Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Among Nobel Winners:
Guy Who Proved Einstein Wrong
Oct 6, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Among Nobel Winners: Guy Who Proved Einstein Wrong
Physics honor will be split between 3 scientists for their work on black holes
- Three physicists have won this year’s Nobel Prize in physics for black hole discoveries and will split the $1.1 million award. The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said Tuesday that Briton Roger Penrose will receive half of this year's prize "for the discovery that black hole...
of Black Holes Is Rattled
Sep 2, 2020 11:46 AM CDT
Scientists' Understanding of Black Holes Is Rattled
2 black holes merged into never-before-seen size
- Black holes are getting stranger—even to astronomers, who've now detected the signal from a long-ago violent collision of two black holes that created a new one of a size that had never been seen before. "It's the biggest bang since the Big Bang observed by humanity,...
Scientists Just Found
Closest Black Hole to Earth
May 7, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Scientists Just Found Closest Black Hole to Earth
'Washington, DC, would quite easily fit into the black hole'
- Meet your new but shy galactic neighbor: A black hole left over from the death of a fleeting young star, per the AP . European astronomers have found the closest black hole to Earth yet, so near that the two stars dancing with it can be seen by the naked eye....
This Black Hole Can't
Exist. And There It Is
Nov 30, 2019 4:15 PM CST
This Black Hole Can't Exist. And There It Is
LB-1 is way more massive than other stellar black holes in our galaxy
- A stellar black hole, 70 times the mass of our sun? Not likely, experts said—and yet, there it is. A group of Chinese-led scientists have spotted this "monster" black hole some 15,000 light-years away and dubbed it LB-1, the
reports. "Black holes of such...
Star Will 'Die All Alone' After
Being 'Evicted' by Black Hole
Nov 15, 2019 11:50 AM CST
Star Will 'Die All Alone' After Being 'Evicted' by Black Hole
Launched from Milky Way center, S5-HVS1 is going so fast it won't ever be able to get back to our galaxy
- A "serendipitous discovery" has been made, and it's an exciting but bittersweet one. Five million years ago, a star got too close to what Space.com calls the Milky Way's "heart of darkness"—a supermassive black hole named Sagittarius A* — and got hurled away...
Black Holes Contain
a Mysterious Force
Oct 5, 2019 1:30 PM CDT
Black Holes Contain a Mysterious Force
Some of them are helping the universe expand, study says
- Black holes are dense singularities that suck up matter, right? Not always, according to two scientists who say some black holes are likely objects filled with a mysterious energy. In Astrophysical Journal , Kevin Croker and Joel Weiner argue that the expansion of the universe—which is accelerating, apparently due to...
Planet 9 Might Not Be a Planet
Sep 28, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
Planet 9 Might Not Be a Planet
Two young PhDs offer a bold new theory
- "What if Planet 9 is a Primordial Black Hole?" That's the title of a new paper about the mysterious gravity source at the edge of our solar system, Business Insider reports. Posted Tuesday on arXiv , the paper suggests that the still-unseen source—which some call Planet Nine, or...
Trolls Target Female Scientist
Apr 13, 2019 2:50 PM CDT
Trolls Target Female Scientist
Online commentators diminish the work of Katie Boumann
- Katie Boumann's rise to scientific stardom came with a downside: online trolls who claimed her work was really done by a man, CNN reports. The 29-year-old MIT graduate helped create the algorithms and imaging process that allowed scientists to produce the first-ever image of a black hole on Wednesday....
This Isn't Just
a Black Hole.
Apr 12, 2019 7:26 AM CDT
This Isn't Just a Black Hole. It's 'Powehi'
A Hawaiian name is given in honor of its contribution
- "As soon as he said it, I nearly fell off my chair." That was the reaction from the deputy director of the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope on Mauna Kea, Hawaii. It's one of two telescopes on Mauna Kea that was used to produce the first-ever image of...
a Star Out
Apr 11, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Black Hole Image Makes a Star Out of Scientist
Katie Bouman's team developed needed algorithm
- For the rest of the world, it was an incredible first: a stunning image of a black hole 55 million light-years from Earth. For Katie Bouman , it was all that, plus the culmination of three years of work, the realization of a goal that scientists thought to be impossible, and...
This Is a Sight No Human
Has Ever Seen Before
Apr 10, 2019 10:12 AM CDT
This Is a Sight No Human Has Ever Seen Before
Black hole is in the galaxy Messier 87, or M87
- Mankind has now something it has never seen before: an image of "the most mysterious objects in the universe"—the black hole. On Wednesday, six simultaneous press conferences were held around the globe, in Washington, Brussels, Santiago, Shanghai, Taipei, and Tokyo, reports Reuters . There, researchers shared the first...
We May Soon See Something
'No Human Has Ever Seen'
in case you missed it
Apr 7, 2019 3:52 PM CDT
We May Soon See Something 'No Human Has Ever Seen'
Scientists may reveal photo of Sagittarius A* black hole in Milky Way
- Mark your calendars for Wednesday, April 10: You won't want to miss the chance to possibly see "something no human has ever seen before." That's how
is framing the big reveal scientists are expected to make—a photo of Sagittarius A*, a black hole...
Our Milky Way
Is Headed Toward
a Violent 'Merger'
Jan 4, 2019 10:39 AM CST
Our Milky Way Is Headed Toward a Violent 'Merger'
But we've got about 2 billion years to prepare
- It'll be a fireworks show for the ages, but you won't be around to see it. Consider that a blessing in disguise: The display expected by astrophysicists at Durham University in the UK will only come as a nearby galaxy smashes into our own in about 2 billion...
Milky Way's Center
Is a Black Hole 'Farm'
Apr 5, 2018 12:30 AM CDT
Milky Way's Center Is a Black Hole 'Farm'
Researchers believe there are thousands
- The center of our galaxy is teeming with black holes, sort of like a Times Square for strange super-gravity objects, astronomers have discovered. For decades, scientists theorized that circling in the center of galaxies, including ours, were lots of stellar black holes, collapsed giant stars where the gravity is so...
Scientists Detect 2nd
Gravitational Wave From
Crashing Black Holes
Jun 15, 2016 6:55 PM CDT
Scientists Detect 2nd Gravitational Wave From Crashing Black Holes
A crucial second note heard in soundtrack of chaotic cosmos
- Astronomers say they've heard the echoes of two more crashing black holes—a discovery that hints that the unseen violence of the universe may be pretty common, the AP reports. They detected a second gravitational wave. That's the warp in the fabric in the cosmos that Albert Einstein...
Rumors of a
Jan 12, 2016 3:03 PM CST
Rumors of a Massive Physics Discovery Swirl
'Probably a shoo-in for this year’s Nobel Prize in Physics'
- Rarely does a tweet not involving a Kardashian or a cat stir up such a swell of excitement. On Monday, physicist Lawrence Krauss tweeted that scientists may have discovered gravitational waves, phenomena first predicted by Albert Einstein more than 100 years ago but never observed, Gizmodo reports. "If true...
'There Are No
Jan 25, 2014 3:52 PM CST
Hawking's New Theory: 'There Are No Black Holes'
He addresses conflicting theories of physics
- Stephen Hawking helped develop current theories on black holes—but now, he's saying there aren't any. New Scientist explains his thinking, focusing on what's known in physics as the "firewall paradox," which deals with a black hole's event horizon. That's an "invisible...
Secrets of Mysterious
Black Hole Jets Revealed
Nov 14, 2013 12:54 PM CST
Secrets of Mysterious Black Hole Jets Revealed
Jets have power to spew iron and nickel, study finds
- For years, astronomers have wondered what exactly black holes spew into our universe—and now they know. Iron and nickel have been found shooting from the relativistic jets of a black hole several times larger than our sun, but the finding is more surprising than it may seem. It shows...
NASA Spots Nearby
'Young' Black Hole
Feb 14, 2013 12:12 PM CST
NASA Spots Nearby 'Young' Black Hole
Could it be a gateway to another universe?
- NASA has spotted what appears to be the galaxy's newest black hole—and it's relatively nearby. The Chandra X-Ray Observatory has spotted the aftermath of a super nova that, from Earth's vantage point, is just 1,000 years old, the agency reports . (Of course, it's 26,...
Nov 29, 2012 6:30 AM CST
Massive Black Hole Stumps Scientists
Its mass equals 17B suns, turning previous theory on its head
- An enormous, newly discovered black hole has scientists questioning what they thought they knew about black holes to begin with. Usually, supermassive black holes make up about 0.1% of the mass of the stars at a galaxy's center, known as a stellar bulge. But in this case, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Scientists Take Issue With Joe Rogan Podcast Discussion
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
This Airline Is the Best of All Major US Carriers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.