Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
This Humpback Whale
Got a Much-Needed Rescue
Nov 6, 2023 10:35 AM CST
This Humpback Whale Got a Much-Needed Rescue
'Hog-tied' juvenile in Alaska had gotten caught up in a 300lb crab pot, and lines
- When Alaska fishermen dropped a 300lb crab pot in the waters close to Glacier Bay National Park, they were probably hoping to catch, well, crabs. What they got instead was a much bigger catch—though not in a good way. As NPR reports, the crab pot and its lines got...
Crab Season Is Axed, but
Will Go On
Oct 19, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
Crab Season Is Axed, but
Will Go On
Producers say captains will seek other catches
- The snow crab season in Alaska has been canceled but producers say the move won't scuttle hit Discovery reality show
, which is now in its 18th season. Producers say the show's 19th season will involve other, presumably less deadly, catches. "Fans can anticipate another great...
Alaska Makes Costly Decision
to Cancel Snow Crab Season
Oct 15, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Alaska Makes Costly Decision to Cancel Snow Crab Season
Officials wants to give falling population a chance to recover
- There will be no winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea this year, Alaskan agencies have announced, blaming the plunging crustacean population. The decision deals a major financial blow to crews, the industry, and the state's economy as a whole, CNBC reports. "It's going to be...
5 Missing After Crab Boat
Sinks in Gulf of Alaska
Jan 2, 2020 4:27 AM CST
5 Missing After Crab Boat Sinks in Gulf of Alaska
There was a 'careful consideration of survival probability'
- After an effort that spanned 1,400 square miles over 20 hours, the Coast Guard has suspended its search for survivors from a crabbing boat that sank in gale-force winds in the Gulf of Alaska on New Year's Eve. The Coast Guard says two "extremely hypothermic" members of...
Tragedy in Treacherous
Waters Featured on
Jan 10, 2019 12:40 PM CST
Tragedy in Treacherous Waters Featured on
Crabbing vessel capsizes, killing all 3 onboard
- A commercial crabbing boat capsized in rough waters off the Oregon coast this week, killing the three men aboard and sending a shock wave through a seafaring community already struggling from a monthlong delay to the annual crabbing season. The Coast Guard said the vessel, the Mary B. II, overturned...
Alaska Coast Guard Searching
for 6 From Missing Crab Boat
Feb 13, 2017 12:11 AM CST
Alaska Coast Guard Searching for 6 From Missing Crab Boat
It vanished in choppy seas Saturday
- The Coast Guard is searching the Bering Sea and people on the tiny Alaskan island of St. George are searching the shore for any sign of six crew members from a missing crab boat. The 95-foot
was on its way to begin fishing for snow crab when an...
Feb 10, 2010 2:04 AM CST
Popular Cornelia Marie skipper Phil Harris dead at 53
- Affable captain Phil Harris of Discovery Channel's hit reality series
has died at the age of 53. The man often called the toughest skipper in America suffered a stroke while offloading his catch from his boat the Cornelia Marie in Alaska last month and never fully recovered, AP...
'Deadliest Catch' Capt.
Feb 2, 2010 5:22 AM CST
'Deadliest Catch' Capt. Suffers Stroke
Captain Harris flown to Anchorage for surgery
- A captain from Discovery Channel's popular "Deadliest Catch" series was flown to a hospital in Anchorage after suffering a stroke. Capt. Phil Harris, 53, underwent a 12-hour emergency surgery and was placed in a medically induced coma. He was unloading the Cornela Marie in Saint Paul Island in Alaska...
Popular on Newser
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.