Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Guys, Have an Older
Brother? It May Play a
Part in Your Sexuality
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Guys, Have an Older Brother? It May Play a Part in Your Sexuality
Researchers find men with older brother have 38% higher chance of being gay than those without
- Past research has suggested that men with at least one older brother are more likely to be gay—a phenomenon called the fraternal birth order effect. Now, a new study by Canadian and German scientists adds more evidence to that theory, and it points to possible antibodies produced by the...
Advantage for Firstborn
Kids Shows Up Early
Feb 9, 2017 10:08 AM CST
Advantage for Firstborn Kids Shows Up Early
They have higher IQs by age 1, say researchers
- Firstborns really do have an advantage, a new UK study suggests. Research out of Edinburgh University finds that there's a measurable IQ difference between firstborns and their siblings, and it shows up as early as age 1, reports the BBC . The reason? Parents tend to spend more time with...
How Birth Order May
Affect Your Weight
Aug 29, 2015 8:50 AM CDT
How Birth Order May Affect Your Weight
First-born sisters tend to be heavier as adults
- Attention, big sisters: First-born women are more likely to be overweight or obese than their younger sisters, a new study suggests. The
reports that researchers at the University of Auckland looked at 13,406 pairs of Swedish sisters and found the older sibling was 29% more likely to...
Firstborns Have Higher IQs
—but There's a Catch
Jul 17, 2015 10:10 AM CDT
Firstborns Have Higher IQs —but There's a Catch
It's a difference of just one IQ point on average: study
- Firstborns, get ready to throw this in your siblings' faces: A massive study of 377,000 high school students—the "biggest in history looking at birth order and personality," author Brent Roberts says—shows those born first tend to have higher IQs and different personality traits compared to...
Secret Perks of
Being Middle Kid
Aug 28, 2011 11:47 AM CDT
Secret Perks of Being Middle Kid
Because of their birth order, middle children work well with others
- The stereotypical "middle child" feels neglected and overlooked, and is surely at a disadvantage when compared to his or her older and younger siblings—right? Wrong. New book
The Secret Power of Middle Children
reveals that such ideas are misconceptions, and the truth is that middle children actually learn...
Firstborn Kids Are Smarter, Study Says
Aug 13, 2010 10:17 AM CDT
Firstborn Kids Are Smarter, Study Says
...but their brothers and sisters get better grades
- Firstborn kids are generally more intelligent than their brothers and sisters, but younger siblings do better in school and are more outgoing, according to a new study. Previous birth-order research looked at children in isolation—e.g., how many presidents are firstborns?—but the new study examined 90 pairs of...
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Experts Say Anne Frank Bombshell Is 'Full of Errors'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.