Off
Major Olympic Upset
Feb 21, 2018 6:50 AM CST
US Women Pull Off Major Olympic Upset
Lindsay Vonn takes bronze in final Olympic downhill
- The American women's cross-country ski team pulled off a major upset in Pyeongchang Wednesday, winning gold in the team sprint—the first-ever medal for the US women's team. The only other American to win a cross-country ski medal was Bill Koch, who won silver in the 30-kilometer race...
The 'Mediocre' Skier Raising
Eyebrows at the Olympics
Feb 20, 2018 12:22 PM CST
The 'Mediocre' Skier Raising Eyebrows at the Olympics
Elizabeth Swaney didn't do any tricks on her halfpipe run, deliberately
- On the surface, there's nothing at all ordinary or subpar about a 33-year-old Berkeley and Harvard grad who's competing with the best of the best at the Olympics. Yet Elizabeth Swaney has caused a hubbub in Pyeongchang, after turning in what Digg labels a "hilariously mediocre" ski...
Speedskater for N. Korea
Has a Really Rough Race
Feb 20, 2018 11:10 AM CST
Speedskater for N. Korea Has a Really Rough Race
Jong Kwang Bom crashes—twice
- In his defense, Jong Kwang Bom is only 17 and "clearly" had no business lining up to race as an Olympic speedskater for North Korea, per a post at
. But race he did, and things did not end well. Jong fell almost immediately after the start of...
'Greatest Ice Dancers
Ever' Take Olympic Gold
Feb 20, 2018 6:21 AM CST
'Greatest Ice Dancers Ever' Take Olympic Gold
French team that suffered malfunction was a close second
- American siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani have a bronze medal to be proud of, France's Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron broke the record for the highest free-dance score, but Olympic ice dancing gold went to Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir on Tuesday,
reports. The pair, who...
They Were Going for a Medal.
Then 'in a Flash, Disaster'
Feb 20, 2018 12:33 AM CST
They Were Going for a Medal. Then 'in a Flash, Disaster'
American figure skaters Madison Chock, Evan Bates tumble to the ice during a spin
- Olympic figure skaters in Pyeongchang have confronted wardrobe malfunctions and political controversy , but heartbreak is what came for American partners Madison Chock and Evan Bates. Per
, both skaters tumbled to the ice Tuesday during their long program after their skate blades got caught up together during a combination...
Skater's 'Worst Nightmare'
Takes Place on Olympic Ice
Feb 19, 2018 6:17 AM CST
Skater's 'Worst Nightmare' Takes Place on Olympic Ice
French skater Gabriella Papadakis' top slipped down, exposing part of her breast
- First it was figure skater Yura Min whose costume glitch caused her a moment of distress at the Olympics. Now one of Min's French counterparts can claim the same, though Gabriella Papadakis' experience led to a bit more on-ice embarrassment. As Papadakis started her short program routine Monday with...
Russian Who Failed
Doping Test Was a Curler
Feb 19, 2018 12:11 AM CST
Russian Who Failed Doping Test Was a Curler
This could damage chances of reinstatement
- Russia could lose its chance to be reinstated before the end of the Winter Olympics because of a doping charge against curling bronze medalist Alexander Krushelnitsky. The Court of Arbitration for Sport said in a statement Monday that it has "initiated a procedure involving" Krushelnitsky, who finished third in...
The Fact She Just Won
a Skiing Gold Is Crazy
Feb 17, 2018 6:39 AM CST
The Fact She Just Won a Skiing Gold Is Crazy
Ester Ledecka is a champion snowboarder who has only skied 19 World Cup races in her career
- We had the Miracle on Ice in 1980. Now, the "Miracle on Snow." NPR reports on Saturday's shocking women's Super-G race, which was won by a Czech snowboarding champ who the AP reports has taken part in just 19 World Cup skiing races in her entire...
First Came Disaster
for Nathan Chen. Then
Came the Unbelievable
Feb 17, 2018 5:42 AM CST
First Came Disaster for Nathan Chen. Then Came the Unbelievable
Figure skater lands an unparalleled six quadruple jumps
- Nathan Chen finally admitted the pressure of being the face of American figure skating got to him, winding him up so tight for his short program that it ended in what he described as a "disaster." All that pressure was gone for his free skate. Out of medals...
IOC Sends Member
Home 'in Disgrace'
Feb 16, 2018 7:33 AM CST
IOC Sends Member Home 'in Disgrace'
Friday was a rough day for Americans in Pyeongchang
- The International Olympic Committee has sent one of its own members home from Pyeongchang after a clash with a hotel security guard. The
reports that British IOC member Adam Pengilly is leaving South Korea "in disgrace" after the incident. Pengilly—a skeleton slider for Britain in the 2006...
17-Year-Old American Skater
Manages an Olympic First
Feb 16, 2018 1:03 AM CST
17-Year-Old American Skater Manages an Olympic First
Vincent Zhou lands quadruple lutz
- A 17-year-old American figure skater has pulled off a move that nobody else has landed cleanly in the 94-year history of the Winter Olympics. In the men's short program, Vincent Zhou landed a quadruple lutz, which "requires four rotations after a jump from the outside of one foot,...
Olympic Snowboarder Lands
'Gruesomely,' Breaks Neck
Feb 15, 2018 1:20 PM CST
Olympic Snowboarder Lands 'Gruesomely,' Breaks Neck
Markus Schairer of Austria fell with such force his goggles flew off
- Pick the wilder of the two following sentences: Markus Schairer broke his neck during a quarterfinal race in snowboard cross at the Winter Olympics Thursday. The Austrian stood up and finished the race.
reports the accident occurred during the final jump of the course, with Schairer landing "...
With Alpine Win
Feb 15, 2018 8:01 AM CST
Norwegian Breaks Age Record With Alpine Win
Mikaela Shiffrin scores first gold
- At 35, Aksel Lund Svindal is an old man by the standards of Olympic Alpine skiing —but the Norwegian managed to win the men's downhill on Thursday, earning a place in the record books as the oldest skier to win Olympic gold, the AP reports. "That's...
Well, USA Men's Hockey
Just Lost to Slovenia
Feb 14, 2018 12:19 PM CST
Well, USA Men's Hockey Just Lost to Slovenia
And the internet raises a collective eyebrow
- Deadspin's headline says it all: "USA Men's Hockey Loses To Slovenia. Slovenia!" Five practices were supposed to prepare the Americans for this, but the preparation wasn't enough to fend off the fatigue as the United States blew a two-goal lead and lost a 3-2...
After Shaun White's Glory,
He Has to Apologize Twice
Feb 14, 2018 10:56 AM CST
After Shaun White's Glory, He Has to Apologize Twice
Snowboarder sorry for belittling harassment lawsuit, dragging flag
- Shaun White pulled off the impressive feat of winning a gold medal at his third different Olympics on Wednesday, but subsequent headlines haven't been all flattering for the all-world snowboarder. For one thing, his win has brought renewed attention to a sexual harassment lawsuit brought against him in 2016....
Weather Is Turning Into a
Major Issue at Olympics
Feb 14, 2018 7:42 AM CST
Weather Is Turning Into a Major Issue at Olympics
It's too windy to shoot straight
- Weather played havoc with the Winter Olympics again on Wednesday, with fierce winds forcing authorities to close the Olympic Park in Gangneung, near South Korea's east coast. Officials began evacuating the park around 3pm, urging visitors to go indoors, NBC Chicago reports. The wind caused the women's slalom...
Ski Great Is Finally
an Olympic Champ
Feb 13, 2018 8:25 AM CST
Ski Great Is Finally an Olympic Champ
Austria's Marcel Hirscher is 'super happy'
- The man sometimes called the "world's greatest skier" scored his first Olympic gold Tuesday. Austrian racer Marcel Hirscher, who scored a record six consecutive World Cup victories, won the men's combined with a time of 2:06:52, had previously scored no higher than silver in Sochi,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Emmett Till's Family Finds 1955 Warrant, Calls for Arrest
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Donald Trump No Longer in Contempt
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.