Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
See How the World's
Oldest Person Stays Alive
Mar 10, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
See How the World's Oldest Person Stays Alive
Kane Tanaka likes studying math and playing Othello
- A 116-year-old Japanese woman who loves playing the board game Othello was honored Saturday as the world's oldest living person by Guinness World Records, the AP reports. The global authority on records officially recognized Kane Tanaka in a ceremony at the nursing home where she lives in Fukuoka, in...
Oldest Person in US
Dead at 114
Jan 8, 2019 6:36 PM CST
Oldest Person in US Dead at 114
Lessie Brown attributed her long life to 'God's will'
- Lessie Brown, a 114-year-old Ohio woman who was believed to be the oldest person in the United States , died Tuesday, her grandson said. Brown, who had been living with one of her daughters, died at the home in Cleveland Heights, according to Ronald Wilson. Brown said in 2013 it was...
'Aunt V,' World's
Dies at 117
Sep 17, 2017 1:45 PM CDT
'Aunt V,' World's Oldest Person, Dies at 117
Jamaica resident Violet Brown credited her long life to hard work, Christian faith
- The world's oldest person has died in Jamaica. Violet Brown was 117 years and 189 days old, the AP reports. The woman known as "Aunt V" died Friday at a local hospital, where she had been treated for heart arrhythmia and dehydration. Prime Minister Andrew Holness expressed his...
in 1800s Has
Nov 29, 2016 2:06 PM CST
Last Living Person Born in 1800s Has a Birthday
Congrats to Emma Morano of Italy, oldest person in the world, on her 117th birthday
- When Emma Morano entered this world, the Second Boer War had just begun , Cuba had just been freed from Spanish rule, and NYC's Windsor Hotel had recently burned down. Let us complete the history timeline for you: It was November 29, 1899, making Morano—who's still watching the...
Jul 7, 2015 7:53 AM CDT
Why Women Live Longer Than Men
Differences in life expectancy became pronounced in the late 1800s
- There's a reason we don't typically call Earth's oldest person the oldest woman in the world—the oldest person is pretty much always a woman. In fact, just two of the world's 53 living supercentenarians (people 110 and older) are men, reports IFL Science . But why...
This 46-Year-Old Woman's Baby Set a Record
May 28, 2014 11:31 AM CDT
This 46-Year-Old Woman's Baby Set a Record
Belinda Slaughter gave birth via IVF, using her own fresh eggs
- A 46-year-old Florida woman became a new mom to a healthy baby boy last year via IVF—and though it's not unheard of for a woman to deliver a baby at her age, what's medically remarkable is that Belinda Slaughter didn't use frozen or donated embryos, but...
Sep 10, 2010 10:09 AM CDT
230K Japanese Centenarians Missing
Hundreds would be 150 years old if still alive
- Either there's a massive, secret senior center somewhere, or there's a whole lot of fraud going on in Japan. After discovering that Tokyo's oldest man had actually been dead for 30 years , the country starting calling on its centenarians—and in addition to one gruesome find , it's discovered that some...
Found in Backpack
Aug 20, 2010 1:18 PM CDT
104-Year-Old Tokyo Woman Found in Backpack
Her son kept her there for nine years, he says
- After discovering that Tokyo’s (supposedly) oldest man had been dead for 30 years and its oldest woman is missing , police began a search for other Japanese centenarians—and found one in her son’s backpack. The remains of the 104-year-old woman were stuffed in the pack for nine years,...
Popular on Newser
Teen Defeated Their Daughters. They Forced Probe Into Her Gender
FBI Report Details Angelina Jolie's 2016 Plane Ride With Brad Pitt
Apple Warns of Serious Security Flaw
Planes on Final Approach to Airport Collide in Mid-Air
Finnish PM: 'I Resent' That Videos of Me Partying Leaked
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.