Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41,
Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
Oct 15, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41, Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
'A frightful scene' in Amasra, Turkey, after Friday explosion
- Funerals for miners killed in a coal mine explosion in northern Turkey began Saturday as officials raised the death toll to at least 41 people. Desperate relatives had waited all night in the cold outside the state-owned Turkish Hard Coal Enterprise's (TTK) mine in the town of Amasra, in...
to Trapped Miners
Could Take 11 Months
Aug 26, 2022 6:46 AM CDT
Families: Getting to Trapped Miners Could Take 11 Months
10 men have been trapped since Aug. 3
- "We're desperate. We don't know what to do. We can't accept this." So said one of the relatives of the 10 miners who have been trapped in a flooded coal mine in Mexico since Aug. 3 upon hearing the news that it could between 6...
52 Miners and Rescuers Die
After Methane Gas Explosion
Nov 25, 2021 4:15 PM CST
52 Miners and Rescuers Die After Methane Gas Explosion
Siberian officials say there's no chance of finding more survivors
This file has been updated throughout with new information about casualties and details of the explosion.
A devastating blast in a Siberian coal mine Thursday left 52 miners and rescuers dead about 820 feet underground, Russian officials said. Hours after a methane gas explosion and fire filled the mine...
Trapped Miners All Freed
After 'Physically Taxing' Climb
Sep 29, 2021 7:29 AM CDT
Trapped Miners All Freed After 'Physically Taxing' Climb
They used a secondary ladder system to reach the surface
More than three dozen miners who were trapped underground in central Canada on Sunday have all been freed thanks to ladders. The BBC reports a secondary ladder system enabled them to leave the mine, but required that they climb as many as 4,000 feet to the surface. The...
Knocked 5 Times.
He Heard 20
Jan 27, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Trapped Miner Knocked 5 Times. He Heard 20 Knocks Back
Workers at mine in Shandong, China, describe ordeal after explosion trapped them for 2 weeks
- The explosion happened in an instant. Wang Kang, one of 22 workers trapped some 2,000 feet underground as debris filled the shaft at the under-construction gold mine in China's Shandong province, was sent flying. "It blasted us really far away, and our safety helmets cracked," the...
After Life Emerges
From Chinese Mine, Death
Jan 25, 2021 2:21 PM CST
After Life Emerges From Chinese Mine, Death
9 more workers found dead weeks after gold mine explosion
- Chinese rescuers have found the bodies of nine workers killed in explosions at a gold mine, raising the death toll to 10 , officials said Monday. Eleven others were rescued a day earlier after being trapped underground for two weeks at the mine in Shandong province. One person is still missing....
After 11 Days Trapped
Underground, a Death
Jan 21, 2021 6:18 AM CST
After 11 Days Trapped Underground, a Death
Worker was said to be among a group of 11 stuck in one chamber
- One of the dozen workers known to be alive following a Jan. 10 blast in a Chinese gold mine has died, state media reported Thursday. Rescuers have been in contact with 11 workers trapped in one chamber and have delivered food, medicine, and other supplies to them. State media said...
Miners Trapped for 9 Days
Request Pickles, Sausages
Jan 19, 2021 1:18 PM CST
Miners Trapped for 9 Days Request Pickles, Sausages
Workers trapped in China gold mine are ready for more than nutritional liquids
- A dozen miners who have been trapped 1,700 feet beneath the surface since Jan. 10 are ready to eat more than nutritional liquids while they wait to be rescued. Using a telephone line that has been newly delivered to the No. 6 chamber of the gold mine, where all...
Miners Trapped for 7 Days
Manage to Get Note to Surface
Jan 18, 2021 7:33 AM CST
Miners Trapped for 7 Days Manage to Get Note to Surface
At least 12 of the Chinese miners are alive
- A blast in a gold mine in eastern China trapped 22 men below ground on Jan. 10. One week later, 12 of those men managed to get word to the top that they were still alive. The BBC reports that after rescuers determined ropes they had lowered into a narrow...
Spot 8 Men Alive in Mine
Dec 30, 2015 7:32 AM CST
Infrared Cameras Spot 8 Men Alive in Mine
They became trapped 5 days ago
- Rescuers using infrared cameras to peer into darkness at a wrecked mine in eastern China on Wednesday found eight surviving miners who were trapped for five days after a collapse so violent it registered as a seismic event. The disaster on Christmas Day at the gypsum mine in Shandong province...
22 Trapped Miners
Aug 30, 2014 8:59 AM CDT
Nicaragua Frees 22 Trapped Miners
But 4 are still missing after collapse
- Nicaraguan rescuers have saved 22 of at least 26 workers trapped in a mine collapse and were working to find the rest. First lady Rosario Murillo said 20 of the miners were freed late yesterday, in addition to two who made their way to safety shortly after the Thursday morning...
May 15, 2014 8:42 AM CDT
Engineers: Mining Disaster Was 'Murder'
Anger erupts as PM's aide appears to kick protester
- With the death toll now at 282 and the hope of finding survivors diminishing, anger over yesterday's mine disaster in Turkey is spiking fast—and some aren't hesitating to point fingers. "WHAT HAPPENED IN SOMA IS NOT FATE, IT IS MURDER," a branch of the Chamber...
May 14, 2014 10:35 AM CDT
Protesters Tear-Gassed After Turkey Mine Blast
Death toll rises to 238; 120 still trapped, says PM
- With the death toll from Turkey's mine explosion at 238, some are attacking a mine management system that "thinks only about money," as one worker puts it. Anger has sparked protests, including one that saw 800 student demonstrators hit with tear gas and water cannons in Ankara,...
in Turkey Mine Blast
May 14, 2014 12:22 AM CDT
201 Dead, Hundreds Trapped in Turkey Mine Blast
Rescue efforts underway
- Yesterday was a deadly day for miners : An explosion and a fire killed at least 201 workers at a coal mine in western Turkey and hundreds more remained trapped underground, government officials said today. Energy Minister Taner Yildiz said 787 people were inside the coal mine in Soma at the...
Trapped South African
Miners Refuse to
Feb 16, 2014 3:45 PM CST
Trapped South African Miners Refuse to Come Up
Some emerge, but others fear being arrested
- About a dozen miners have been freed from a mine in South Africa since getting trapped there yesterday, but others are refusing to emerge because they don't want to be arrested for illegal mining, Reuters and CNN report. One miner is trying to convince about 19 others to surface,...
S. Africa Mine
Feb 16, 2014 10:59 AM CST
Trapped Miners Begin Emerging From Illegal S. Africa Mine
Rescuers in contact with 30 illegal miners near surface; more below
- A handful of the 200-plus illegal South African miners trapped in an abandoned gold mine near Johannesburg have begun to emerge, reports the BBC . Rescuers are in contact with a group of about 30 miners who are near the surface, reports Reuters . "They told us there are about 200...
Mar 20, 2013 8:44 AM CDT
Subway Worker Rescued in 'Quicksand' Ordeal
Meanwhile, 19 miners rescued in Poland
- More than 140 rescue workers converged on a New York subway construction project last night after a worker became trapped in a 75-foot-deep tunnel, sunk up to his waist in what an FDNY source described as "cement-like" mud, the
New York Post
reports. After a host of failed rescue...
50 Trapped in
China Mine Cave-In
Nov 4, 2011 9:01 AM CDT
50 Trapped in China Mine Cave-In
Rescuers pull 7 from rubble; 4 killed
- Rescuers pulled seven injured miners to the surface today and were trying to reach 50 others trapped after a cave-in at a coal mine in central China, state media reported. Four miners were killed when the cave-in blasted rock into the mine shaft last night and 14 managed to escape,...
China Accidents Trap 40 Miners
Jul 2, 2011 6:20 AM CDT
China Accidents Trap 40 Miners
Cave-in and flood hit separate mines
- A coal mine flood in southwestern China trapped 21 miners underground, while a cave-in at another mine today killed at least three workers and left 19 others sealed off, officials said. Rescuers scrambled to reach the miners at the Niupeng coal mine in the county of Pingtang in Guizhou province...
Blast Traps Mexican Miners
May 4, 2011 1:19 AM CDT
Blast Traps Mexican Miners
3 killed, 11 missing after blast in northern Mexico coal mine
- A massive blast at a coal mine in northern Mexico killed three miners and left at least 14 men trapped underground. Rescuers are working through the night and Chilean experts are on the way to assist, CNN reports. Authorities warn that the blast was so powerful that they don't...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.