Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
North Korea's Missile
Launches Keep Coming
Jan 18, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea's Missile Launches Keep Coming
North Korea confirms 4th missile launch this month
North Korea said Tuesday it had conducted a test-firing of “tactical guided missiles,” a day after South Korea’s military detected the North launching two ballistic missiles into the sea. Monday’s test was North Korea’s fourth round of missile launches this month and the second...
Yeah, That Was
Jan 6, 2022 12:25 AM CST
North Korea: Yeah, That Was a Hypersonic Missile
Pyongyang says it hit a target 435 miles away
North Korea claimed Thursday that its Wednesday launch was the second successful test flight of a hypersonic missile. The official Korean Central News Agency said the Central Committee of the ruling Workers’ Party expressed “great satisfaction” at the results of the missile test, which was observed by leading...
the World' Missile
Test Raises Alarms
Nov 18, 2021 10:15 AM CST
China's 'Around the World' Missile Test Raises Alarms
'They look like a first-use weapon,' Gen. John Hyten says of hypersonic missile
- The second-highest figure in the US military says a hypersonic missile China tested in July "went around the world," raising the possibility of a surprise nuclear attack on the US. "They launched a long-range missile. It went around the world, dropped off a hypersonic glide vehicle that...
Israel Strikes Syria After
Missile Lands Near Reactor
Apr 22, 2021 12:07 AM CDT
Israel Strikes Syria After Missile Lands Near Reactor
Israeli media called it an 'errant' projectile
- A Syrian anti-aircraft missile landed in southern Israel early Thursday, setting off air raid sirens near the country's top-secret nuclear reactor, the Israeli military said. In response, it said it attacked the missile launcher and air-defense systems in neighboring Syria. It marked one of the most serious incidents of...
Americans in Saudi
Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Jan 23, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Embassy to Americans in Saudi Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Kingdom claims missile or drone interception in Riyadh, maybe launched by Yemen's Houthi rebels
- Saudi Arabia said Saturday it intercepted an apparent missile or drone attack over its capital, Riyadh, amid the kingdom's yearslong war against neighboring Yemen's Houthi rebels. Social media users posted video of what appeared to be an explosion in the air over Riyadh. Saudi state TV quoted authorities...
Clues to Huge Fireball Over
Tehran Come Via a Photo
Jun 27, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Clues to Huge Fireball Over Tehran Come Via a Photo
Analysts think explosion that shook Iran's capital originated at site near where missiles are made
- An explosion that rattled Iran’s capital came from an area in its eastern mountains that analysts believe hides an underground tunnel system and missile production sites, satellite photos showed Saturday. What exploded in the incident early Friday that sent a massive fireball into the sky near Tehran remains unclear,...
Now Aboard US Subs:
a Nuclear Policy 'Landmark'
Feb 4, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Now Aboard US Subs: a Nuclear Policy 'Landmark'
'Low-yield' long-range missile is first major addition to strategic nuclear arsenal in recent decades
- The US military has deployed a new addition to its nuclear arsenal—a long-range missile armed with a nuclear warhead of reduced destructive power. The so-called low-yield missile has been fitted atop an undisclosed number of Trident ballistic missiles carried aboard the Navy's Ohio-class submarines. The debut deployment aboard...
Report: Video Shows Missile
Hit Ukrainian Plane
Jan 10, 2020 6:53 AM CST
Report: Video Shows Missile Hit Ukrainian Plane
Iran denies Flight 752 was shot down
- Video shows that it was a missile, not mechanical failure, that brought down Ukrainian International Airlines Flight 752 near Tehran on Wednesday, according to the
New York Times .
The video shows what is believed to be the moment an Iranian anti-aircraft missile hit the passenger plane. The video shows that...
Ukraine Not Ruling Out
Missile in Jet Crash
Jan 9, 2020 11:16 AM CST
Ukraine Not Ruling Out Missile in Jet Crash
'Too many things are unclear,' says one official about Iranian tragedy
- Iran says it's confident that some kind of mechanical failure brought down a Ukrainian passenger jet near Tehran this week. Ukraine, however, isn't so sure. Its investigators are looking into the possibility that a missile or perhaps an explosion inside the jet as part of a terrorist attack...
Iran: We Just Fired 'Tens'
of Missiles at US Bases
Jan 7, 2020 5:48 PM CST
Iran: We Just Fired 'Tens' of Missiles at US Bases
But whether they've done any damage is unclear
- Iran struck back at the US for the killing of a top Iranian general early Wednesday, firing a series of surface-to-surface missiles at multiple Iraqi air bases housing US troops and warning the US and its allies in the region not to retaliate. US officials confirmed airstrikes at the al-Asad...
Just After Midnight, NK 'Gift'
Was Sent. Except It Wasn't
Dec 27, 2019 6:10 AM CST
Just After Midnight, NK 'Gift' Was Sent. Except It Wasn't
Public broadcaster NHK sent out incorrect report that North Korea had launched a missile
- North Korea's " Christmas gift " to the US never came (at least that we know of), but a news alert sent in Japan early Friday temporarily scared people into thinking the gift had been delivered. Reuters reports that a few minutes after midnight, public broadcaster NHK put out...
Lived Up to
Dec 14, 2019 9:00 AM CST
North Korea: 'Rocket Man' Lived Up to His Nickname
Pyongyang says its latest missile test was 'crucial'
- North Korea has done it again, or so it says. Pyongyang announced Saturday it had conducted a "crucial test" at its site for long-range rockets—an apparent chess move with Washington amid their stalled denuclearization talks, NBC News reports. The Korean Central News Agency didn't provide details or...
Missile That Was
Dec 12, 2019 4:47 PM CST
Pentagon Tests Missile That Was Long Banned
The US-Russia treaty banning it was abandoned last summer
- The Pentagon on Thursday flight-tested a missile that had been banned under a treaty that the United States and Russia abandoned last summer, the AP reports. Some US arms control advocates said the test risks an unnecessary arms race with Moscow. The prototype missile was configured to be armed with...
Iran Claims Attack of
Oct 11, 2019 7:37 AM CDT
Iran Claims Attack of 'Dangerous Adventurism'
Saudi Arabia hasn't yet commented on reported missile strike off its coast against tanker
- Two missiles struck an Iranian tanker traveling through the Red Sea off the coast of Saudi Arabia Friday, Iranian officials said, the latest incident in the region amid months of heightened tensions between Tehran and the US. Saudi officials didn't immediately respond to requests for comment, per the AP...
New Weapons Unveiled
as China Marks 70 Years
of Communist Rule
Oct 1, 2019 12:14 AM CDT
New Weapons Unveiled as China Marks 70 Years of Communist Rule
'No force can stop the progress of the Chinese people,' Xi says at Beijing parade
- Trucks carrying weapons including a nuclear-capable missile designed to evade US defenses rumbled through Beijing on Tuesday as the Communist Party celebrated its 70th anniversary in power with a military parade that showcased its emergence as an increasingly ambitious global power. The military showed off China's most advanced weapons,...
Confusion Persists in Wake
of Russia's Mystery Explosion
Aug 13, 2019 1:27 PM CDT
Confusion Persists in Wake of Russia's Mystery Explosion
Residents of nearby village of Nyonoksa were told to evacuate, then the order was axed
- More mystery in Russia in the wake of a deadly missile explosion at a navy testing range last week: The Russian military on Tuesday told residents of a village near the range to evacuate but cancelled the order hours later, adding to the uncertainty and confusion fueled by the explosion,...
Newest Reported Launches by
N. Korea a 'Warning' to US
Aug 7, 2019 8:06 AM CDT
Newest Reported Launches by N. Korea a 'Warning' to US
Kim Jong Un oversaw demo of 2 missiles in response to US, S. Korea's joint military exercises
- North Korea said Wednesday leader Kim Jong Un supervised a live-fire demonstration of newly developed short-range ballistic missiles meant to send a warning to the US and South Korea over their joint military exercises. KCNA said two missiles launched from a western airfield flew across the country and over the...
Turkey Just Got
Special Delivery That
Won't Make US Happy
Jul 12, 2019 10:11 AM CDT
Turkey Just Got Special Delivery That Won't Make US Happy
First shipment of Russian S-400 missile defense system has arrived in Ankara
- A special delivery arrived in Turkey's capital Friday: the first batch of equipment for a $2.5 billion Russian S-400 missile defense system. A source tells the TASS news agency that two more shipments are expected by the end of the summer and that Turkish missile operators are being...
Splits With Bolton,
N. Korea Pounces
May 27, 2019 10:37 AM CDT
After Trump Splits With Bolton, N. Korea Pounces
Foreign ministry rep calls him a 'war maniac,' 'human defect'
- President Trump acknowledged he was breaking with advisers Monday when he said he wasn't "personally bothered" by North Korea's recent short-range missile tests . "My people think it could have been a violation" but "I view it differently," the president said from Japan, per Reuters...
Photos Taken May 3
Added Fuel to Iran Fears
May 16, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Photos Taken May 3 Added Fuel to Iran Fears
'NYT': Photos show missiles on boats in Persian Gulf
- Non-essential Embassy staff members in Iraq have been told to leave , and there's been a report that the Pentagon could send 120,000 troops to the Middle East if tensions with Iran reach a breaking point. Now, a possible clue as to why the hubbub over Iran has suddenly...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Mass Killer Gives Nazi Salute at Parole Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.