Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: US Tweaked the
Weapons It Gave Ukraine
Dec 6, 2022 9:10 AM CST
Report: US Tweaked the Weapons It Gave Ukraine
'WSJ' reports US secretly modified rocket launchers to prevent firing of long-range missiles
- The Biden administration must not have been convinced by Ukraine's promise not to use US-provided weapons to strike Russia, as the
Wall Street Journal
reports that the Pentagon secretly modified advanced rocket launchers sent to the war-torn country to prevent them from firing long-range missiles. The US has sent...
AP Reporter Canned Over Story
on Deadly Missile in Poland
Nov 22, 2022 9:12 AM CST
AP Reporter Canned Over Story on Deadly Missile in Poland
James LaPorta cited anonymous US official who suggested missile was Russian; it was Ukrainian
- The world held its breath last week after a report suggested two missiles had been fired by Russia amid its war in Ukraine and killed two people in Poland—an incident that could have qualified as a breach against a NATO nation and possibly triggered a military response from western...
NATO, Poland: No, Missile
Wasn't Fired by Russia
Nov 16, 2022 8:14 AM CST
NATO, Poland: No, Missile Wasn't Fired by Russia
Jens Stoltenberg, Polish prez say fatal incident was most likely Ukrainian air defense missile
- First President Biden expressed doubt that a missile that killed two in Poland had been fired by Russia. Now, NATO's chief and Poland's president are doing the same. NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that there is "no indication" of a deliberate Russian attack and preliminary...
Russia Unleashes One
of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Nov 15, 2022 11:36 AM CST
Russia Unleashes One of Its Largest Assaults Yet
Missiles rain down from east to west in Ukraine, leaving many cities in the dark
- Russian airstrikes targeting energy and other facilities rocked Ukraine from east to west Tuesday, causing broad power blackouts. A senior official warned that the situation was "critical" and urged Ukrainians to "hang in there" as neighborhoods went dark, per the AP . The
describes the assault as...
Weapons From Iran
Oct 16, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
Russia Receiving Weapons From Iran
Missiles, attack drones are intended for attacks in Ukraine, officials say
- Iran has agreed to supply Russia with attack drones and missiles for use against Ukraine, US security officials said. The surface-to-surface missiles are intended to be employed against cities as well as Ukrainian troops, the
reports. The US military publicly stated that Iranian-made drones already have been used...
Ukraine: Russia Using Weapons
That Can Cause Mass Death
Jun 11, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Ukraine: Russia Using Weapons That Can Cause Mass Death
UK Defense Ministry: Missiles meant to destroy aircraft carriers can cause 'severe' damage on land
- Ukrainian and British officials warned Saturday that Russian forces are relying on weapons able to cause mass casualties as they try to make headway in capturing eastern Ukraine and fierce, prolonged fighting depletes resources on both sides. Russian bombers have likely been launching heavy 1960s-era anti-ship missiles in Ukraine, the...
It's Time for
Biden to Stop
May 27, 2022 11:27 AM CDT
It's Time for Biden to Stop 'Mollycoddling'
Critics say he needs to arm Ukraine for victory, not compromise
- America is spending billions of dollars to arm Ukraine, while holding back weapons that could provide victory over Russia—an apparent plan to force the two sides into a stalemate and give Ukraine more power at the bargaining table, the
reports. But not everyone is pleased with the strategy:...
Seoul: N. Korea Launches
Missiles After Biden Visit
May 25, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Seoul: N. Korea Launches Missiles After Biden Visit
Test of presumed ICBM, other missiles came as president was returning to DC after trip to region
- North Korea launched three missiles Wednesday morning, including an intercontinental ballistic missile, according to the South Korean military. The tests came on the heels of President Biden's visit to the region earlier this week. The first launch was probably a Hwasong-17, the largest known ICBM in the North's...
N. Korea Accused of Continuing
Its 'Provocative Streak'
May 7, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
N. Korea Accused of Continuing Its 'Provocative Streak'
South Korea says its neighbor launched ballistic missile on Saturday, likely from submarine
- North Korea flight-tested a ballistic missile that was likely fired from a submarine on Saturday, South Korea's military said, continuing a provocative streak in weapons demonstrations that may culminate with a nuclear test in the coming weeks or months. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launch...
May 7, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Report: DOD 'Vehemently' Objected to Passage in Esper Book
Pentagon didn't want ex-defense secretary to write about Trump wanting to fire missiles into Mexico
The Defense Department vetted all relevant claims Mark Esper made in his upcoming memoir, but it apparently wasn't thrilled with some of them. In fact, sources tell CNN Business that Pentagon officials were "vehemently" against the former defense secretary writing about then-President Trump suggesting in 2020 that...
With Tensions Rising, a New
Strike From North Korea
May 4, 2022 7:20 AM CDT
With Tensions Rising, a New Strike From North Korea
S. Korean, Japanese officials say the North fired ballistic missile toward waters off its eastern coast
- North Korea launched a ballistic missile toward its eastern waters on Wednesday, South Korean and Japanese officials said, days after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to bolster his nuclear arsenal "at the fastest possible pace" and threatened to use them against rivals. The launch, the North's...
Russia Is Using
a Novel Decoy Missile
Mar 15, 2022 11:42 AM CDT
Russia Is Using a Novel Decoy Missile
'New York Times' reports it may be why Ukraine has been struggling to intercept missiles
- Ukraine has won praise for its ability to blunt the progress of Russia's military—see this assessment in the Conversation —but footage from Kyiv and elsewhere makes clear that aerial bombardments are still exacting a massive toll. One reason, reports the
New York Times
, is that Ukraine's...
India Accidentally Fired
a Missile at Pakistan
Mar 11, 2022 12:08 PM CST
India Accidentally Fired a Missile at Pakistan
Says 'technical malfunction' caused missile firing into Punjab province
- Tensions between India and Pakistan haven't been too bad over the past few months, but a missile that landed this week in the eastern part of the latter country may have just raised ire again. Per Reuters , India acknowledges the missile originated within its borders, but a statement from...
North Korea's Missile
Launches Keep Coming
Jan 18, 2022 12:00 AM CST
North Korea's Missile Launches Keep Coming
North Korea confirms 4th missile launch this month
North Korea said Tuesday it had conducted a test-firing of “tactical guided missiles,” a day after South Korea’s military detected the North launching two ballistic missiles into the sea. Monday’s test was North Korea’s fourth round of missile launches this month and the second...
Yeah, That Was
Jan 6, 2022 12:25 AM CST
North Korea: Yeah, That Was a Hypersonic Missile
Pyongyang says it hit a target 435 miles away
North Korea claimed Thursday that its Wednesday launch was the second successful test flight of a hypersonic missile. The official Korean Central News Agency said the Central Committee of the ruling Workers’ Party expressed “great satisfaction” at the results of the missile test, which was observed by leading...
the World' Missile
Test Raises Alarms
Nov 18, 2021 10:15 AM CST
China's 'Around the World' Missile Test Raises Alarms
'They look like a first-use weapon,' Gen. John Hyten says of hypersonic missile
- The second-highest figure in the US military says a hypersonic missile China tested in July "went around the world," raising the possibility of a surprise nuclear attack on the US. "They launched a long-range missile. It went around the world, dropped off a hypersonic glide vehicle that...
Israel Strikes Syria After
Missile Lands Near Reactor
Apr 22, 2021 12:07 AM CDT
Israel Strikes Syria After Missile Lands Near Reactor
Israeli media called it an 'errant' projectile
- A Syrian anti-aircraft missile landed in southern Israel early Thursday, setting off air raid sirens near the country's top-secret nuclear reactor, the Israeli military said. In response, it said it attacked the missile launcher and air-defense systems in neighboring Syria. It marked one of the most serious incidents of...
Americans in Saudi
Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Jan 23, 2021 5:30 AM CST
Embassy to Americans in Saudi Capital: 'Stay Alert'
Kingdom claims missile or drone interception in Riyadh, maybe launched by Yemen's Houthi rebels
- Saudi Arabia said Saturday it intercepted an apparent missile or drone attack over its capital, Riyadh, amid the kingdom's yearslong war against neighboring Yemen's Houthi rebels. Social media users posted video of what appeared to be an explosion in the air over Riyadh. Saudi state TV quoted authorities...
Clues to Huge Fireball Over
Tehran Come Via a Photo
Jun 27, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Clues to Huge Fireball Over Tehran Come Via a Photo
Analysts think explosion that shook Iran's capital originated at site near where missiles are made
- An explosion that rattled Iran’s capital came from an area in its eastern mountains that analysts believe hides an underground tunnel system and missile production sites, satellite photos showed Saturday. What exploded in the incident early Friday that sent a massive fireball into the sky near Tehran remains unclear,...
Now Aboard US Subs:
a Nuclear Policy 'Landmark'
Feb 4, 2020 9:05 AM CST
Now Aboard US Subs: a Nuclear Policy 'Landmark'
'Low-yield' long-range missile is first major addition to strategic nuclear arsenal in recent decades
- The US military has deployed a new addition to its nuclear arsenal—a long-range missile armed with a nuclear warhead of reduced destructive power. The so-called low-yield missile has been fitted atop an undisclosed number of Trident ballistic missiles carried aboard the Navy's Ohio-class submarines. The debut deployment aboard...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.