Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Experiments Suggest Toll
of Distracted Driving Is Higher
Jul 28, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Experiments Suggest Toll of Distracted Driving Is Higher
Research shows brief impairment after trying to multitask at the wheel
- Research into distracted driving has found reason to think it's more of a problem than data and past studies have shown. And distracted driving already is linked to numerous fatal accidents—more than 3,500 of them in the US in 2021. The research published in the
Problematic Data Hamper
Distracted Driving Battle
Mar 19, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Problematic Data Hamper Distracted Driving Battle
Coalition plans to use technology to address what NTSB calls an 'epidemic'
- The methods of collecting the data are so flawed that it's not clear how many road deaths are caused by distracted driving, says the vice chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board. But Bruce Landsberg is sure of this much: "This is an epidemic." The toll goes...
Video Call Busted
by His Seat Belt
in case you missed it
May 9, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Lawmaker on Video Call Busted by His Seat Belt
State Sen. Andrew Brennerd drives while Zooming, on day Ohio unveils distracted-driving bill
- On Monday, House Bill 283 was introduced in Ohio in a bid to tamp down on distracted driving by banning texting, taking photos, livestreaming, or otherwise using an electronic device while behind the wheel. That same day, a state senator was busted doing just that during a virtual meeting of...
State Senator on Zoom Call:
Yeah, I'm Breaking the Law
Apr 7, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
State Senator on Zoom Call: Yeah, I'm Breaking the Law
Rebecca Saldana admitted she attended virtual hearing while driving in Washington state
- Washington state Sen. Rebecca Saldana has voted in support of penalties for distracted driving. She's also vice chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, which makes it especially surprising that she opted to break a distracted-driving law during a virtual hearing of that committee on Tuesday. The Democrat representing parts...
Investigators: State AG Was
Distracted During Deadly Crash
Nov 2, 2020 3:32 PM CST
Investigators: State AG Was Distracted During Deadly Crash
But what distracted Ravnsborg hasn't been revealed
- The investigation into the fatal crash involving South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg is nearly complete, the state's governor and public safety secretary said in a Monday press conference. The big finding is that Ravnsborg was distracted when he struck and killed a pedestrian on Sept. 12—a crash...
Trucker Set Down Coffee Mug,
Allegedly Caused Fatal Crash
Jan 6, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Trucker Set Down Coffee Mug, Allegedly Caused Fatal Crash
Driver charged after 3 were killed in Indiana
- Police in Indiana say a fatal crash on an interstate happened after a trucker took his eyes off the road to set down his coffee mug, reports Fox News . The crash occurred Sunday morning on I-65 when a semi plowed into eight vehicles that had slowed down ahead, says the...
New Cameras Have One
Goal: Catch Drivers on Phones
Sep 24, 2019 12:11 PM CDT
New Cameras Have One Goal: Catch Drivers on Phones
Australia's New South Wales may be the first to employ the technology
- Australia's most populous state is trying to get people to put down their phones while driving by rolling out cameras to prosecute distracted motorists. New South Wales Roads Minister Andrew Constance says his is the first jurisdiction in the world to use such technology to punish drivers distracted by...
Cops Go Undercover in Georgia
Jul 21, 2019 6:15 PM CDT
Cops Go Undercover in Georgia
Police hand out tickets under the state's hands-free law
- Drivers in Cobb County, Georgia got a little surprise this week when construction workers turned out to be undercover cops, CBS News reports. The helmet-wearing officers aimed to stop drivers from using smartphones behind the wheel, and wrote 170 tickets at one crossing alone in only a few hours, mostly...
Teen Driver Who Killed 2
Must Speak Publicly 25 Times
Jun 3, 2019 3:41 AM CDT
Teen Driver Who Killed 2 Must Speak Publicly 25 Times
Callison Mae Olson will also have to serve 60 days in jail
- A Minnesota teenager who killed a former police officer and his university professor wife after being distracted by her phone has been sentenced to 60 days in jail—and 25 speaking engagements on the dangers of distracted driving. Callison Mae Olson, now 18, was 17 at the time of last...
Drive a Stick
Mar 25, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
To Make Roads Safer, Make People Drive a Stick
It's tough to shift and text, op-ed points out
- An op-ed in the
New York Times
makes the case for a low-tech solution to the problem of distracted driving: Embrace the stick shift. Drivers have to pay attention to actual driving when operating a manual transmission, writes Vatsal Thakkar, a clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at NYU. "A...
Cop Pulled Up
to a Light. In
the Car Next to
Him, a 'Glow'
Jun 4, 2018 10:35 AM CDT
Cop Pulled Up to a Light. In the Car Next to Him, a 'Glow'
Canadian woman who used Apple Watch found guilty of distracted driving
- A Canadian woman says she was just checking the time, a police officer says her mind wasn't fully on driving, and an Ontario judge has sided with the cop. The
reports Victoria Ambrose was found guilty of breaking a distracted-driving law, after a University of Guelph police...
Traffic Law Cracks Down on
Holding Phones, Coffee in WA
Jul 24, 2017 4:33 PM CDT
Traffic Law Cracks Down on Holding Phones, Coffee in WA
New distracted driving law went into effect Sunday
- Washington state is cracking down on texting and eating at the wheel with a new law that went into effect Sunday. The new “Driving Under the Influence of Electronics” law puts stricter restrictions on the use of handheld devices in cars, reports the
. Even when stopped at...
Out of Dad's Grief, NY
Mulls a 'Textalyzer' Bill
May 14, 2017 10:07 AM CDT
Out of Dad's Grief, NY Mulls a 'Textalyzer' Bill
Dad who lost son to texting driver want cops to be able to examine phone data at scene
- When Ben Lieberman's 19-year-old son died in a head-on collision in New York, he sued to get phone records showing the driver of the car his son was in had been texting. Lieberman is channeling his grief into a proposal that would allow New York police at accident scenes...
'Damn Near Everybody'
Uses Phones While Driving
Apr 18, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
'Damn Near Everybody' Uses Phones While Driving
Zendrive shares concerning numbers in largest distracted-driving analysis yet
- An eyebrow-raising new study assesses the extent of distracted driving, with stats revealing just how many people use their cellphones while behind the wheel. "Damn near everybody … damn near all the time,"
concludes after reviewing the Zendrive report, which the driving analytics company says is the...
Witness: Driver Was Texting
Before Crash That Killed 13
Apr 1, 2017 8:22 AM CDT
Witness: Driver Was Texting Before Crash That Killed 13
There's no statewide Texas law against it
- A witness says the driver of a pickup truck that collided with a church minibus in rural Texas, killing 13 people, acknowledged he had been texting while driving—highlighting the dangers of sending messages on smartphones while behind the wheel. Texas Department of Public Safety Sgt. Conrad Hein wouldn't...
Driver Kills Man While Allegedly
Texting, Gets 4 Days in Jail
Oct 18, 2016 9:05 AM CDT
Driver Kills Man While Allegedly Texting, Gets 4 Days in Jail
Judge advises teacher to educate others about distracted driving
- A Minnesota woman who struck and killed a man while allegedly texting and driving will spend just four days in jail over two years. As part of a plea deal, Le Sueur County Judge Mark Vandelist on Monday sentenced Susan Ann Russo to four days behind bars, 40 hours of...
NJ Weighs Big
Fines for Distracted
Drivers (but Coffee
Is Likely Safe)
Aug 8, 2016 3:24 PM CDT
NJ Weighs Big Fines for Distracted Drivers (but Coffee Is Likely Safe)
Bill generates a lot of attention
- A New Jersey lawmaker wants to slap stiff fines on motorists guilty of distracted driving, which his bill defines as "any activity unrelated to the actual operation of a motor vehicle in a manner that interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle." A story at NJ.com...
Right Into Police
Jul 20, 2016 1:52 PM CDT
Driver Pokemon-Goes Right Into Police Car: Cops
'That's what I get for playing this dumb-a-- game': distracted Baltimore driver
- Even a Legendary may not be able to get a young man from Baltimore out of trouble after his SUV ran into a police car early Monday while he was allegedly playing Pokemon Go, the
notes body-camera video was released that shows a Toyota RAV4...
Texting on Road Impairs
Our 'Sixth Sense'
May 13, 2016 12:58 PM CDT
Texting on Road Impairs Our 'Sixth Sense'
It's worse than other forms of distraction, says study
- There are all sorts of ways a person can be distracted at the wheel—kids screeching, sleep deprivation, arguing—and they predate cell phones. But research in the journal
pits two types of distraction (being "emotional" or "absent-minded") against texting and finds the latter far...
Be Liable for
Texting a Driver
May 9, 2016 11:16 AM CDT
You Could Be Liable for Texting a Driver
Distracted-driving laws still murky, but more onus being placed on message senders
- Court rulings in Pennsylvania and New Jersey are taking texting-while-driving laws down a new road, opening the door to not only holding the offending driver liable for a car accident, but perhaps also the person texting the driver, Consumerist reports. In neither case has anyone (yet) had to legally...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.