Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Priest Charged 24 Years After
Admitting to Child Sex Acts
Sep 8, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Priest Charged 24 Years After Admitting to Child Sex Acts
Lawrence Hecker indicted on rape, kidnapping charges in Louisiana
- A 91-year-old retired Catholic priest, previously named by the Archdiocese of New Orleans as being "credibly accused" of sexual abuse, is now facing charges over the alleged sexual assault of a teenage boy in 1975. A Louisiana state grand jury has indicted Lawrence Hecker on felony charges including aggravated...
Settles Priest Sex Abuse Case
Aug 10, 2023 4:09 AM CDT
Philadelphia Archdiocese Settles Priest Sex Abuse Case
Victim of now-deceased priest will get $3.5M
- The Archdiocese of Philadelphia will pay $3.5 million to settle a civil case alleging a now-deceased priest sexually assaulted a teenage boy nearly two decades ago, and church officials knew of similar reports about the priest dating back to the 1970s, attorneys for the victim announced Wednesday. The plaintiff...
DA: Priest Who Died Friday
Killed Altar Boy in 1972
May 24, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
DA: Priest Who Died Friday Killed Altar Boy in 1972
Richard Lavigne was about to be arrested for murder of 13-year-old Danny Croteau
- Defrocked Catholic priest Richard Lavigne died before he could face justice for the murder of 13-year-old altar boy Danny Croteau almost 50 years ago—but the victim's older brother believes Lavigne is now facing a higher power. Danny was found dead in a Springfield, Massachusetts, river on April 14,...
France's Worst Case of
Clergy Abuse Is Over
Mar 17, 2020 1:08 AM CDT
France's Worst Case of Clergy Abuse Is Over
Ex-priest who abused at least 75 boys is sentenced to 5 years
- A French ex-priest who acknowledged sexually abusing at least 75 boys over decades was sentenced Monday to five years in prison, in France’s worst case of clergy abuse to reach trial. The court in Lyon issued the verdict against 74-year-old Bernard Preynat behind closed doors because the coronavirus outbreak...
Child Sex Convictions
Upheld for Former
Vatican No. 3
Aug 21, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
Child Sex Convictions Upheld for Former Vatican No. 3
Pell to be stripped of Order of Australia honor
- An Australian appeals court by a 2-1 ruling Wednesday upheld convictions against Cardinal George Pell, the most senior Catholic to be found guilty of sexually abusing children . The Victoria state Court of Appeal rejected Pell's appeal of a unanimous jury verdict in December that he was guilty of molesting...
Why Accused Priests Came
to This Michigan Building
Jul 29, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Why Accused Priests Came to This Michigan Building
AP looks at under-the-radar group Opus Bono Sacerdotii
- The visiting priests arrived discreetly, day and night. Stripped of their collars and cassocks, they went unnoticed in the tiny Midwestern town of Dryden, Mich., as they were escorted into a dingy warehouse across from an elementary school playground. They had been brought to town by a small nonprofit group...
Vatican Has New Law
on Sex Abuse Complaints
May 9, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Vatican Has New Law on Sex Abuse Complaints
For first time, a system is in place to investigate bishops, other higher-ups
- Pope Francis issued new rules Thursday on how the church should handle sexual abuse allegations. Some key points of the decree, called "You Are the Light of the World," which takes effect June 1:
For the first time, priests and nuns are required to report abuse
Catholic Leaders in Texas
Name 286 Accused
Feb 2, 2019 1:31 PM CST
Catholic Leaders in Texas Name 286 Accused
Dioceses identify those accused of sexually abusing minors
- Catholic leaders in Texas on Thursday identified 286 priests and others accused of sexually abusing children, a number that represents one of the largest collections of names to be released since an explosive grand jury report last year in Pennsylvania, the AP reports. Fourteen dioceses in Texas named those credibly...
Pope Demands 'Vicious
Wolves' Turn Themselves In
Dec 21, 2018 8:55 AM CST
Pope Demands 'Vicious Wolves' Turn Themselves In
Priests who abuse children must face 'human justice,' he says
- Pope Francis vowed Friday that the Catholic Church will "never again" cover up clergy sex abuse and demanded that priests who have raped and molested children turn themselves in. Francis dedicated his annual Christmas speech to the Vatican bureaucracy to abuse, evidence that a year of devastating revelations of...
Illinois AG: Names of 500
Accused Priests Kept Hidden
Dec 20, 2018 9:40 AM CST
Illinois AG: Names of 500 Accused Priests Kept Hidden
Claims involving only one victim often found not credible: report
- The Catholic Church in Illinois withheld the names of at least 500 priests accused of sexually abusing children, while nearly 75% of allegations were either not investigated or investigated but not substantiated, according to a scathing report from the state's attorney general. Claims involving just one victim were often...
Pope Accepts Resignation
of Disgraced Archbishop
Jul 31, 2018 1:48 AM CDT
Pope Accepts Resignation of Disgraced Archbishop
Australian acknowledges 'growing level of hurt'
- After repeatedly insisting that he would remain in his position until the appeals process was exhausted, the most senior Catholic cleric ever to be convicted of covering up sexual abuse has resigned. Pope Francis has accepted the resignation of Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson, who was sentenced to 12 months of...
Archbishop Who Covered Up
Abuse Sentenced to 12 Months
Jul 3, 2018 12:07 AM CDT
Archbishop Who Covered Up Abuse Sentenced to 12 Months
He failed to report priest's abuse of altar boys
- The most senior Roman Catholic cleric to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse was sentenced to 12 months in detention by an Australian court Tuesday in a landmark case welcomed by some abuse survivors as a strong warning to institutions that fail to protect children. Newcastle Magistrate Robert...
He Doled Out Hail Marys to
Abuse Victim. Now, a Verdict
May 22, 2018 2:53 AM CDT
He Doled Out Hail Marys to Abuse Victim. Now, a Verdict
Archbishop Philip Wilson found guilty of covering up child sex abuse
- An archbishop accused of turning a blind eye to the abuse of altar boys by a pedophile priest has become the most senior Catholic ever convicted of concealing child molestation. An Australian court has found Philip Wilson, archbishop of Adelaide, guilty of covering up the abuse in the 1970s, the...
Every Bishop in Chile
Tells Pope They Will Resign
May 18, 2018 7:34 AM CDT
Every Bishop in Chile Tells Pope They Will Resign
Their fate is now in hands of pope in midst of church's long-running abuse saga
- Every Chilean bishop offered to resign Friday over a sex abuse and cover-up scandal, in the biggest shakeup ever in the Catholic Church's long-running abuse saga. The bishops announced at the end of an emergency summit with Pope Francis that all 31 active bishops and three retired ones had...
Stun Victims of
Jan 19, 2018 6:50 AM CST
Pope's Remarks Stun Victims of Pedophile Priest
He accuses them of slandering bishop
- Pope Francis accused victims of Chile's most notorious pedophile of slander Thursday, an astonishing end to a visit meant to help heal the wounds of a sex abuse scandal that has cost the Catholic Church its credibility in the country. Francis said that until he sees proof that Bishop...
Freed Pedophile Priest Moves
Across From Kids' Dance Studio
Jul 30, 2017 8:05 AM CDT
Freed Pedophile Priest Moves Across From Kids' Dance Studio
Mass. town is upset as Paul Shanley moves in after controversial release from prison
- A defrocked priest at the heart of Boston's Catholic clergy sex abuse scandal was released from prison Friday and settled into an apartment across the street from a children's dance studio. Paul Shanley, who was convicted of raping a boy in the 1980s, moved to the town of...
Set to Go Free
Jul 26, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
'Monster' Pedophile Priest Shanley Set to Go Free
'We fear for the safety of children,' says SNAP
- A pedophile priest is scheduled to be released from prison in Massachusetts within days, drawing outrage from the families of his alleged victims who say he's a threat to children. Paul Shanley, 86, was sentenced in 2005 to 12 to 15 years in prison for the rape of a...
Won't Be Allowed
Alone With Kids
Jun 24, 2016 7:17 AM CDT
Montreal Priests Won't Be Allowed Alone With Kids
Chancellor says it's about protecting victims and the church
- Some Catholic churches in Canada have banned priests from being alone with children—and more are about to start. The Catholic Church of Montreal says it will bar priests, volunteers, educators, and anyone else in "the orbit of the church" from being alone with children at 10 parishes beginning...
Pope Creates New Court for
Abuse Cover-Up Bishops
Jun 11, 2015 12:00 AM CDT
Pope Creates New Court for Abuse Cover-Up Bishops
It will punish those who 'failed to protect their flock'
- Pope Francis has taken the biggest step yet to crack down on bishops who cover up for priests who rape and molest children, creating a new tribunal inside the Vatican to hear cases of bishops accused of failing to protect their flock. The initiative has significant legal and theological implications,...
Sep 24, 2014 5:00 AM CDT
Vatican Charges Ex-Archbishop With Pedophilia
Jozef Wesolowski's arrest is first ever in Vatican for child sexual abuse
- The Vatican arrested former Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski yesterday on pedophilia charges and placed him under house arrest until trial—the first official charges within the city-state's walls for child sexual abuse, Reuters reports. It's the latest step for Pope Francis, who has a "zero tolerance" philosophy for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.