Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ronnie Lee Gardner
Utah Aims to Bring
Back Firing Squads
Nov 20, 2014 12:30 AM CST
Utah Aims to Bring Back Firing Squads
State wants backup method in case of drug shortages
- Utah—the only state to have executed somebody by firing squad this century—is talking about bringing back the execution method it recently phased out. A bill to use firing squads when drugs for lethal injections can't be obtained sailed through a legislative committee and will be before the...
Is Death by
the Way to Go?
death penalty debate
Jun 19, 2010 5:30 PM CDT
Is Death by Firing Squad the Way to Go?
Or is lethal injection better?
- Convicted murder Ronnie Lee Gardner was executed by firing squad just after midnight yesterday—at his own request. Did he make the right choice? Though the method may sound gory—Gardner was strapped into a chair with a mesh seat to allow the blood to drain through—it's not...
Utah AG Tweets
Jun 18, 2010 5:30 PM CDT
Utah AG Tweets Execution News
Critics find social media approach disrespectful
- Today's execution of Ronnie Lee Gardner —the first by firing squad in 14 years—was also likely the first execution announced on Twitter, Mashable reports. Utah AG Mark Shurtleff tweeted about the event: “I just gave the go ahead to Corrections Director to proceed with Gardner’s execution....
Utah Firing Squad
Jun 18, 2010 7:14 AM CDT
Utah Firing Squad Executes Inmate
No reprieve for Ronnie Lee Gardner
- Ronnie Lee Gardner became the first American executed by firing squad in the 21st century at just after midnight in a Utah prison. The convicted killer was strapped into a chair and five police marksmen fired at a target on his chest, AP reports. One gun was loaded with an...
Victim's Family Aims
to Block Killer's Execution
May 6, 2010 3:20 AM CDT
Victim's Family Aims to Block Killer's Execution
Kin: Slain lawyer 'didn't support death penalty'
- A murder victim's loved ones are fighting to spare the life of the man who killed him. Ronnie Lee Gardner is due to die by firing squad in Utah next month for attorney Michael Burdell's murder, but the victim's father, former girlfriend, and close friend will testify on the killer's...
Opts for Execution
by Firing Squad
Apr 23, 2010 2:50 PM CDT
Condemned Killer Opts for Execution by Firing Squad
Ronnie Lee Gardner set to die June 18 after 25-year legal battle
- A Utah man convicted in the 1985 murder of a lawyer has exhausted his legal options and will be executed in June—by a firing squad. Ronnie Lee Gardner, who was attempting to escape from a courthouse in Salt Lake City when he shot and killed Michael Burdell, said he...
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.