Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Used Bitcoin
to Try to Buy Killer
Chemical: 'I Plan
to Use It Soon'
Apr 7, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
He Used Bitcoin to Try to Buy Killer Chemical: 'I Plan to Use It Soon'
Jason Siesser of Missouri apparently had had a difficult breakup that may have spurred purchase
- A Missouri man was sentenced Tuesday to 12 years behind bars after prosecutors say he tried to buy off the dark web a dangerous chemical weapon that could kill hundreds, using cryptocurrency for his purchase. Per court documents cited in a Justice Department release , Jason William Siesser, now 46, pleaded...
Soldier Gets 11 Years for
Detonating Chemical Weapon
Sep 25, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Soldier Gets 11 Years for Detonating Chemical Weapon
'Everything I had worked so hard for, given my all for, was ripped away from me,' one victim says
- He'd faced up to life in prison, but Ryan Keith Taylor got a decidedly lighter sentence after pleading guilty to setting off a bomb near a US Army post in April 2017. CNN reports the 24-year-old got hit with just over 11 years behind bars for "manufacturing, possessing,...
Why Assad Is Still
Able to Kill With Gas
Apr 16, 2018 8:57 AM CDT
Why Assad Is Still Able to Kill With Gas
That there was no gas leak at the target sites isn't a great sign
- If your takeaway from the reports on Friday's air strikes on Syria's chemical weapons facilities by US, French, and British forces was that President Bashar al-Assad's ability to conduct future chemical strikes had been eliminated, you'd be wrong. In an analysis titled, "A Hard Lesson...
Apr 14, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Radio Pundit Openly Weeps Over Syria Airstrikes
- Pundits are calling the latest airstrike in Syria everything from "a restrained operation" to a risky move that could throw the US into "a cycle of escalation" in the Syrian conflict. Supporters of President Trump from Fox News and other conservative outlets were surprisingly negative, with Infowars' Alex...
Trump: US, Allies Striking
Syria Over Chemical Weapons
Apr 13, 2018 9:16 PM CDT
Trump: US, Allies Striking Syria Over Chemical Weapons
President says US prepared to 'sustain' pressure
- The US, France, and Britain together launched military strikes in Syria to punish President Bashar Assad for a suspected chemical attack against civilians and to deter him from doing it again, President Trump announced Friday. The AP reports that explosions lit up the skies over Damascus, the Syrian capital, as...
May Summons Cabinet
to Debate Syria Strike
Apr 12, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
May Summons Cabinet to Debate Syria Strike
She says use of chemical weapons 'cannot go unchallenged'
- British Prime Minister Theresa May summoned her Cabinet back from vacation Thursday to discuss military action against Syria over an alleged chemical weapons attack. May has indicated she wants Britain to join in any US-led strikes in response to the attack in Douma. She has said "all the indications"...
Russia Warns US on Syria.
Trump's Response: a Taunt
Apr 11, 2018 6:42 AM CDT
Russia Warns US on Syria. Trump's Response: a Taunt
President say 'get ready'
- If the US tries to launch missiles at Syria, they will be shot down and the warships or planes they're launched from will become targets, Russia's ambassador to Lebanon said Tuesday night, echoing earlier warnings from Moscow. "If there is a strike by the Americans, then …...
Russia Says Israel, Not US,
Hit Syria Base
Apr 9, 2018 6:29 AM CDT
Russia Says Israel, Not US, Hit Syria Base
Strike was initially blamed on 'American aggression'
- Syria initially denounced "American aggression," but Russia says Israel, not the US, was to blame for a missile strike on a Syrian air base early Monday believed to have killed at least 14 people, including Iranian fighters. Syria now also accuses Israel of being behind the strike on...
Syria Slams 'US Aggression'
as Missiles Hit Air Base
Apr 9, 2018 2:53 AM CDT
Syria Slams 'US Aggression' as Missiles Hit Air Base
Activists say strike killed at least 14
- In what Syria's state-run news agency says was probably an act of "American aggression," missiles hit an air base in central Syria early Monday. Syrian activists say the strike killed at least 14 people, including Iranian citizens and fighters with Iran-backed groups, the AP reports. The US...
Trump: 'Big Price'
Will Be Paid for
Apr 8, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Trump: 'Big Price' Will Be Paid for 'Mindless CHEMICAL Attack'
The president hits Twitter after Syria strike
- President Trump responded to news of a Syrian chemical-weapons attack near Damascus with his own weapon of choice: the tweet. "Many dead, including women and children, in mindless CHEMICAL attack in Syria," he tweeted Sunday, per CNN . "Area of atrocity is in lockdown and encircled by Syrian...
In a Syrian
a Fresh Horror
Apr 8, 2018 6:12 AM CDT
In a Syrian Rebel-Held Town, a Fresh Horror
Rescuers say at least 40 are dead in apparent chemical attack
- Syrian opposition activists and rescuers said Sunday that a poison gas attack on a rebel-held town near the capital has killed at least 40 people, reports the AP . The alleged attack in Douma occurred late Saturday amid a resumed offensive by Syrian government forces after the collapse of a truce...
Russia Tries to Join
Spy Poisoning Probe,
Apr 5, 2018 12:22 AM CDT
Russia Tries to Join Spy Poisoning Probe, Gets Rejected
Brits call proposal 'ludicrous'
- The international chemical weapons watchdog on Wednesday rejected Russia's call for a joint investigation with Britain of the nerve-agent poisonings of an ex-spy and his daughter in England. But Russia said the number of countries that abstained from the vote suggested many have doubts about Britain's allegations that...
Nerve Agent That
More Toxic Than VX
Mar 13, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
Nerve Agent That Poisoned Ex-Spy More Toxic Than VX
Novichok agents developed in secret in Russia in the 1970s and '80s
- British Prime Minister Theresa May says the chemical used to poison Russian ex-spy Sergei Skripal and his adult daughter in England was a Novichok nerve agent, tied to Russia not only through its name. Novichok—meaning "newcomer" in Russian—is a class of chemical agents developed in the Soviet...
US: North Korea Used Chemical
Agent to Kill Kim's Half Brother
Mar 7, 2018 12:33 AM CST
US: North Korea Used Chemical Agent to Kill Kim's Half Brother
Additional sanctions have been imposed against Pyongyang
- The US has imposed additional sanctions on North Korea after determining the country used chemical weapons to assassinate Kim Jong Un's estranged half brother in Malaysia last year, Reuters reports. Kim Jong Nam died after two women smeared his face with the banned nerve agent VX in the Kuala...
UN Sees Secret Partnership
Between North Korea, Syria
Feb 27, 2018 1:47 PM CST
UN Sees Secret Partnership Between North Korea, Syria
Kim Jong Un may be selling Bashar al-Assad parts for chemical weapons
- Two leaders considered to be pariahs by much of the world may be providing each other much-needed help—with dire consequences. A comprehensive new UN report alleges that North Korea is selling equipment to Syria that can be used in chemical weapons production, reports the
New York Times
. Specifically, the...
US Speaks Out
Syria Chemical Attack
Feb 2, 2018 5:26 AM CST
US Speaks Out After Suspected Syria Chemical Attack
Officials suspect regime is 'evolving' new weapons
- The Syrian regime not only kept some of its chemical weapons after a 2013 disarmament deal, it has apparently "evolved" new types of weapons and continues to use them on rebel-held civilian areas, Trump administration officials warn. The officials, speaking under condition of anonymity, tell Reuters that the administration...
Afraid of North Korea's Nukes?
It May Have Something Worse
Nov 12, 2017 12:15 PM CST
Afraid of North Korea's Nukes? It May Have Something Worse
Harvard report suggests biological weapons are the real threat
- President Trump calls him "rocket man" —but what if the nuclear bomb we're fearing isn't what we should be afraid of when it comes to North Korea? At FiveThirtyEight , Michael Wilner makes the case that what we really should be worried about are biological and chemical...
Investigators: Deadly Attack
in Syria Used Sarin
Jun 30, 2017 7:48 AM CDT
Investigators: Deadly Attack in Syria Used Sarin
Findings will be part of UN investigation
- An investigation by the international chemical weapons watchdog has concluded that sarin nerve gas was used in a deadly April 4 attack on a Syrian town, the latest confirmation of chemical weapons use in Syria's civil war. The attack on Khan Sheikhoun in Syria's Idlib province left more...
Syria, Iran, Russia Push
Back Against US Warning
Jun 27, 2017 1:23 PM CDT
Syria, Iran, Russia Push Back Against US Warning
Syria says it isn't planning to use chemical weapons, which it says it doesn't have
- Late Monday, the White House took the unusual step of issuing a preemptive warning against Syria, which it claims is preparing to launch a chemical weapons attack. The
Wall Street Journal
reports the Trump administration is basing that assertion on evidence from the same air base that the US hit...
US Issues Unprecedented
'Pre-Warning' to Syria
Jun 27, 2017 6:36 AM CDT
US Issues Unprecedented 'Pre-Warning' to Syria
White House warns Assad's regime about carrying out another chemical attack
- President Bashar al-Assad's regime will pay a "heavy price" if it carries out another chemical weapons attack in Syria, the White House said in an unusual warning Monday night. The White House statement said the US has "identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack" that would...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Bannon: Make My Court Documents Public
Dump These Antiperspirant Sprays ASAP If You Have Them
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.