Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Canada Acts on
Maple Syrup Shortage
Nov 28, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Canada Acts on Maple Syrup Shortage
Tapping strategic reserves
- While President Biden unveiled plans to pull 50 million barrels of oil from strategic reserves to bring down US energy costs, Canada was tapping into their own stockpiles. But there's nothing crude about what America's neighbor's next door are releasing to cover shortages, though it is very...
After 130 Years,
Jun 17, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
After 130 Years, Aunt Jemima Is Getting an Overhaul
Aunt Jemima brand is changing logo, name to 'make progress toward racial equality'
- For decades, supermarket shoppers have seen bottles of maple syrup represented by log cabins, matrons with aprons, and one especially controversial brand that's now getting an overhaul. Per NBC News , Quaker Oats, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, announced Wednesday it will completely change both the logo and name of its...
NE's Maple Syrup Season
Off to an Early Start
Mar 11, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
NE's Maple Syrup Season Off to an Early Start
'It's a little disturbing that we're starting so early'
- The annual maple season got off to another early start with warmups in parts of New England, reports the AP , and producers are hopeful the recent cold and snow will extend it. Some producers in Vermont, the country's largest producer of maple syrup, have been going strong and producing...
Maple Syrup Is
About to Go High-Tech
Feb 26, 2017 8:33 AM CST
Maple Syrup Is About to Go High-Tech
New technology can cut time to boil sap into syrup in half
- Maple syrup doesn't get that rich flavor and color in an instant. It's a long process from tree to bottle. But an improved technology could keep maple sugarers from working late into the night boiling sap into syrup, reports the AP . The new machine can remove more water...
It Might Be the Greatest
Food Crime in History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 11, 2016 7:58 AM CST
It Might Be the Greatest Food Crime in History
'Vanity Fair' takes a deep dive into maple syrup theft of 2012
- It was an epic heist
the most Canadian crime ever, to boot: Back in 2012, thieves stole 540,000 gallons of maple syrup worth at least $13 million. It was nothing less than mind-boggling, writes Rich Cohen at
. "It felt less like a crime than a...
How We Get Maple Syrup
May Change in a Huge Way
Jan 25, 2014 7:24 AM CST
How We Get Maple Syrup May Change in a Huge Way
Think farms, not forests, and much bigger yields
- Maple syrup has traditionally been a product of forests, not farms—but a new discovery could change that. Researchers found to their surprise that mature maple trees weren't necessary to generate large volumes of sap. Instead, the stuff can come from saplings with their tops removed, the University of...
Nov 6, 2013 7:14 PM CST
$400K Worth of California Walnuts Stolen
Is there a 'nut mafia' to blame?
- Stop laughing at the Canadians over that multimillion-dollar maple syrup heist . The US has its own weird food thievery going on: walnuts. As the
Los Angeles Times
reports, ambitious thieves stole $400,000 worth of the nuts from trailers at an orchard outside Modesto, California, last week. That would be...
Syrup Thieves Tapping
Maple Trees in Maine
Apr 5, 2013 4:08 PM CDT
Syrup Thieves Tapping Maple Trees in Maine
Small-time operators stealing sap
- Remember last year's great maple syrup heist in Canada, the one in which a mind-boggling $20 million worth of syrup got stolen? A smaller-scale heist is now taking place across Maine, one tree at a time, reports the
. Private landowners in remote parts of the state are...
Inside the Brazen
$18M Maple-Syrup Heist
Dec 20, 2012 9:43 AM CST
Inside the Brazen $18M Maple-Syrup Heist
NYT gives the back-story behind the 16M-pound theft
- With Tuesday's arrests of three of the thieves behind the $18 million maple syrup heist uncovered in Quebec in August, investigators are revealing details of how the job was done, reports the
New York Times
. But in order to understand the crime, you need to know the victim: the...
Cops Arrest 3 in Massive
Maple Syrup Heist
Dec 18, 2012 2:30 PM CST
Cops Arrest 3 in Massive Maple Syrup Heist
Theft was so big it affected global supply levels
- Police in Canada say three people have been arrested in connection with a massive maple syrup heist from a Quebec warehouse, which put a dent in the global supply. Authorities never disclosed the exact amount of maple syrup stolen in August, but the warehouse contained Quebec's maple syrup reserves—...
Stolen Maple Syrup
Oct 4, 2012 3:22 AM CDT
Canadians Seize Stolen Maple Syrup
But no arrests made yet in $20m heist
- Authorities in Canada appear to be closing in on the sticky-fingered crooks behind history's biggest maple syrup heist . Police have seized more than $1.4 million worth of syrup—500,000 pounds of the stuff—from a warehouse in New Brunswick, the
Globe and Mail
reports. Investigators will test...
Thieves Steal Millions
Worth of ... Maple Syrup
Aug 31, 2012 12:48 PM CDT
Thieves Steal Millions Worth of ... Maple Syrup
Sticky loot in Canada could be worth up to $30M
- Pancake enthusiasts, be on the lookout—thieves in Quebec have made off with a "substantial amount" of maple syrup, and the sweet haul could be worth as much as $30 million. A routine inventory check last week of a temporary warehouse where the syrup was being stored revealed the...
Hot Weather Leads
to 'Yucky' Maple Syrup
May 17, 2012 1:48 PM CDT
Hot Weather Leads to 'Yucky' Maple Syrup
And maple trees did not produce nearly as much as usual
- The record high temperatures in March resulted in maple syrup that one syrup distributor refers to as simply “yucky,” and total syrup output in the US fell as much as 40%, Reuters reports. "It was kind of a disaster," the company owner says with regard to...
Syrup Research No Joke: Industry to McCain
Dec 17, 2010 11:19 AM CST
Syrup Research No Joke: Industry to McCain
Sen. targets maple topping in anti-pork campaign
- The omnibus spending bill may have failed , but one sticky situation persists: In compiling his list of the bill's 10 most egregious wastes of money, John McCain ridiculed a $165,000 earmark for maple syrup research as an example of absurd pork—but the maple industry says it’s anything...
on Syrup Diet
May 7, 2010 12:08 PM CDT
Blame Naomi Campbell's Rage on Syrup Diet
You'd be angry too, if you ate like she did
- Naomi Campbell’s rage can be explained by her “abandonment issues,” she told Oprah Winfrey recently. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s because she
. The supermodel frequently goes on a "maple syrup diet" that “isn't so much a diet as self-flagellation minus the...
Popular on Newser
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.