Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Gardener Finds Stolen
$66M Painting Stashed in Wall
Dec 12, 2019 4:58 AM CST
Gardener Finds Stolen $66M Painting Stashed in Wall
Klimt disappeared almost 23 years ago
- A Gustav Klimt painting stolen almost 23 years ago might have been hidden all this time inside an Italian gallery's walls. A gardener at the Ricci Oddi modern art gallery in the northern city of Piacenza told Italian state TV on Tuesday he was clearing ivy from the gallery'...
at 13 Could
Nov 13, 2019 5:15 PM CST
Rare Portrait of Mozart at 13 Could Bring $1M
Christie's to auction the 1770 painting this month
- A 1770 portrait of a young Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart will be sold at auction this month, and Christie's has set a guide price of as much as $1.3 million. The Austrian composer sat for the portrait while traveling in Italy with his father when he was 13, CNN...
Prince Charles Entangled
in $136M Art Fraud Case
Nov 4, 2019 5:35 AM CST
Prince Charles Entangled in $136M Art Fraud Case
Forgeries were allegedly loaned to his charity
- Prince Charles and his charity have been caught up in a royally big scandal over an alleged art hoax involving paintings supposedly worth $136 million. The Claude Monet, Salvador Dali, and Pablo Picasso paintings were loaned to Dumfries House, the headquarters of the Prince's Foundation, by businessman James Stunt,...
Painting That Was
Almost Thrown Away
Sells for $26.6M
Oct 28, 2019 4:01 AM CDT
Painting That Was Almost Thrown Away Sells for $26.6M
Elderly Frenchwoman kept it in her kitchen
- An incredibly rare medieval painting hit the auction block Sunday—and it was apparently none the worse for the decades it spent hanging over the hot plate in the kitchen of an elderly Frenchwoman, who thought it was a religious icon from Greece or Russia. It was in fact one...
Upstate NY Museum 'Upset' to
Discover Painting's Origin
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 27, 2019 2:43 PM CDT
Upstate NY Museum 'Upset' to Discover Painting's Origin
A Nazi-looted painting stolen from Jewish family somehow ended up at the Arkell Museum
- A painting stolen by the Nazis from a Jewish family in the year Adolf Hitler was appointed chancellor of Germany has been found hiding in plain sight: on the wall of a museum in upstate New York. US industrialist Bartlett Arkell bought the painting—
by American artist Gari Melchers—...
It Was Hanging
in Her Kitchen.
She Found Out It's
in case you missed it
Sep 28, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
It Was Hanging in Her Kitchen. She Found Out It's Worth Millions
Elderly French woman's 'Christ Mocked' by Renaissance painter Cimabue could go for $6.6M
- An elderly French woman had the painting hanging above a hot plate in her kitchen, thinking it was just an old piece of art. When she finally got curious enough to get it appraised, she found out it was indeed old—and extremely valuable. That's because, per an old-masters...
Big Money for Monet
at Record-Shattering Auction
May 15, 2019 6:01 AM CDT
Big Money for Monet at Record-Shattering Auction
French artist's painting goes for $110.7M, a world record for impressionist art
- Like a fine wine, this Claude Monet piece just got better with age. Or more valuable, at any rate: An 1890 oil painting from the French artist's "Haystacks" (or "Meules") series sold Tuesday at Sotheby's for $110.7 million—the first time an impressionist painting...
Museum, Not Holocaust
Survivor's Kin, to Keep
May 1, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Museum, Not Holocaust Survivor's Kin, to Keep Nazi-Looted Art
Judge rules work by Camille Pissarro to stay in Spanish museum
- A federal judge in Los Angeles ruled Tuesday that a Spanish museum that acquired a priceless, Nazi-looted painting in 1993 is the work's rightful owner, and not the survivors of the Jewish woman who surrendered it 80 years ago to escape the Holocaust. Per the AP , although US District...
Artist Who Created
Apr 5, 2019 1:11 AM CDT
Artist Who Created Paint-by-Numbers Pictures Dies
Dan Robbins was inspired by da Vinci
- The artist who created the first paint-by-numbers pictures and helped turn the kits into an American sensation during the 1950s has died. Dan Robbins, whose works were dismissed by some critics but later celebrated by the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History, died Monday in Sylvania, Ohio, says...
Guess Who Hung This
in His Office
Oct 15, 2018 5:53 PM CDT
Guess Who Hung This in His Office
President Trump apparently likes 'The Republican Club' by Andy Thomas
- Maybe you spotted this in President Trump's
segment? It's a print hanging in his office called "The Republican Club" that depicts Trump fraternizing with other US presidents including Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and Abe Lincoln in a private club, the Daily Beast reports. The framed...
Sotheby's After $1.1M Sale:
'We've Just Been Banksy'ed'
Oct 6, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
Sotheby's After $1.1M Sale: 'We've Just Been Banksy'ed'
Auctioned painting self-destructed soon after sale went through
is saying it could be Banksy's "most jaw-dropping trick yet," and it would be hard to find anyone who disagrees. It happened Friday night at a Sotheby's auction in London, when the enigmatic street artist's 2006
Girl With Balloon
painting was sold off...
One of Art History's Famous
Nude Models Identified
in case you missed it
Sep 29, 2018 3:45 PM CDT
One of Art History's Famous Nude Models Identified
Gustave Courbet's model believed to have been dancer Constance Queniaux
- A French historian says he has inadvertently solved an enduring mystery in the world of art—the identity of Gustave Courbet's nude model in his 1866 painting
The Origin of the World
. For those unfamiliar, a headline at the Local notes that the painting features "art's most...
Discovery of Da Vinci Work
Began With Real-Estate Listing
Sep 20, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Discovery of Da Vinci Work Began With Real-Estate Listing
It was spotted, restored, discovered to be from Leonardo; then it sold for $450M
- A long-lost da Vinci sold at auction last year for a record $450.3 million, quite a jump from the $120 price it fetched in 1958, before anyone knew it was a work by the master. The
Wall Street Journal
has done some detective work to piece together the fascinating...
Doc Says Disease,
Not Da Vinci, Shaped
Mona Lisa's Smile
Sep 11, 2018 11:15 AM CDT
Doc Says Disease, Not Da Vinci, Shaped Mona Lisa's Smile
Hypothyroidism theory points to swelled hands, weak facial muscles
- The secret behind the world's most famous smile apparently escaped as a cardiologist spent 1.5 hours in line for a full viewing at the Louvre. "The enigma of the 'Mona Lisa' can be resolved by a simple medical diagnosis of a hypothyroidism-related illness," Mandeep Mehra...
$100M Stolen Painting Hung
in Couple's Bedroom for Years
Aug 4, 2018 1:30 PM CDT
$100M Stolen Painting Hung in Couple's Bedroom for Years
But did Jerry and Rita Alter brazenly steal it from the University of Arizona Museum?
- Jerry and Rita Alter were worldly, fascinating, and kept a stolen Willem de Kooning painting in their bedroom—but did they actually steal it? A few clues may tell the tale. The Alters had moved from New York City to rural New Mexico in their 50s when, the day after...
'Ivan the Terrible' Painting
Viciously Attacked—But Why?
May 27, 2018 3:30 PM CDT
'Ivan the Terrible' Painting Viciously Attacked—But Why?
Russian attacker says he was 'overwhelmed'
- Maybe it was the vodka—or the crazy in Ivan the Terrible's eyes. Whatever, a drunk Russian has assaulted one of his of his country's most famous paintings,
Ivan the Terrible and His Son Ivan on November 16, 1581
, reports the
. The government released video of the...
Painting Declared Obscene
in 1917 Sells for $157M
May 15, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Painting Declared Obscene in 1917 Sells for $157M
Modigliani nude breaks Sotheby's record
- A nude painting considered too obscene to display in Paris a century ago sold at an auction in New York City for $157.2 million Monday night, setting a new record for Sotheby's auction house but not for artist Amadeo Modigliani, the
Nu couche (sur le cote
$70M Picasso Damaged
May 14, 2018 9:39 AM CDT
$70M Picasso Damaged Before Auction
Owner Steve Wynn has been down this road before
- Pricey mistake: A Picasso worth an estimated $70 million had to be yanked from an auction at Christie's this week because it sustained damage as workers were preparing it. It's not clear how bad the damage is to
, or even how the damage...
30 Years Later, Stolen
Painting Being Returned
Apr 13, 2018 10:23 AM CDT
30 Years Later, Stolen Painting Being Returned
Marc Chagall work, stolen from a NYC apartment in 1988, is worth up to $900K
- From the time his father purchased it for $50 in 1913, Ernest Heller was free to take in the dark brushstrokes of one of Marc Chagall's earliest works, "Othello and Desdemona." That changed when the 1911 painting and additional works by Renoir and Picasso were stolen from...
Mar 19, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Jim Carrey Tweets an Unflattering Painting
It's thought to be of Sarah Huckabee Sanders
- Jim Carrey is being criticized on social media for a portrait he painted that is believed to be White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders. The actor and comedian on Saturday tweeted the painting (see it here ) with the caption: "This is the portrait of a so-called Christian...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Report Details Abuse Coverup by Southern Baptist Leaders
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.